1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote from this topic running on Vortex at the moment

My car sees 100MPH daily, and 7K RPMs ALOT

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1773137

I've never taken mine to the red line but it often sees maximum boost for very short periods. If I'm pressing on, I change up at around 5-5.5k but that's it. Think I've taken it to 6k once maybe. Am I keeping mine wrapped in cotton wool? What do the rest of you do?

·
Expression Intentionally Blank
1,132 Posts
You should find maximum boost is reached at about 2-3krpm and the waste gate opens round about 5-6krpm so as you say maximum boost is reached nearly everytime you drive above granny mode! [;)]

My mk2s are bubblewrapped nearly all the time (rarity factor) but my R sees regular abuse (read: used properly) everytime I drive it otherwise what's the point!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
5.5k daily..... only above that if really really necessary as the power tails off after that anyway (not massively, but when out on a blast shifting at 5.5k is better for progress). Used to redline the GTI daily.. but it needed it, as it was pretty flat in the mid-range. The 180 is a different kettle of fish and is quite pokey from 3k upwards so doesnt need such a thrashing.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by Royster on 14/01/2005 19:08:50

but my R sees regular abuse (read: used properly) everytime I drive it otherwise what's the point!

With a VR I find you can try to drive it gently, but it just never works out. You always end up driving it hard because its such a fantastic noise / feeling. I drive it gently when I have passengers etc, but on my own and in the right conditions, she gets driven hard.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by zekegti on 14/01/2005 19:16:42

Alot harder since i went above 200bhp. Its just so addictive

That's funny but quite true. The more you get, the more you want. Since fixing my DV hose a couple of days ago, I relish every time I have to go out in the car and I'm really enjoying the extra responsiveness and performance.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
EVERY DAY SHE SEE'S 100MPH, or 3k revs, both are the same [:D]

I had a race with a mk3 VR6 on tuesday night & we hit 130mph on the A511, it was no standard VR6 is all i'll say.[:(]

The morning drive to work see's higher speeds for some reason ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
I blast my 180 on a daily basis, it's just too addictive. I had a puma before this and that got ragged for 35k without any mechanical problems (lost count no. times i hit the rev limiter).

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had a race with a mk3 VR6 on tuesday night & we hit 130mph on the A511, it was no standard VR6 is all i'll say

Yeah it was obviously poorly, otherwise it would have blown you away :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by spencert on 14/01/2005 20:10:11

I had a race with a mk3 VR6 on tuesday night & we hit 130mph on the A511, it was no standard VR6 is all i'll say

Yeah it was obviously poorly, otherwise it would have blown you away :)

Now, now...!

Fortunately, in a tractor, the torque gives you the punchy feeling that's required low down... but on the long, straight and unnoccupied stretches of road, i like to go to 4 - 4.5k before changing. I then have to rapidly deccelerate from 1+20 kmh...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes.... mine see's the redline at least every couple of days - IMHO speed doesn't matter, 'cos you can rag the a*se off it without touching 80, but I cruise at **mph...

OT: after all the talk of speeding on the M6 Toll road I saw an unmarked Volvo S60 (only cruising) and a marked estate pulled someone all in the 15 miles or so...

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can't help to rev it too 5.5k as it seems to egg you on in some way or another. Past 4k it feels so stron with those 20v doing there funky stuff [:D]

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can't help to rev it too 5.5k as it seems to egg you on in some way or another. Past 4k it feels so stron with those 20v doing there funky stuff [:D]

Oops soz about tht computer paused half way through posting reply

·
Registered
283 Posts
The golf gets driven gently most of the time to save fuel but at least onece in every journey it gets red lined (ok 4k which is pants really) - just to clear it out![:O]

My 306 rallye gets ragged senseless to over 7k everytime I'm in it. Its got a great engine note and loves every minute of it[}:)] Fuel economy is shocking[:O] But who cares it has oodles of lift off oversteer on hand[;)]

Had my mothers Z4 out tonight for a blast and gave it hell. Had it sideways several times. It's the poor womans 2.5 version, she wanted the 3.0 but the waiting list was too long - I'd have waited as it does lack a little grunt at times, still pulls smooth and strong though! Very nice car though, corners very flat and has good grip levels and predictable break away but tramlines badly on uneven roads.The traction control is a joke though as on the off position its still interfere's you need to hold the button on for a few seconds to REALLY put it off so it has 3 settings not 2!!!

In general I take it easy 80% of the time and rag it the other 20%[:p]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
HARD very hard, stop start journeys all the time - every monday and friday I do an inner city 60 mile round trip with 13 stops on each. On these trips I am carefull not too push it at is its never really warmed up properly. but on normal days it will push a 100 (KMH of course) and will be taken too 6000 rpm one every clear sliproad I find (in national speed limits of course).

BUT the big measure for 4motion owners is how often do you get the esp light on!!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
my golf gets thrashed every day if it breaks i will get it fixed, used to tail off @5500rpm but since i fitted neuspeed power pulleys it revs easier up to 5500 but continues to pull all the way to 7000 at the same pace. absolutely no drop in power all the way to the red line. far and away then best money i`ve spent on my car to date![^]

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Quote: posted by chesney on 14/01/2005 23:56:57

Had my mothers Z4 out tonight for a blast and gave it hell. Had it sideways several times. It's the poor womans 2.5 version, she wanted the 3.0 but the waiting list was too long - I'd have waited as it does lack a little grunt at times, still pulls smooth and strong though! Very nice car though, corners very flat and has good grip levels and predictable break away but tramlines badly on uneven roads.The traction control is a joke though as on the off position its still interfere's you need to hold the button on for a few seconds to REALLY put it off so it has 3 settings not 2!!!

I've got the 2.2 Z4 and know what you mean about the lack of grunt, but the top ends on these 6 cyl engines are glorious - even with only 170bhp if you rag it its shifts and sounds great

They do have great steering and grip - does yours have the sports suspension? Mine doesnt and is all the better for it!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts