Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my GTI order in the first week of December 2005. Originally, they told me I'd take delivery by March 2006. Now I call them to see what's going on and they tell me it will be "sometime in May".  It has not even gone into build yet. I'd be interested to know how long others have had to wait. For reasons I'll not bore you with, I must have the car by the last week in April. Hence, I'll be cancelling if they don't sort it out. Vindis at St Ives, Cambridgeshire is the dealer. Impressed, I am not.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was warned of this when I looked into ordering a new Golf,some dealers were more honest/realistic than others and told me of shorter than normal build dates being quoted to get the order.

One reason why I was happy to compromise spec slightly for a car already in stock.

I feel for you Matey,it's no fun being Dicked around.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
My dealer, Des Winks of Scarborough, told me they had been allocated only 6 GTi's and 3 R32's for the whole of 2006. Needless to say, they are all sold. VW are intentionally keeping them in short supply. Whether this is a stratagy to enhance residuals, or just to hype the image of these cars, I don't know, but I can't help feeling that it's miss-guided. They should get sales where they can, when they can. There are a lot of very attractive high performance cars out there, and people will not wait forever for the privilige of owning a VW.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
exactly, to be honest as much as I'd like a GTI I think I'd have to get a Focus ST. Cheaper by a huge margin and zero wait. Fair enough its not quite up there on a few things but I think they're out weighed by the advantages.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
exactly, to be honest as much as I'd like a GTI I think I'd have to get a Focus ST. Cheaper by a huge margin and zero wait. Fair enough its not quite up there on a few things but I think they're out weighed by the advantages.
How about doing what I did and email a dozen or so Dealers to see if any had stock?

Don't get a Focus Mate,every Chav and his brother will have one soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine was ordered on 28/1/05 and arrived 14/5/05, so about 14 weeks.  Agree about the chav comment. Better off with a second hand Focus RS i reckon than an ST?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a message of the sales manager there and it stank. Basically they blame VW and want to accept no responsibility for what appears to be an error  by one of their junior sales staff. I forgot how useless VW dealers are, the last Golf I bought from new (a v6 4Mot back in 2000) was a nightmare... turned-up six weeks later than promised and was missing options I'd paid for. Wish I'd waited now for the S3 to come out. Oh well... looks like I'm in for a long wait to get my GTI.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have to say that there is a simple correlation between how 'easy' it is to get a particular brand of car, and how good that car is. For example, if you want a Ford/Vauxhall/Citroen/Renault/Peugeot, then the answer to the "when can I have it" question will be something along the lines of "when can you pay us".

Just for fun, go into a Porsche dealer, say you have 35K in cash and would like to buy a new Boxster. The salesman will smile and offer to put you into the 6month + wait list. Mind you, it will be worth the wait when the car finally arrives!

So, no, I don't object to the wait time on GTi's - it just kinda confirms my view that they are rather good cars!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
As an owner of a GTI I'm glad it's taking ages to get one!

And as an owner of a GTI I throughly sympathise with anyone waiting for one!

Sure consider the ST/VXR etc but if your first port of call was the GTI for whatever reason, you'll be hankering after one whenever you see one I'm sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ordered mine in mid-December(Agnews in Belfast) and was initially told it would be here mid to end of March. Very happy when I got a call 2 weeks ago saying it had arrived!!http://www.uk-mkivs.net/emoticons/emotion-2.gif
Got it last week, and so far, great, and certainly worth the wait
I think the problem seems to be with the dealer quotas, as I contacted a fair few dealers, and was given times between 12 weeks and 9 months(!).
Hopefully yours will get into build soon...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ordered mine 31 Dec 05 & luckily beat the Jan 1 price rise. The bad news is that its not getting built until 1st week of April, the wait is really frustrating. Have since test driven the ST and have to say I'm glad I went for GTI, despite the wait. The Ford feels a tad cheap by comparison & its got a serious drink problem if you've a heavy right foot! Still rumour has it you can pick one up for under ?16k and with no wait if you don't go for orange.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We ordered ours 4 weeks ago this Sunday, and were originally expecting delivery around mid to end of May. Had a call this week to say that build week is wk 11, so should hopefully take delivery mid-April. 4-5 weeks earlier than expected and that is for DSG.

Just hope there aren't any calls to say 'sorry, did we say week 11...'.

I have to be honest and say my OH isn't too pleased about the earlier than expected arrival, as we'd thought we'd time delivery for when her current car goes, but there is no way I'll even consider asking the dealer to hold it for us. Too many thoughts of 'mucky paws' all over our car whilst sat on their forecourt.

Nathan, do you mind if I ask if there has been any reason given to you why you have to wait until April?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No reason given KG-Man, I was told it would be one of 4 GTI's the dealer was allowed to place in January. So not sure if you've been really lucky to get yours so quick or I've been strung a line.

Mine is also build week 11 - I've been told I should get it 2-3 weeks later. Like you, I will be collecting it asap from the dealer!

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
5 days. It was somebody elses that was pissing the dealer off, and slightly higher spec'd than I wanted but do-able - so I 'ad it innit [;)] [:D]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone new to the site - it really rocks. First post and sorry for the winge but ..........

In Aus we have a 11 to 12 month wait! I ordered mine in Jan and told May - June delivery. Then told June July. Finally got order number and got onto VW Aus found out "probably" around August/September!!!!

Christ they can't even narrow it down to a month!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I ordered 2nd week of December 05.

The car should have been built this week (week 8)

Expecting it to be delivered to dealer at end of next month.

But I said I was happy for it to arrive in April.

They even gave me a fixed part ex value on my current car when i ordered despite it'll be 3 months down the line before the deal gets completed!

Pretty happy with my dealer so far but it was recommended by a good friend who knows quite a few of the big wigs at VW UK.

I stayed away from my local one (5 mins away) as a result.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I got soooooo lucky with mine!!!! [:D]

Went in to Warrington VW last saturday for the test drive and was hooked and sat down to factory order one in Tornado with 18's....

5 minutes later the sales manager said he'd found a 3 door with 18's and changer/armrest, brand new unregistered and zero miles sat in a compound at his other site, so i snapped it up! [:D]

Got her for ?20,500 with the options and picked it up yesterday WooHoo!!!!!

So, 6 days wait for my GTI....

1 - 20 of 133 Posts