Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 12/04/2005 11:58:54

Can you tell me what you had done and the cost?

I had a full 4 wheel alignment, geometry.. basically everything checked and adjusted last june (I think it was) for ?70. Think that was half hours labour to unseize a tie rod (IIRC) on the back too. I used this particular place as EVERYONE recommended them locally.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Had mine done last friday, THIRTY TWO POUNDS inc vat [^]

She Was done at

Nottingham Alighnment services ltd

Unit 8

Church Street

Old Baseford

Nottingham

0115 942 0843

They do a lot of work for Merlin Porsche & the other fancy places around nottingham, plus theres a VW/AUDI Breakers on the same site[^]

Oh & I must thank ADH for letting me know about these guys [:)]

·
Registered
282 Posts
I paid ?27.50 for 2 wheel laser alignment, with print-out, at sunbury wheels and tyres.

I don't think you need 4 wheel alignment on a 2WD golf, the rears have little to no adjustment. After slamming my golf, the rears were still within spec.

You can probably get 2 wheel alignment cheaper than what I paid, but I had to go to a place with special equipment for lowered cars.....my car is too low to get aligned at a normal garage! [:D]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm......I just booked her into my VW dealer who quoted me ?105+vat.

Perhaps I ought to look elsewhere?

i wust thought - well, if there's anything needed under warranty and these guys have done the job, it's their bum to kick - not two different parties blaming one another.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 12/04/2005 14:28:45

Hmmmm......I just booked her into my VW dealer who quoted me ?105+vat.

Yea thats what Brum VW wanted from me, the guy at NAS said they have loads of local dealers bring their work to him, I was on & off the ramps within 30 mins.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good Jace - thanks for the heads-up.......i've just been on the phone to them - we were having a giggle about the dealer rip off........oh, and they sent you a BIG greasy kiss for recommending them! LOL!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 12/04/2005 14:45:19

oh, and they sent you a bit greasy kiss for recommending them! LOL!

OMG !!!, Just think "Deliverence"

You sure goda purdy mouth boy [B)]

·
Registered
639 Posts
about 3 weeks back i had Laser alignment done for ?22 all in.

it was 4 wheel alignment.

when i rang them they said it would be ?30 but when i got the bill it was only ?22. i didnt stop to ask why [;)] maybe it was because the worst wheel was only 5 out (whatever that means). also i dont think he had to do the back as was ok.

anyway that was national tyres - not that good but ok for tracking.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
?42 for all 4 wheels alignment. This was on one of the top machines with monitors showing you what was going on etc with each wheel. Was in Torbay though, so probably not much use to you!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Got mine done in Cirencester (fronts for 25ish quid) This garage has the full works, many new Evo FQs go there for PDI (Mitsubshi HQ nearby)and get the geos done. It's also the first time I saw two FQ-400 at the same time - amazing noise!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys - sounds like i should be looking at a decent alignment check really....as you guys suggest - it's not been in an accident so the rears should be reasonable...and anyways, i'm not so sure you can do any adjustment of any worth.

On examination of the front tyres (now being a couple of thou since doing the springs), I reckon the front wheels are toe-ing out a little.

The wear on the outer adge of the tread with a kind of 'feather' suggests this (IIRC).....so the track-rods need to be lengthened by tweaking them round a bit....

This is just a tracking job, but hopefully the laser check at my usual tyre place will highlight anything else.

Should cost me no more than 25 squids i reckon.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I payed ?20 for a 4 weehl laser alignment last week

then went to a another garage in Lpool that does full geometry checks, they are free for your printout and diagnosis, but charge by the time to re-align and bring it back to spec, but they check everything, front/rear camber/castor toe etc etc

even alot of the modern laser alignment only checks front/rear to in toe out and not caber/castor

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
FOXY,

yours sounds like the issue I had, mine were 7mm out tyres were like this \-/, which I think expains why my last set of F1's lasted such a short time.

Those guys at NAS know their stuff, they dont say a deal but hey, I wasnt there for the conversation [:)]

Jace

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got mine 'tracked' at my favourite tyre place.......cost me ?16+vat for a check and set.

They weren't so far out but they were toeing out a little and weren't set for straight ahead with respect to the steering wheel.

Too early to tell, but it felt fine on the drive home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts