Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of trading in my PD 130 for a Mk V Gti. The spec I am
thinking of is a 3 door 6 speed manual, with Xenon's and power folding
mirrors in Reflex Silver. What would the likely lead time be?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i ordered my gti on the 12th of jan 2005 and i picked it up on the 12th of may 2005!!

the dealer told me that if i wanted to trade up for a 2006 model i should order the car in september

·
Registered
670 Posts
Why dont you ring a dealer and ask them!

The norm is about 16 weeks (when I checked for one). Dealers will say "There are none in the country" but there are. Depends what you are willing to sacrifice spec wise and you might get something decent. I was offered black DSG no armrest (vital IMO as I have it on my FSI), and I found a fully loaded red manual.

If you really want one and are not just fishing, ring as many dealers all over the country and chances are you'll get one. A mate of a mate just bought a silver johnny no spec one and picks it up Friday!

·
Registered
132 Posts
As Flex says it depends if you are flexible on the spec. You could find a cancelled order by ringing around otherwise if you wait for it to come from the factory it could take anything up to 4 months, assuming you can find a dealer that still has allocation for this year.

Oh and unless you really feel like you need them, I wouldn't bother with the folding mirrors - I have them on mine and they hardly fold in at all.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As has been said already,

If you want factory fitted extras expect to wait at least 12 weeks,

You will also find different dealers quoting different times, so ring about for best price/time.

It was 16 week for a factory order when i asked the other week but it all depends on spec, colour no doors etc and if theres one in stock somewere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i ordered my gti on the 12th of jan 2005 and i picked it up on the 12th of may 2005!!

the dealer told me that if i wanted to trade up for a 2006 model i should order the car in september
Whats the difference with a 2006 model then ?

I've been toying with ordering one, would go for standard 3 door with 18" & arm rest but nothing else as I think (IMO) no Golf is worth more than ?20,600 - dealers have quoted anything from 5 months to 3 months dependant on who I spoke to, if I go ahead I would be happy to wait for the 2006 model if significant differences..

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think that all Golfs being delivered now are 2006 models.  From what people have said here and in the Tyresmoke forums the only difference is a beesting aerial, slighlty more silver on the radio knobs and possibly a 'slightly' darker dash.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The only time the folding mirrors are of any use is if you garage door is 1 inch smaller than you car.  Folding mirrors for me are always rubbish as they never fold in enough because they are so fat.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ive got folding mirrors and they are a god send.

It saves opening the window and pulling the mirror in everytime i park it in the garage.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right I have spoken to my local dealer and I am going for a test drive
on Saturday. He said that all Gti's would be a factory order and would
be 4 months. Is that upto, 4 months or at least 4 months.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine was built in Wolfsburg (if the VIN decoders on the web are correct).

Oh, and I agree - for those thinking of the folding mirrors, save your
money - you really do only gain about an inch either side when they are
folded. I was hoping mine would automatically fold when the
ignition turned off but alas this was not this case. However, if
LED surrounding area lighting and auto dimming rocks your boat then go
for it :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh I forgot about the surrounding area lighting on the mirrors, for some reason I had it in my mind that these were standard on the GTI but a quick look on the options shows it's not. If you like cool stuff like that then maybe they are worth it, they do look good.

The folding mirror thing is still pointless though, compared to my girlfriends Honda on which they fold almost flush with the side of the car.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Unless you have to as Wish has explained, have to park in a garage. It saves the hassle of taking off your belf, stretching across and pulling the passenger mirror in to park the car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless you have to as Wish has explained, have to
park in a garage. It saves the hassle of taking off your belf,
stretching across and pulling the passenger mirror in to park the
car.
I am one of the few that garages mine and I don't have the electric
folding option as I only want to fold the passenger mirror in and guide
the car in with the unfolded drivers mirror tight against the door
frame.

Why don't they build modern garages 3" wider?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think they're pretty good value for money, especially as it's also the only way to get the automatically dimming feature as well.

Ok so they only go in an inch or two, but as we know chaps and chapesses, that can be critical [:p]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Carlos - find someone with an old 30 year house, and someone with a new one - you'll find the new one are way smaller I expect ;)

thomas - yes, something is better than nothing, but I too was REALLY disappointed - you could manually fold in the Mk4 mirrors further than you can on the Mk5! And when some nasty person smashed one of my old Mk4 ones - it's wasted cost! (Although it was my fault for not folding it in ;)

Back to the point - when I got mine 2 weeks ago, I was told if I'd ordered my own I was looking at 5 months! HTH.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts