Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

How long is a piece of string? (Induction kit question)

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  luke16 
#1 ·
OK, I have heard one too many turbo'd cars with an induction kit and fancy one for myself.

I have an AUQ 1.8T and am looking for something that will give me the noise but no loss of power over a panel filter and something that is not going to cause the car problems, suffer from heat soak and something that can be fitted and removed easily if required and something which could have an extension over to where the cold air comes in to the engine bay. Also, it needs to be simple to clean and have good filtration before and after cleaning.

I have read all the induction kit threads in the past and know the BMC may be the preferred for some, Dynatwist for others etc etc. I currently have a K&N Panel filter and know from when the car was mapped that Star said that there would nothing in it power wise between the panel filter and a BMC.

Also, where is the best place to buy from price wise?

#3 ·
If you want loadsa sound simple as get a carbonio.. or if you want the sound but less of an impact compared to the carbonio get a pipercross viper CAI filter.. my Viper filter was loads quiter than sonnys carbonio/evoteknic (sp) on his car.. but gave the same noise but just not as loud... but mine cost £250 [:eek:] unlike the £150 for the carbonio's..

Sat [y]

#5 ·
I have a Jabba Sport Invo induction kit with heat shield, it wasn`t cheap but well worth the money.

K&N are a well known manufacturer and a lot of people use their induction kits, think they are around £100.

I
cannot comment on all the rest that are available but don`t bother with
the cheap ones that are on ebay, or the copies that halfrauds sell,
they`re all a waste of money and will not add any extra BHP.

#10 ·
Yeah, I have already done it and have a K&N panel filter , but there is no increase in noise. I know it is maybe sad, but I want the whooshy noises! Lol [:D]
If u want noise....

Bit controversial (sp!), but u can drill some large round holes into the bottom of the airfilter box. (i've done this on mine, and have run the car for 25k miles or more without any problems whatsoever!)

Get one of those massive drill bit
ie. wood cutting drill bits (I think i used approx 3cm diameter) to cut some holes into the lower airbox. Start off with a few holes, take the car out for spin. see if it's loud enough!

If not, just add more holes!!!!

If you are dubious about this, then maybe get yourself an old airbox from a scrappy first and drill that one. (all mk4's use the same airbox, as well as lots of other VAG cars - ie TT etc!, so getting a lower airbox will be pish!)

There are some concerns about heat soak and stuff like that, but in my very honest experience, I have not seen any issues with mine, it's been in there for atleast 18months and 25-30k miles, and never ever had a problem

#11 ·
Yeah, I have already done it and have a K&N panel filter , but there is no increase in noise. I know it is maybe sad, but I want the whooshy noises! Lol [:D]
If u want noise....

Bit controversial (sp!), but u can drill some large round holes into the bottom of the airfilter box. (i've done this on mine, and have run the car for 25k miles or more without any problems whatsoever!)

Get one of those massive drill bit
ie. wood cutting drill bits (I think i used approx 3cm diameter) to cut some holes into the lower airbox. Start off with a few holes, take the car out for spin. see if it's loud enough!

If not, just add more holes!!!!

If you are dubious about this, then maybe get yourself an old airbox from a scrappy first and drill that one. (all mk4's use the same airbox, as well as lots of other VAG cars - ie TT etc!, so getting a lower airbox will be pish!)

There are some concerns about heat soak and stuff like that, but in my very honest experience, I have not seen any issues with mine, it's been in there for atleast 18months and 25-30k miles, and never ever had a problem
I have heard of this done, especially in the past with the 1.8 and 2.0 litre injection 8 valve Vauxhall engines in the Astra and Cavalier SRi/GTE's! I guess if I could get a box to try it with, it is worth a go!

#12 ·
Do a searh for the smooth airbox mod - GaryM and Sem both did it and MAF logs prove a good performance increase. All thats required is some cold air ducting and a performance panel filter (most opt for the Green Cotton Filter).
if you do this mod, dont just force the ducting in to the box like most do, this dosnt really free up that much more flow at all. instead cut the box with a dremeal and then use foam tape to seal it off. you wil get a little louder wosh shound, but if you want that sound then just buy a cheap cai

#14 ·
hmmmmm, as a newbie to vw's - im unsure to answer.....but having spent many years tuning turbo cars - using a rolling road - the best response i had with a vag engine was in a fiat 20v coupe - k and n won the battle there !!!

the truth is, you wont be making HUGE gains from ANY filter.....and the woosh noise can be obtained using the holes in the box method.....and you might even get to hear more wastegate flutter !!!! YES

is it running std boost pressure ?/?

#19 ·
How loud is the Carboni? I have a 4Motion with Miltek cat back and plans of ECU upgrade in near future. I recently changed the center pipe of the Miltek to a resonating pipe as I found the drone whilst on the motorway too much, so would I like the sound of the Carboni or should I look at somethiong else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.