Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to admit it but I'm a total computer geek. I've lost touch with what's actually hot on the computer scene at the moment as most of it is just multimedia convergence crap - I was more interested in the big PC boom of the late 90's. Now everything has been exploited it's all about refinement and speed rather than new technology...

... However, I still spend a significant amount of my time on my computers and get hot under the collar when it comes to Networking (Not as bad as it sounds!! [:I]). I'm certain there's plenty of 'geeks' on here so could you please rate yourself in the poll!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I work with IT so have to be a geek at some points to get paid. However, I'm not a geek at home, my PC at home is for games, internet and general household stuff.

Ok, so I have 4 PC's, a few printers, lots of technical gadgets, a whole 'design concept' PC which I built and an office, but that's only cus I'm self employed! I aint a geek...I don't think!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm a geek at work, but even then not as much as some people - I'm very stand offish when it comes to stuff like that - I'd rather seem knowledgable than excitable! [:I] lol

At home, well, I surf the net a bit but mostly I like to get out and about and drink copious amounts of alkyhol! [:D]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Comp Sci degree, work in IT, like to have the latest technology and play quite a few games... aint no geek tho [^]

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I entered IT in media as a 1st line analyst 5 years ago but decided to go the management route 3 years ago.I keep my skills and learn new ones because everytime one of my friend or family's pc breaks im the one that has to sort it out. Yawn.........

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'm not a geek,absolutely c**p with computers can just about turn it on.been dieing to post pics but just dont understand how it all works[:I]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't help but do a job properly either when it comes to computers. We're living in halls for this year only at uni but I decided to go and install a wired LAN for the flat with Wall Boxes and everything.

Have also been running Live Coverage from our flat for the past month at http://www.watchourhouse.co.uk. I think I'm gonna go watch a really dirty movie full of rusty bikes to remind myself that I AM straight! [:eek:)][B)]

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by mh on 28/03/2005 21:27:03

hehe we just built a house and put cat5 in every room for a new siemens house system [;)]

What is a Siemens house system? I'm guessing it's integration of all household electronic/entertainment systems? Does it control the lights/locks and more importantly does it come with a clapper?!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
sorry im a geek in denial - I have every gadget available

pocket pc

laptop

digi cam

wifi enabled house

stacks and a loft full of gadgets

but im also quite handy and am as intersted in diy as computersand cars so have hundreds of tools aswell as gadgets

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote: posted by Richard W on 28/03/2005 21:42:41

Definitely a geek Graham - I'm assuming that's you in bedroom 1.....

It is! [8)]

·
Registered
472 Posts
Quote: posted by GrahamOliver on 28/03/2005 21:35:50

hehe we just built a house and put cat5 in every room for a new siemens house system [;)]

What is a Siemens house system? I'm guessing it's integration of all household electronic/entertainment systems? Does it control the lights/locks and more importantly does it come with a clapper?!

http://www2.automation.siemens.com/et/gamma/html_76/products/index.htm

click on the gamma wave link to find out some more

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote: posted by mh on 28/03/2005 22:17:32

Quote: posted by GrahamOliver on 28/03/2005 21:35:50

http://www2.automation.siemens.com/et/gamma/html_76/products/index.htm

click on the gamma wave link to find out some more

I thought it would be something along those lines! You really are a geek! [8D]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts