Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, before anyone goes "repost", hear me out.

All the previous topics on this subject have never been really properly done like this. So i'd like to put a few, very few rules in place.

Usually people measure from arch to floor. thats normally fine to compare yourself against a friend. but to actually see (from what i understand) how low you are, you need to measure from the centre of wheel up to the arch.

I recently measured a few standard cars to see what they measured from centre of wheel to arch. they were all on level ground and had standard sized tyres (cant remember). They measured at 370mm from centre of wheel to arch. (if anyone else wnats to double confirm, that would be great)

Now all you have to do is measure your one in the same place and minus from 370mm. This will give you an indication of how low your car is over the standard set up.

for example: your car measures = 330mm centre of wheel to arch. standard car measures = 370mm. 370 - 330 = 40. Your car is lowered by 40mm

• MUST be YOUR car that you own now
  • To see how low you are, measurements must be taken in MM's from CENTRE OF WHEEL UPTO ARCH. (not arch to floor)
  • Pictures MUST be included with proof (especially when making a big claim- dont try it patch! ;P )
  • Car must be on level ground when measurement taken
  • Both Air & Static can apply, but for those with air, it'll be best to get an idea of how low it dumps as ride height can always change and will be unfair
  • And please. if you dont want to take part in this, please hit the back button. This is not a discussions thread about why's and why not's

Should be all good fair fun if everyone sticks to the above

if theres anything ive missed out, or mistaken, please i do apologise in advance and will make amends

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i work in inch :)
every last millimetre counts [;)]

depends on spec of car, are V5's and 150's 10mm lower than others?
thats fine, you just compare it to the real bog standard 1.4/1.6 which is 370mm.

not too sure about the above mentioned, but the annis and r32s are defo lowered as standard

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Posted Image

measurements : front 21.3" (541mm) but this is from floor to arch, so by crude maths 541mm /2 = 270mm roughly 100mm lowerd

rears sit on tyre at 22.5" (571mm) so 285mm at the rear.

but like i say this is crude

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
yep there are lots of factors, i always thought floor to arch was better, different tyres, different wheels, will mean different lows, some one on 19's wont go as low as some one on 16's

·
Registered
479 Posts
I checked mine recently and it's 340mm from hub centre to the arch so it's lowered by 30mm, interesting as it's on Weitec -40mm springs.

·
Registered
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This thread has major flaws.......................
dude elaborate lol
My car must be lower than 50mm right?
lol... dont tell me....you're not telling me.... please dont say that you're...! [:p]

like i said, if im wrong in the way we measure how low we are overa standard mk4, then tell me how its done [A]

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

measurements : front 21.3" (541mm) but this is from floor to arch, so by crude maths 541mm /2 = 270mm roughly 100mm lowerd

rears sit on tyre at 22.5" (571mm) so 285mm at the rear.

but like i say this is crude
hummunnah hummunnah hubba hubba pany pant [In-love]

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
This thread has major flaws.......................
dude elaborate lol
My car must be lower than 50mm right?
lol... dont tell me....you're not telling me.... please dont say that you're...!

like i said, if im wrong in the way we measure how low we are overa standard mk4, then tell me how its done
Now i think about it,i did raise the front 20mm up to make life easier,major rr[cop]

50mm is probably right at the minute,not that it matters anymore.The XL's go lower than the floor without Krispy mods[:p]

Coilies suck balls.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts