Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bit of a dispute with the main dealer from who we bought our 1.8T GTI from. They're looking for a replacement car for us(supposedly), but it has to be black 3 door. I've spotted a X-reg V6, but wondered how good they were and what the mpg(poor I guess) was like. I've previously had a Civic CTR and wondered if they were comparable on performance..

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I drove a 4motion yesterday to see if it did what i was after.

Nice, nice noise, and very smooth..... but it didn't feel that nice to drive. Being used to my Golf, i threw it around a bit more than i did other cars on test drives (Type-R, CupraR etc)..... and found the handling quite uninspiring to be honest. I've no doubt that in the wet it would be lots better... but it still rolled quite a bit, and felt vague.

Obviously its quite a bit quicker than the 1.8T... but not really exciting enough for me.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I used to have an accord type r so have a bit of an insight to both types of car

The V6 is brilliant has lots of low down torque but it can rev if you ask it (not to 9000 though)the handling is good though feedback is none existant compared to a type-r and it rolls alot! though it does depend on your driving style.

Evn though my typer was quicker than the 4mo, the 4mot scared the daylights out of the wifey as the power was available from very low down, whereas she had to try hard to provoke the type r, now shess used to it she loves it especially as it is so smooth especially on our crap roads.

I love it because its easy to drive quickly and it does not get the attention the r did though those in the know quicly spot it.

As far as MPG goes if you do motorway @ 80/100 you will get around 28 mpg

around town i get better than most @ 22mpg though if I race on the lanes ou to North Wales I can get it down to 14 mpg.

I would say buy one, but only get a fully specced up one as the leather recaros and climatronic and xenons make up for the poorer handling which is noticeable at first

I will add that traction is great and with our wet roads it makes it even more appealing especially when pulling out at busy wet junctions,.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I think its highly underated but it depends what you are looking for really. Everyone jumps on the 1.8T band wagon but the V6 is just as good in a different way.

The engine is one of the most characterful Ive ever experienced, makes me smile every time I drive it and offers virtually instant power, lots of torque and wonderfully smooth.

Handling wise in stock form it does roll like all MKIVs. On 6.5 wide Michillens mine used to squeal a lot when pushed and let go, but I noticed a dramatic improvement when I upgraded to 8 inch wide Eagle F1s, and expect even more when I uprate the suspension but for day to day use its perfectly adequate. Oh and with 4WD there is virtually no wheelspin at any point.

MPG? I get 33MPG on a long run, 18MPG-23MPG around town caining it but who cares, better things to worry about in life. I would not swap it for any other MKIV - unless they did a Bora R32...Basically if you are expecting a handling miracle over a FWD MKIV you will be dissapointed - just like any MKIV it needs tweaking, but with a wonderful tuneful V6 and 4WD its a pretty good one.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There's not much more that I can add that Mike and Andy haven't already. The V6 is a fabulous car. Like Mike, there is no other MKIV that I'd swap it for (excepting an R32). It takes a little while to 'learn' the car too, I believe, as it's not an instant 'drivers car' in the same way as other 4WD tourers are.

I get mid 20's MPG tootling around, rising to high 20's when motorway driving. If I'm late for work, it doesn't get above 19! [:D] However, any concerns about fuel economy will be gone just as soon as you take it to 6k rpm and hear the wonderful growl of the V6.

·
Registered
37 Posts
[^]I'm really chuffed this thread has been posted. Checked out a V6 4Mo today, Diamond Black, Recaros, Xenons, Leather, Santa Monicas, Sports Sus, low mileage and my first thoughts were, well, reasonably uninspiring... None of the whoosh as the turbo kicks in as I am used to... but that's to be expected from a normally aspirated engine. On asking the guy what he was running it on (Optimax) to try and ascertain means of improving the gourgeous looking car already I believe that there may be two things here that I am overlooking, the later probably the more important.

1) Super Unleaded (true 98)

2) Getting used to instant torque rather than spooled up boost being released.

Having been a remapped 1.8T lover for 6 years (2 x GTi and A4 Quattro) now trying to drive a car without a turbo is just plain wierd, the same can be said for diesel turbo vs petrol norm aspirated.

I really like the V6 but have the niggle in my mind that it just isn't as fast/fun as the 1.8T (stage 1 remap). I need to let the guy know if I want his car and I can't decide.

Maybe a decider would be for anyones experience of seeing a 1.8T 205 bhp vs a V6 4mo 204 bhp head to head to see how the two compare. Anyone got any experience of this and feedback of pros and cons of each in this scenario? I know this might seem a little facile and childish, but it's kind of important to me.[:I]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I love my 4mo to bits![:D][:D] Yes, the stock handling is IMHO somewhat less than reasonable! Eibach pro springs (115 quid) and R32 arb's (150 quid) sort this out! The torque and endless power I love but the icing on the cake for me is the straight thro' milltek! Oh yes! Oh, and the xenons, brembo's blah blah etc, etc. Pound for pound there is probably more torque available from remapping an 1.8T but it is all down to personal preference, I'm getting too near to 40 to consider how much boost I get and wrestle with torque steer etc[;)]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys for all the info[:)]The one I've seen for sale has black and red interior(not sure if Recaro) has 40K miles(just serviced)is an X-reg and it's ?11K. Does this sound OK. Also, with it being 4wd, how long will a new set of tyres last??? Cheers.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Too much I think.

Brakes are nomally gone by 40k - make sure they've been sorted & haldex oil/filter changed.

?11k is too high, especially with red interior.

I'm no expert but I doubt a dealer would have given much more than ?9k in px for it.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The 4Motion is FWD unless they detect slip, so your fronts still wear out first. If its still got the stock Michellins then they last bloody ages - they are made from marble and granite I believe, hence their squealyness in corners. Great for longevity, crap for driver enjoyment. Mine had 26,000 miles on them when I sold them to Royster and they still had some life left. Anything stickier will probably last a more normal life but transform the car - I am very cynical but can honestly say when I got my 18"s with F1s it was like a new car, far more confidence through the twisty stuff.

My knowledge of Golf V6 prices is limited (Bora man). Id hold out for leather Recaros if you can though, not particuarly rare on V6s but were a pricy ?2k option. Hope you get a good one, you won't regret it. This is the first car I have kept longer than a year - every time I blitz through the gears I remember why I bought it and it still makes me smile [;)]

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
It does tike time to move from a turbo, I came from a 2.2 vtech the v6 requires a completely different driving style, more haste less speed if you get what I mean.

BUT you will find it so much easier to live with lets face it it rains 9 months of the year here and if your like me I dont speed that much in the rain (its way too dangerous) but when its dry I drive the car like I stole it nearly all the time (dont lecture me). However I have found with the golf that the grip and poise it has have given me my confidence back in the wet. YOU CANNOT WHEELSPIN THIS CAR EVER no matter how wet or treacherous you feel safe in the wet.

I have fitted some 17 inche OEM VW wheels to mine as IMO aswell as everyone elses the standard 16's are too small and the tyres absorb too much feeling from the road.

As far as prices go they do vary wildly some cars very overpriced some very underpriced

as an example I bought mine a 3 door silver 4mot, with leather recaros, FVWSH, 2 owners, new Michelins, heated seats,on a W with 69 thou for ?8700 2 months ago this was cheap I could of sold the car on for more than ?2000 more but I liked it to much. Hold out for the leather recaros they are worth it (check out mikedavs site it convinced me)

TBH I have had all the following and this is the best car of all of them

several 205 gti's

Cavalier GSI

Peugeot 306 GTI6 (this is next best car to the 4mo)

Honda Accord Type R

Long term Loan of Scooby

Long term Loan of E36 328 coupe

Long term Loan of Mini Cooper

Long Term loan of Saxo VTS

PS I am not biased I have never been a VW nut as some others but this car has converted me to VW so that say one hell of alot about it (though customer services will make me shy away in the future)

·
Registered
93 Posts
11k is far too high

My 51 plater which is FULLY loaded, all options but sat navi was 11.5k 4months ago. done 48k, i did get a bargin price, i would look about.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've had mine since january and i'm still loving it. As a8wpg said, R32 arbs will make a vast improvement on the handling. Mines got these and the VW sports suppesion and feels great. Bit gutted as mine has just the VW sports seats but it came with the Votex kit, 17's and was all coloured coded! It's quite a rare colour aswell.

Such a lovely car to drive, it's just effortless with all the low down grunt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would agree with pretty much all that has been said here, i personally think its a faantastic car.

It has everything you could want, if you want to go quick it certainly will (wet or dry!) it has comfort, build quality, gadgets etc i could go on. But it is a great all round car.

Little niggles like bodyroll can be sorted for a very small cost so don't let that put you off. As for handeling and roundabouts it is a totally different feeling, it PUSHES you round the corner rather than understeers out, big roundabouts are brilliant! :D

First impressions when you initially drive the car might not slap you with WOW as it takes time to learn the full potential of this car, took a few months to master the LEAP off the line and then the big smile factor came in!

And as for the wet junctions... just point it and plant it! Unless you want some tail end fun, turn off the ESP and spin up those rear wheels in some great sidways action. (on empty roads of course)

And the sound, mmmmmmmmm! There's no replacement for displacement!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I posted on 1st Oct that I had just looked at buying a V6 4mo and now i am the proud owner of it. 1 year old, 9K miles, Diamond black and all extras except sat nav![:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

My earlier concerns of power are fading even after 2 days of ownership... Super Unleaded 98 has cleared most of my concerns and I will check out the R32 arbs as suggested... do you suggest front and back or is it just the front (is there an arb on the back?)

It has standard VW sport sus at present and I guess these are stiffer than standard springs. However, do the springs as suggested in the thread make the ride much harsher?

Lastly, what are your thoughts on engine mods?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well done mate, i hope you enjoy it as much as i'm enjoying mine.

Good questions, wouldn't mind knowing the answers too!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Firstly, congrats on the purchase and get some photos up when you can.

Yes there are front a rear ARBs, get them both done. Can't comment on springs as i've got the VW sports setup on mine.

As for engine mods, i'm just looking into maybe feeding a bit more air into the standard air box and then i'll be going for a remap probably at AMD. Oh, and one other word, Milltek!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just done the first journey of any substance in my new 4mo. Motorway... 82 mph with cruise on 33mpg... 56mph with cruise on 36 mpg... behaving like an idiot (but fun)... 14 mpg... and i was worried about consumption before buying it. Not anymore.[^]

Where is a good place to download pics to to then get them up on this forum?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts