Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to drop it about 45-60mm... is this a good look on mark 4's with 17" alloys?

What kinda suspension kits would you recommend? Dont wanna spend more than ?200...

Thanks

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Here's my car dropped 30mm on 17's, double it and you'll be getting very close to the arches. (click for larger image)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
60MM is a massive amount and on only ?200 you'll be getting just springs so your standard shocks will be screwed quickly that low

·
Registered
628 Posts
ive got 18s and considering 45mm to be my max limit! You dont want 2 ruin ur nyce veedub!!

remember were not classed in the same league as the chavvvy saxos/306s/corsas. Were much better!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You will probably get into arb issues going that low, which will certainly add to the price

You can get Jamex coilovers fitted for ?400, this will let you decide how low you want it.

As was said earlier, current shocks won't last long and bump stops mmmmm

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
sorry to hijack, any idea how low yours is running on the jamex? Want to have it about 5-10mm higher at front n 5mm at back cause of stupid speed bumps round here, just want to give Jody a rough figure when he fits them.... 6th Jan [:D]

·
Registered
674 Posts
My cars got 17" rims and it's been lowered on springs which claimed to give 40/45mm drop. The springs took a lot of height out of the arches and is now about a loose two fingers between tyres and arches.

Would like to see it one finger but think it would be a nightmare with speed bumps and defo need to sort out a new ARB too.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
benjie yours looks a lot more lower than 30mm id say your verging on 40mm as your on coilovers you cant really say to be exact.. [y] my bros was lowered a lot and used to scrub alot incidentally. He had 17's 18's and 19's i think 18's were the best he found.. as it looked the best and handled the best when the car was that low.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
674 Posts
That looks sweet [Y] and is the ride height I would really like. Just thought that you may get a few problems with speed bumps and curbs that low. And there lots of people posting about OEM ARB's catching when lowered over 45mm.

Me thinks I will save up for some collies [:D]

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wilkie,

MattP is having them fitted at Midland on the 6th Jan, I am also there for a service and 312mm brakes, nip up if you want a closer look and a ride[:D]

·
Registered
674 Posts
Cheers for the offer. I may take you up on that. [Y]

MidlandVW rocks [Y][Y] was over there on Friday, they sorted out my blocked sunroof channel for free....Now thats great service

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Running mine on coilovers at about 1.25 fingers front and 1 finger rear without arb problems, on a Bora mind, if that makes any difference

Posted Image
Where did you get those VW centres for your centre caps? I need new ones for mine and can't find them anywhere!

benjie yours looks a lot more lower than 30mm id say your verging on 40mm as your on coilovers you cant really say to be exact..
Fair enough, I asked the bloke at the garage for 30mm, but I suppose there's not much difference between 30mm and 40mm. No major problems though, the odd 'bump' when I go over hump backed bridges a little to enthusiastically & when I go round bumpy corners.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Benjie, I had exactly the same problem as you, I searched high and low, even started to mod an audi one, but couldn't find a badge just the right size!

Was at midland vw have coilies put on and asked Jody, as luck would have it he had a set that had been on his bench for months (not new) in reasonable condition, so I had them.

I will have a look for any numbers or manufacturer on them in the morning, and let you know.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The wheels are oem TT 6spoke 17"s, evry VW one i found was too big or too small, I would imagine there is an audi link somewhere, they are probably off a replica of some audi wheel, in my opinion

The drop was necessary, believe me!

Posted Image

See what I mean LOL

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'v got 17s too and looking to drop my car ASAP....

Been doing a bit of research and found just for springs your looking at about ?100, Suspension Kit (shocks/springs) found them for ?150 on ebay aswell as Jamex Coil overs for ?300.

Im thinking of going for 40mm drop, 45mm MAYBE....

Switch....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts