Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just bought some new rims I think its only best that I lower the car now ,as shown in the picture below the back end is ridiculously high !

Posted Image

so Im after some advice on how low to drop it .I decided against coilovers as the ride is just too harsh and seeing as its my missus and baby that mostly use the car I dont wanna go down that route !Theres so many options out there but am opting for either the weitec kit or the vogtland kit which seems reasonably priced [y]so my question is how low is safe to go witha pd130 engine ,I dont wanna go stupidly low as its got to be practical for everyday use but just look better than it does now. Ideally I dont want any issues with rubbing arb's or driveshafts. I know some 1.8t's can be lowered easier but whats ideal for a tdi ? bearing in mind the sump is already low to the ground imo. Im thinking 30-40mm no way 50mm bit too low but is 40mm still that bit too much ?So any advice from any lowered diesel owners is most welcome [y] and pictures would also be great to get an idea of the look achieved.cheers

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Coilovers arent actually that bad, my mrs drives mine daily and we also have our 2 year ols son in there (hes travelled in it from day 1)

Ive got AP coilovers fitted and both me and my mrs were surprised how good the ride was on them considering how low it is dropped

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my last golf was lowered not sure what on though and the ride was pants especially on speed bumps ! i do like the idea of coilovers so you can adjust the height to suit [*-)] but only have a budget of around £300-350 so cant really afford top notch ones.

@richwig -that looks perfect [y] if i can ride looking like that without to much banging and scraping ill be happy

oh and my wheels are 18x8.5

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i suppose its gonna be coilovers then lol keep changing my mind ! was looking at jom plus kit but think its worth spending a little bit more and getting the AP kit instead ? decisions decisions [help] just dont want to make the wrong choice and the ride be crap and end up replacing 6months down the line.but as with everything you get what you pay for.

·
Fritzel Basement Development LTD
3,362 Posts
Nice wheels LMR reps? My stepdad has eBay coilovers on his passat estate nice and low and ride is great.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd say it depends what you want to do with the car, if you want to stand around looking at it then drop it till the sump hits the floor! If you want to drive it and enjoy it without worrying about going over a catseye in the road then a drop of about 40mm will do nicely. It also depends on where you live, if you're a city boy then you can get away with running a bit lower, but round here we've got potholes big enough to swallow a child!

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts