Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on my three yearly refresher course today at the St John Ambulance, so I can renew my First Aid certificate. Just wondered how many of you are also registered First Aiders?

Got my 3 stage assessment tomorrow, got to do my homework tonight lol!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Luckily my wifes a nurse so there is no need and there are quite a few people at work who are already first aiders... Its definitely a good thing though and I recon First Aid should be taught at school.... shame they use those dummies for mouth to mouth now... [:D]

Dont you find St Johns Ambulance people a bit weird? They are scary ....... in an X-files stylee..

Anyway good luck with the exam.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I wanted to do the course, but as I'm "Management" I wouldnt get paid any extra,  so I said "TAKE MY NAME OFF THE LIST"

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have a HSE first aid at work certificate... However its a little different to what most people would have who sit in a office or workshop all day..

Its title is "first aid for remote environments"

Best bit is you have no fancy knots to learn and you can use things like old clothes to stop bleeding, etc, etc....

Very basic techniques to keep people alive for as long as possible if help is not readly available.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ive done First Aid as part of my NVQ in Light Vehicle Mechanics, got a certificate but not sure what its worth as it was only a couple of hours long. At work i am registerd as the first aider...my workmates are scared just incase they have an accident and i have to help them [:)]

Its strange, out of the other workers i am the only one that has touched on first aid... so i guess they have introduced it more recently

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Ive done First Aid as part of my NVQ in Light Vehicle Mechanics, got a certificate but not sure what its worth as it was only a couple of hours long. At work i am registerd as the first aider...my workmates are scared just incase they have an accident and i have to help them [:)]

Its strange, out of the other workers i am the only one that has touched on first aid... so i guess they have introduced it more recently
first aid in a garage LOL in my experience it usually consists of dirty rag, old piece of tissue and insulation tape... and anything more serious just dont own due to severe ridicule from colleauges...

Things Ive seen fitters do to themselves and act hard case its a male eneviroment (one even used an air line to dry a crown off and the superglue to put it back in) mechanics are the most unhealthy mental people I've ever met

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Haha Andy, things have moved on since then...presume you are talking from the past, unless you dealt with a kwik fit fitter recently?

If not then i guess i work in a classy garage as we are not very mental [:cool:]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
my uncle had a garage for years and my saturday and holiday job was there for years, wasnt a bad tyre and exhaust fitter at 15 .... but jeeeuss some of the guys I worked with were e mental ....

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mrs Beddie is a qualified first aider too Mark, she's just done her 3 year refresher course and some other first aidy thing i'm not too sure about lol!

One things for sure....NW meets should be pretty safe to attend in future! [:D]

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have my first aid at work and my defib qualification.

Need first aid so i can get insurance for my personal training

Tam

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to see so many of you are registered [Y]

We touched on remote location qualifications today, didn't realise that would extend to you Martyn!

Got my practical test tomorrow, should really do some revision now. Need to get DRABC etched into brain lol!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
my wife has here first aid, its something want to do but just dont have time, its one of those things I really need to do

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am a St.John Ambulance, Ambulance Attendent (not a paramedic). Most paramedics dont hold a FAW quallification, I know at one point the local ambulance station that I occasionaly run from hadnt actually got an apointed first aider ! How ironic [:S]

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Did my advanced life support training for work last month, hardest thing i have ever done! On the ressusitation team now tho [:D]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm now qualified for another three years! My mind went proper blank on the unconscious but breathing casualty test, for some reason I just froze and completely forgot to do my DRABC (I got as far as D !!)

It all came flooding back though and I was soon away.

Never had that happen before, I'm usually ok with tests and stuff [:cool:]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Registered.

Hope no one don't have an accident round me though, I only remember the blood squirting bit!

Qualified in Resus, Defibrillation, Spurting Blood, Burns, Broken Limbs and something else but can't remember what. I got a photo of me in my training with a bandage wrapped round my head, quite funny, I always got picked as the 'dummy'. Tsk!

Oh and the broken limbs is the bit that made me feel [+o(]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I just froze and completely forgot to do my DRABC (I got as far as D !!)

Never had that happen before, I'm usually ok with tests and stuff [:cool:]
welcome to my world.... never passed a test in my Life , only passed my
GCSE'S because my coursework was so good.. even failed my driving test 4
times

also a big reason for me avoiding coureses like this as I get unbelievably stressed with any type of testing.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Wonder if Clare (golfgirl) is a qualified first aider [:D]
Funnily enough I'm not!! When I joined the Ambulance Service I did First Aid at Work, but since doing my initial training have never had to renew it. I'd like to think I am suitably qualified to deal with an emergency of any description though[;)][8-|]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts