Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how low to the floor peoples cars are of here as my boras daily driving front bumper is only 3 inches [:S] off the floor so it just makes it over bumps but it struggles to get on the drive and wondering if anyone else is as mad as me as i do clock a fair amount of miles in it and when i drove around anglesey at week end most of the time i was doing thirty or less down the country lanes as my bumper kept scuffing unless they were recently tarmac'd which ruined my weekend a bit as i was looking forward to opening the valves up

heres a pic of mine normal bumper

Posted Image

and my other show bumper which is only 4-5 inches from the floor

Posted Image

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yours is silly low tabs looked great from the front and especially from the rear!

yours can't be far off 2-3 inches off the floor all round never mind just the front!

what wheels you running now?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
gHEEESH! i couldnt live with it that low. My sump hits the floor before my valance, mines only lowered 35mm and ive scraped the sump twice with just normal everyday driving, id hate to imagine how far your sump is from the ground!...You are brave...both of you.

I must comment on how good looking your cars are too. *Drools*

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Heres a pic of my bros car when he had it lowered 1st.. was lowered a lot from the front..

Posted Image

Posted Image

wasnt really drivable.. so had it heightened up around 7-8mm made a huge difference to the drive..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got about a 35mm drop.

What technique do you guys use to get over speed bumps? I find my self having to shift into 1st, try left wheel, right wheel, car jerks (Rocks you in your seat!)..... take the centre sometimes, but can scrape underneath....

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Got about a 35mm drop.

What technique do you guys use to get over speed bumps? I find my self having to shift into 1st, try left wheel, right wheel, car jerks (Rocks you in your seat!)..... take the centre sometimes, but can scrape underneath....
SNAP! i have a 40mm drop and struggle sometimes to get over bumps! [:S] i do that left/right wheel malarky, and is ok like that, but i rarely take the car through the centre, especially if there is load in the car! dont know how people still have a sump with cars that are really low! [:S] im assuming people use them sump guard thingys, either that or live in an area with no bumps! wis i could go lower! [:(]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
i dunno how low i am, but im low-ish, but still ok for daily use. i suggest diesel mk4's are not slung too low due to the sump being VERY low hung. ive heard many a story a ppl being lowered and cracking their sumps open. eeeek!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am also 40mm lower and I didn't face any problem up to now...

Only when I tryied to park my car to my girlfriend's underground garage... Huge problem... I tryied and forward and reverse, but the bumper was so low and couldn't go through... At last I made it with some stones & shooks [:)]

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
hmmmm, thats strange. Am i right in saying that a car would be lower if it has 17's rather than 18's with a 40mm drop? Or would it all even out because of the profile? [:^)]

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've dropped mine about 20mm, speed bumps are a pain, and living on a farm makes the driveway entertaining!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think the car can not go low due to the rims, but due to lower springs (except if you replace only the tyres with lower profile in the same rim).

For example:

I replace my stock rims 205/55/R16 with the 225/40/R18. That means the diameter of the wheel is about the same. I have now a +0,795% bigger diameter, if you translate this to mm is 3mm (but in the diameter) divide by 2 to find the radius, I am a 1,5mm higher than 40mm that means 38,5mm. But in practise you can not even see the difference!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no it shouldn't make a difference what size wheel your running but when i had my 19" wheels on i could get into a mates house but when i put my 18" wheels on it caught on a gate stump so maybe it does make a little difference!?!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
The rolling radius was probably affected, were you running the correct profile?

Those 17's I was running had a 40 profile, which made them about 7% lower over a 45 profile tyre, thats why my car looked so low. Now its on 16" steelies its looking a bit higher [:D]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I'm on FK Coilovers too, a drop of about 30mm. I won't go lower though as I regularly scrape on the ground - no marks at all on the sump, I have what remains of my engine under-tray hanging down so every time I hear a scrape I know that's them warning me to cool it down lest I loose my sump!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts