Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to get 42.4 mpg from my 35 miles to work the other day what have you managed? Its the 10V version in a Bora

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think we should all club together and buy this guy a TDI, as i'm getting tired of his moaning !

Seriously though, have you tried changing your air filter ? I read somewhere recently that even if it is slightly blocked, fuel consumption can be reduced quite a bit. Don't know if this is true or not, but it may be worth checking, as though the fuel consumption on my 1600 Trendline is only average, it is certainly much better than you say yours is. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I managed to get this last week on my way to work that is about 40 miles.. I was driving like a granny all the way and this is it on it's way down

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
i average 40 no probs, but getting more is a struggle

i'd have to do 60 to get 42

btw all chippin in to buy me a tdi would be nice.

start the donations

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Its was raural to start on twisty B - roads followed by urban A-roads only got stopped at a couple of sets of lights ( that helped alot ) and the average speed was around the 40 mph mark and it was around 06:30 in the morning

Jay

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
see my comute to work is a bit of driving about the streets to get the engine nice and warm then i head to the motorway and do a 6/7 miles stint on there before its off and onto some fairly straight forward driving roads, a few roundabouts but no traffic lights thou, total journey is about 16 miles

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
see my comute to work is a bit of driving about the streets to get the engine nice and warm then i head to the motorway and do a 6/7 miles stint on there before its off and onto some fairly straight forward driving roads, a few roundabouts but no traffic lights thou, total journey is about 16 miles
notice the engine care there as i could just get right on the motorway but its only a mile away so i drive about for a bit becasue i like to warm her up before motorway speeds!

should be more people like me

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
i am normally in the Early thirties after 3 and it is just increases slowley from there, Dont worry too much though its not all about the mpg .. It is just something i do every once in a while just to see how high i can push it ( i think of it as a legal competition [;)])

Jay

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
me 2, when i start the car its goes from 15 and shoots up to low 20's then slowly gets to ealyer 30's before i hit the motorway, when i accelerate on the sliiproad its goes back to 30 again then has to work its way up

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
today i got 40 on the way to work,

that was 60,65 if i go any slower i get drivers up my arse and i dont like pissing people off

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[:mad:] argh it take a huge effort to get that in mine 1.6!

did you drive at less than 60 all the way?
It was about 55 to 65 I worked out there is no point in trying go any faster I just tag on to a lorry and follow all the way only about 5 mins difference journey time as all 3 lanes of the M3 seems to do only 60 at most in the mornings [:mad:].

Its so relaxing doing this rather then try to get pass all the slow traffic as you can't in the mornings.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
only route forme is part motorway, coming home from work i get a couple of gallons less due to it being warmer i guess and more traffic etc

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've got a 1.8T, and previously owned a 99 V5 (150ps) but had to downgrade due to lack of funds. I could regularly get around 28mpg around town, and up once got 43 on the motorway going 70 all the way from Bradford to Lewisham in SE London in the V5.

In my 1.8T I average a horrendous 19mpg in town, with slightly spirited driving, 24 if driven softly and 16.6 if driven hard. I think my MAF is knackered, but at the same time I average 35 on the motorways.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts