Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How impostant is it to have the undertry on your golf?

Mine is broke and keeps falling down and nothing seems to keep it in place

can i remove it all together and do with out one?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
How impostant is it to have the undertry on your golf?

Mine is broke and keeps falling down and nothing seems to keep it in place

can i remove it all together and do with out one?
Yep you can, i haven't had one for ages. Its for the acoustics of the cabin aswell though so it may be a bit noisier without it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I can't see why it would be a problem to not have on, other than that your sump then has no protection.
It only protects to a certain extent, as its plastic, so its gonna be a noise thing really, and the engine bay might get dirty quicker. I know the undertray and side pieces are expensive for what they are.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The plastic tray offers no protection for the sump at all. You need to get a metal one if you're after protection.

Loads of people are driving around without the plastic ones because they've fallen off so I don't think it does any harm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Got a mate who`s experiencing probs with his a/c compressor, the garage he took it to swears it`s due to the lack of undertray, maybe cus of dirt ingress or water etc etc. His pd150 sits so low that he`s bashed it off. I`ve seen his engine bay (without tray) and it`s absolutley filthy, way dirtier than mine (with tray).

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Not having an undertray caused my alternator belt to make a whining
noise in the rain and messed up my belt tensioner after a while. I am
not getting the complete undertray but I would advise that you kept on
the side bits and the shorter parts of the undertray!

Oh and you should have seen the amount of mud/stones etc that was in and around the engine bay area[:O]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I had my undertray taken off 15months ago and I was going to post 'all
seems fine', however, after reading this I'm not so sure! I get a
wining noise when pulling away when the engine's cold (not when I just
lift up the clutch, when it's between 1/3 & 2/3 lifted). Is
this to do with the alternator belt or something else? I'm sure
I'm getting vibrations through the clutch pedal too. Any
ideas? Is it due to a lack of undertray?

·
Registered
93 Posts
come on guys, you dont think VW would have given you and undertray for no reason except for under car decoration do you, they must cost them money and a new car buyer doe not exactly go underneath to see if it has one do they?

its there for a good reason and i'm sure in the long run it will be apparent.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
its starting to get me worried now, as I have no under tray.

It was hanging of halfway and I thought nothing of it and 1 day it just flew off (luckly there was no cars behind me that day).

I also get a wining noise when pulling away when the engine's cold.

Thinking about putting one back on.. any rough ideas on price?

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I lost mine 12 months ago. ^ months after that, after a high speed airport run (!) I noticed the side piece on the drivers side and come all loose and was wearing itself away against the road. Not beieng attached to the main part caused wind to get inthere and rip it off its mounting. So I cut off the respective mountings and just left whatever was left intact in there!

So if you lose the bottom part, expect to lose the side part at a later date!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I bought my car in 1999 and the tray got ripped off a few months after that,

If the undertray is so important then why didn't vw mention this to me when the car was in for servicing every year since then?

Obviously they were not concerned about it and neither am i.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The inevitable has happened to my Bora - the under tray has snapped and dragging along the floor from time to time [:(]

I believe that it is there for a reason and want to replace instead of going commando [:D]

I was thinking of getting a metal one - anyone know where I can source one?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts