Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From time to time I've had the window open and really let rip and the exhaust gives off a really nasty but lovely rasp...

A mate was behind me in his car tonight and I pulled off quickly enough and he said how loud it was when I pulled away.

Apart from the nice humm you hear in the car itself, is the exhaust loud enough when you're outside? Has anyone driven behind a GTI?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Not personally, but as there's 2 of us rattling up to Manchester on Saturday, I'll try and get some opinions for you - South Convoy boys - listen to cmdrfire/me as we roar past?? [;)]

I've heard myself with the window open goin through some of the bridges round by work, and it does sound much louder than in the car though! [:D]

C

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Mk5 GTI definately has a sporty sounding std exhaust, there is a nice rasp to it between 5-6K revs [H]

I know that a few guys on TSN have upgraded to Millteks because they couldn't really hear the std exhaust inside the cabin and wanted

to feel more "involved" with their driving experience [6]

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My ex on occassions used to drop me off at the pub in the GTI and I was always surprised at the sound of the exhaust when she pulled away, especially one day when she was winding me up about driving the car and gave it some beans as she took off, it did sound nice! You certainly don't get the impression the exhaust is noisey on the cabin.

There's a short fly-over in my town on which I had a little play against a Caterham, and we both floored it across the fly over. The next day was telling me mate about it and by chance he'd actually seen me! He said the noise was awesome, I said that was probably the Caterham, and he said, no, yours was awesome!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah have to agree I love the sound it makes[:D] This will probably be the first Golf I've had where I dont go for a Miltek for 2 reasons:-

1. That Standard sountrack[;)]

2. Don't want anymore Power[:O]

The only thing I see as a negative is the actual material the tips are made from, always seem to be discoloured on every GTi I've seen - would preferred some good quality chrome ones like on the jet style miltek[:(]

·
Registered
471 Posts
Not personally, but as there's 2 of us rattling up
to Manchester on Saturday, I'll try and get some opinions for you -
South Convoy boys - listen to cmdrfire/me as we roar past?? [;)]

I've heard myself with the window open goin through some of the
bridges round by work, and it does sound much louder than in the car
though! [:D]

C
Yeah, I'll be looking forward to that [:D] CkB, make sure you pass me a
few times as a) I want to see the Detroits spinning and b) I want to
hear what the exhaust sounds like! [;)] My friends have told me mine is
pretty loud though if I open up and they're nearby. C, is your car a
DSG or a manual? Because with the DSG at least you get an absolutely
lovely "BOOM" as you change gears at high revs... definitely a head
turner!

Spin, the GTI exhaust tips are chrome plated (at least mine are!) -
they get a bit discoloured after a couple hundred miles, only normal
though. I polish 'em using some Autoglym Super Resin and they look
smart again.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only thing I see as a negative is the actual material the tips are made from, always seem to be discoloured on every GTi I've seen - would preferred some good quality chrome ones like on the jet style miltek[:(]
I use the megs nxt metal polish on mine, comes up like new, in minutes and minimal effort (shop was out of AG metal polish), tried the polish on a well tarnished few years old Mazda and that came up like new so wasn't a fluke.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Yeah, I'll be looking forward to that [:D] CkB, make sure you pass me a
few times as a) I want to see the Detroits spinning and b) I want to
hear what the exhaust sounds like! [;)] My friends have told me mine is
pretty loud though if I open up and they're nearby. C, is your car a
DSG or a manual? Because with the DSG at least you get an absolutely
lovely "BOOM" as you change gears at high revs... definitely a head
turner!

Spin, the GTI exhaust tips are chrome plated (at least mine are!) -
they get a bit discoloured after a couple hundred miles, only normal
though. I polish 'em using some Autoglym Super Resin and they look
smart again.
Hey dude - mine's a manual, DSG really isn't my cuppa tea personally... We'll have to compare booms and see what diff that makes... If the run's anything like London ==> Brighton was, we'll be permanently cycling (man at the back to the front and so on) so should be plenty of fun - means Dan gets good footage of everyone bar Kev.

Must clean my tips today, keep forgetting to do them when I wash the car, and they're starting to become "in need" ! Ta for mentioning products though guys [:)]

C

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ta for the tips on products, got some of Meguiers today to clean my the pipes and works a treat. Took some pics only the camara phone though.

I am sure manuals boom as well. I thought mine did yesterday when I tried. I came out McDonalds last night and had to put my foot down to get out and when I change it souned like a boom to me. I was well impressed another thing to add to the list of things that are great with the Gti.

Anway here are pics one pipe cleaned for a before and after shot

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ta for the tips on products, got some of Meguiers today to clean my the pipes and works a treat. Took some pics only the camara phone though.

I am sure manuals boom as well. I thought mine did yesterday when I tried. I came out McDonalds last night and had to put my foot down to get out and when I change it souned like a boom to me. I was well impressed another thing to add to the list of things that are great with the Gti.

Anway here are pics one pipe cleaned for a before and after shot
Glad the megs worked for you too, not bad phone camera phone pics either , ps you can clean the inner ports as well heh heh

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You did a good job polishing your pipe alright..

For me, when you absolutely rag it in 1st and 2nd the noise off it is lovely...

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Having gone up to Awesome's RR day and back yesterday, alongside Neo (cmdrfire) who has a DSG GTI, I think we came to the conclusion that, for us anyway, it was plenty loud enough.

You can hear it nicely when you boot past someone, it made a fantastic noise when it was on the RR rollers. Certainly a lot louder out than inside the cabin, where VW seem to have done well at keeping the noise out!! With all the discussions going on about Millteks and cabin noises, I'd personally leave off (assuming it was on my list in the first place, which it certainly isn't atm)

Final 2p

C

·
Registered
554 Posts
Thanks for the cleaning tips will give the Autoglym a go first as i already have some of that. Agree with you about the noise they make - sounded fantastic on the rollers, still love my car, this is a good sign for me after 5 months !!

Off to play with me pipes ......[;)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I'm still gutted I missed yours on the rollers (and despite taking a pic of your photo after my run, didn't twig at the tim euntil you left)... Really sorry about that mate, must catch you next time!!

Other than rate of change, I take it the map on it's tod wouldn't make any difference to the question here?? [;)]

C

·
Registered
199 Posts
that link don't work . as for milltek's i guess it depends on what you get . i have a full system (down pipe cat and system) resonated and i would say it is quiter the the std one .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts