19" BBS Wheels

ABT Front and rear spoilers fully smoothed into original bumpers

Black stripe on the bonnet following the bonnet lines/Black roof

Rotordisc Brakes all round

Lowered 50mm on H&R Springs

Milltek twin stainless exhaust system

Forge dump valve

Superchips 240bhp remap

I've got an idea in my head of what it's worth but I think the garage are asking too much so would be interesting to hear what you guys would pay for this car?

Tom

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Regardless of the mods its a decent spec.

Book says about £18k - £18.5, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was up at around the 20k mark?

Some of the mods are debateable in terms of saleability, it might narrow out prospective buyers. On the upshot, for someone who loves it and would do mods anyway, it would be perfect, so its worth as much as someone will pay for it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I think it's worth around 20-22 absolute max but they're wanting £24k for it.

It's an absolutely awesome car but they're not budging on the fact and I think it could well be a hard car to shift as I also forgot to mention that it has Lambo doors.

Tom

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't think I would want to pay anything for it!   I'd rather have a standard one and do what I wanted to it, as you say could be a hard one to shift, plus mods never add any value to a car unless it's what you are looking for.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you were selling it to a dealer 17.5K if you were buying 23.5K. That is my experince at least.
Really? So in your opinion you think that the VW dealer are asking a fairly reasonable price for the GTI in question? Looking at other cars on autotrader with the same standard spec they are around £20-21,000 so I really am torn.

The car is awesome but I guess my only concerns are with the doors and reasale. Here's pics anyway for people, opinions welcomed, i've put a refundable deposit on it anyway for the time being while I make my mind up/we come to a deal.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I do think the car looks mean, not my cap of tea, but then I'm an old Git. However the doors do still bother me, I'd imagine all sorts of warranty problems if you had to claim. I think the seller is trying to claw back some of the costs to convert it in the first place.

You have really got to want it IMHO, but if it floats you boat, good luck.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Noooooooooo don't do it. You will never sell it on and if you do you won't get much for it. I would also say that you won't have any of the warranty left. I'd look for something else.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The avoid plague like

Re-arrange to suit :)

Bet
the dealership had a field day on this one - you cah almost feel
the suction from the sharp intakes of salesman's breath....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know you guys are right, half of me completely agrees with you. The other half is screaming 'you only live once'.[:p]

I think it is a novelty thing though and as such will most likely be leaving it. I was only attracted to it by the standard spec, leather, sat nav and DSG. But I think it's a case of there are plenty more fish in the sea...

I forsee myself losing lots of money on that car, but despite that I am still very fond of it- just wish it was a hell of a lot less price-wise and didn't have the doors.

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
No offence but id PI$$ myself if someone pulled up to me and opened their doors like that - Marty McFly and a Delorean YES - Joe Bloggs and a Golf NO

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Leather/sat nav are the only options that might add to the value, the rest of the mods will be money down the drain and add no value. It'll be worth £24k to perhaps 1% of those interested in GTI's and completely avoided by the rest. I suggest you stay firmly in the 99% camp and let some other mug lose a ton of cash.

I getting to an age now (nearly 30!) where I'm starting to think slightly more sensibly (about time!) and those Lambo doors strike me as being a complete nightmare! Imagine finding somewhere to park firstly with a space either side so you can get out, then imagine the horror when you get back and there are two cars either side of you...with tickets not due to expire for a couple of hours!!

Imagine how cool you will look getting into your car via the boot! AVOID!!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In defence to the doors, imagine how you open your normal Golf doors and they kind of lock on at a first position and then you can open them fully..

With these, they go to about the first lock position (if you understand what I mean) and then go up. I don't think parking would be that much of an issue.

Nevertheless, i've just phoned my dealer asking for my deposit back as I think i'm going to go with my head on this one and look for a standard one with sat-nav and leather.

Cheers for the input guys, I needed some disuading opinions.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
24k yoikes [:|]

I've seen worse, but parts of that leave something to be desired!

Sad thing is someone will probably pay close on that for it!

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
You would lose 10k on that within a few months, to get it put right you would have to have the roof and bonnet resprayed and on red that would be difficult to match. For 2k less you could have a brand new Audi A3 2.0 T S Line limited edition.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts