Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted mine yesterday, pretty tight. Then when I operated the wiper to test it, the resting position was about 15 mm above where I had originally aligned it. Not having time to fix this, it's been bugging me all day today, so as soon as I finished work, I set out to remove the wiper (with some difficulty, eventually WD40 came to the rescue) and align it so it comes to rest perfectly level. Given that the arm is offset from the pivot, there's no way it will describe a perfect semi-circle during a wipe operation, so at least if it comes to rest in a tidy position then I'm happy. It took me another three attempts, and I think I had to mis-align the grooves scored by the splined shaft, in order to get the wiper arm aligned. I used my engine bay cleaning spray to keep the glass lubed while I observed the wiper action as well, which consists of a Meg's Quik Detailer spray bottle filled with VW screenwash mix [Y]

When I fitted my front AeroTwins, I took great care to align the driver side to the original wiper rest position, and also made sure the passenger side would come to rest without obscuring the VIN plate. The straight design of Aero wipers makes this trickier to get right, as they don't follow the curved lower contour of the windscreen like the old wipers, but now I'm happy.

My Polo wiper cap clears the glass by less than 1 mm at the closest point, but that looks bodged to me so I'm going to spend an afternoon filing it with progressively finer grades until it has a bit more clearance.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as your re. the polo rear wiper. I haven't managed to get it off again to change the 'true' reset position after use. Because of this, everytime I use the wiper and then get out of my car later, I move the wiper down a bit as I pass the rear of the car [:)], it completely bothers me..

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
In a world first for myself, I got it absolutely bang on 1st attempt :eek:D I fitted it in the rain and kept wiping it to make sure but it always stayed correct!

I got mine complete from Vag-Parts, but the cap didn't need filing to fit, it clears the glass by about 2-3mm and hasn't popped off to date, about a years use.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one Pat! Wish I'd known, I'd have got you to fit mine! [:D]

On the subject of Polo wipers, did anyone else find the wiper blade itself smells really sweet? [:|] I'm going to put some rubber dressing on the back as well because it looks a tad "dry" if you know what I mean. Give it that matt sheen.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I got mine from vag-parts as well.

NO PROBLEMS on the fitting, didn't have to sand down the cap at all.

And its been on for 10 months.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice one Pat! Wish I'd known, I'd have got you to fit mine! [:D]

On the subject of Polo wipers, did anyone else find the wiper blade itself smells really sweet?
what a strange thing to notice

·
Registered
165 Posts
And me[Y]. Although the cap keeps popping off every time I use the darn thing even though there is about 2/3mm clearance. Needs a bit more tinkering. As for sniffing wiper blades, thats just plain wrong[*-)]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took mine off when I arrived back from work, I've now masked it with an even gap all the way around the base and will file it to grind off the majority of the excess then finish off with some fine grade silicon carbide wet and dry.

Posted Image

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked a mate to sniff the blade. His verdict?

"Very peachy"

Thank you. See, I'm not imagining things. [:D]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I got it absolutely bang on 1st attempt :eek:D
I'm proud to also say so did i! [Y]
Ditto that !

Later replaced the blade with a touran blade though. Bit longer and wipes to the very top of the rear screen now too [Y]
Woo, worth noting! I'll get a Touran blade when I replace the polo wiper blade...actually going to fit my polo wiper today!!!

I did have trouble originally aligning the passenger side front aero wiper when I stuck it on, it'd always rest in a slightly different spot to where I wanted it but a bit of patience and I got it in the right spot!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I fitted mine yesterday didnt think it had seated properly so tightened the nut a lil more only to snap the thread can anyone HELP?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I got mine on the fourth attempt to where I wanted it!

Cap doesn't come off on mine, got it from Shaq as part of a group buy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts