Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know my car was written off recently because of some stupid bint, the amount the insurance company have offered me for my car means i am set to lose out on what to me at my age is quite abit of money.....So i just wondered if you guys would tell me what you think my car is worth, just out of curiosity....im not planning on getting back bang on what i paid for it but i think their offer is abit crap....

I have had the car about 2 months and have not even covered 500 miles in it...

Its a 1.4s T reg (99) black 3dr....it was in brilliant condition i washed it every week since buying it and the previous owner worked for turtlewax and also looked after it well...

It had done 41k (20k below average mileage for its age)

It had all the usual specs the 1.4s has

Electric windows
Electric mirrors
Electric Sunroof
Heated Mirrors
Remote central locking
Immobiliser
Alarm

Cant really think of much else to say about it, anyway heres some pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
824 Posts
According to Parkers it is :
Franchised Dealer ? 4000
Independent Dealer ? 3780
Private Good ? 3460
Private Poor ? 2700
Part Exchange ? 3015

Add on a couple of hundred for the lower mileage. Does that help?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at them mate but still they are ridiculosly low imo looking on autotrader you cant find many decent ones for that amount...

When looking for my golf i looked at several in the 3k-4k price range and they were total dogs...

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have looked at them mate but still they are ridiculosly low imo looking on autotrader you cant find many decent ones for that amount...

When looking for my golf i looked at several in the 3k-4k price range and they were total dogs...

Cheers [Y]
whay people ask for in autotrader isnt always what they get tho!

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the future you might be interested in a service which promises to top up what your insurance company gives you, in the event of a right off, to what you payed for the car. When I bought my car from Car Giant I was offered this for a few hundred quid. If you want more details of the service I can find out for you.
Sat

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cheers [Y]
whay people ask for in autotrader isnt always what they get tho!
Oh yeh i know that mate...its just when looking for my golf (Which was quite recent, so i cant see the prices dropping quickly) all the golfs in the 3k-4k price range where dented, scratched high milers....non would match the quality of mine....and looking at cars advertised now there at ones at the same price as mine was and higher with 60k, 70k on the clock...

Like i say im not expecting to get back exactly what i paid for it, but i just think its a bit of a joke really...

Perhaps its just the fact im really pee'd off because im gonna lose out because of some retarded woman who cannot drive and understand that red means stop lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi Mike,

If you don't mind me asking how much has the insurance company offered you?

Usally their 1st offer is pretty poor.

·
Registered
187 Posts
mine seems to be worth more than i though and the mlg on mine is 59000

Volkswagen Golf Hatchback
1.8 T GTi 5d 1999/V
Insurance Group 14 (get a quote)
Average mileage: 60,000 miles
Cost New ('99) ? 18195
Franchised Dealer ? 6295
Independent Dealer ? 5935
Private Good ? 5480
Private Poor ? 4315
Part Exchange ? 4820

·
Registered
196 Posts
A car I had got written off after owning it for just under a month...someone drive into the side of me. Once everything had been completed they started to offer me prices. Needless to say I wasn't impressed so I sent them the reciept for the car and then they offered me about ?100 - ?200 less than I actually paid which is quite good.

Worth a try tho if you've still got the receipt

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have offered me 4k which would put me at a loss of ?500, so i have turned that offer down and they have'nt come back with anything else....I am sending them a copy of the advert for the car when i bought it, along with an advert for a car the same as mine which is up for more than mine was and has higher milage and also sending them my reciept for the car....

According to parkers 4k probably seems about right but i cannot find a car the same as mine, in as good condition as mine for that price...if they were to knock ?100-?200 off the price i paid i would accept that but i think the 4k they are offering is abit of a joke considering i couldnt replace my car with one the same with that amount of money...

·
Registered
566 Posts
From the way you were talking, I thought the insurers were offering you half of what they have offered you! It's actually pretty good but your car seemed in well above average condition so I guess it warrants a bit more than that. However, as already been cited above, its only their first offer and you can bargain them upwards from there. Even if you got ?4250 in the end, I would say you have done pretty well.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the way you were talking, I thought the insurers were offering you half of what they have offered you! It's actually pretty good but your car seemed in well above average condition so I guess it warrants a bit more than that. However, as already been cited above, its only their first offer and you can bargain them upwards from there. Even if you got ?4250 in the end, I would say you have done pretty well.

~ Maxie
Yes mate i understand ?500 may not seem alot of money its just like i say im annoyed at the fact i will lose out because of someone elses mistake, if i had crashed the car myself fair enough....tbh i think if it wasnt your fault you should get back what you told the insurance company it was worth....

Also they wont seem to budge from 4k, but im not gonna give up....i will see how much more i can get out of them....i just wanted to see what people on here thought my car was worth

Cheers everyone for your input [Y]

·
Registered
207 Posts
For a T reg, the condition of that Golf was mint...keep pushing the insurance company for more, get what you can. Mabye a claim for whiplash too??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to come back on here and tell you guys how i got on with the insurance company...

i sent off a copy of the ad from when i bought the car with pics of how it looked, an ad for a Golf the same as mine which was up for more money than mine was and had higher mileage and i also sent off a copy of my receipt from when i bought the car...

A few days later i got a call, the bloke said that after seeing the pics he could see it was in good condition and looked after and due to that was prepared to give me my full money back.......RESULT !!!!! [:D]

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well done! Good persuasion! Glad to hear you got your money back and the insurance company didnt win!!!

So are you going to look for another golf??? [:D]

Andy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So are you going to look for another golf??? [:D]

Andy
Dunno yet fella.....I have been looking at getting an n/a 1.8 Golf GTi but its whether im going to be able to afford the insurance due to my age....

Just gonna see what comes up...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts