Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how good the ESP system fitted to most or the VAG range of cars is...

Say for instance I was traveling at 70mph on the motorway and I had a rear wheel blow out. Would the ESP system good enough to keep the car in a straight line, while I try to pull over to the hard shoulder. ?[:O]

·
Registered
299 Posts
I tested the ESP shortly after i got the car, although i've never had a blowout it is so clever im sure it would help greatly to keep the car in a straight line. I tried going round a wide roundabout at about 4am while it was wet, once with ESP on and once with it off. It's fairly difficult to get the back out on a golf anyway the front always goes first but i floored it round the roundabout and the front lost grip and the yellow ESP started flashing and i felt the brakes come on slightly, I THINK only the front and back right side wheels were slowed down but it brought the front back pretty well. I tried again with it off at the same speed and as i went round the corner the front just suddenly gave in and I was heading straight for the side of the road! I wasn't going rediculous speeds so i slowed down long before i hit the kerb or anything but it did make me realise how the ESP could potentialy save lives! The only time it gets annoying is if its wet and your waiting at a junction to get out, you see a space and floor it but the wheels spin slightly the ESP puts the brakes on and instead of getting up to speed before the car behind has to slow down, you just crawl out of the junction and annoy everyone cos you didnt put your foot down! So I turn it off at wet junctions now or places i have to accelerate hard but put it straight back on before the next corner just in case!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shroomo for you input. anyone else got any stories about how good there ESP system is?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've got a feeling that ESP will save you in most instances but the problem is having the space to rein it in. I know for the Veyron they tested the ESP on the salt flats!!

Also the nex gen (current gen for Seat) ESP use 'steering hints' so the system can stop sooner if you take the corrective lock hint. If you don't then it uses normal ESP. But you still need a decent chassis set up. I wish my mk iv had it!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
It's pretty good. A few times during the winter it has cut in when my car began to slide after hitting ice going round corners. It knows from the steering angle which you want to go and makes sure the car stays on track.

If it wasn't for ESP I would've slid into concrete bollards on one of those occasions.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I tested the ESP shortly after i got the car, although i've never had a blowout it is so clever im sure it would help greatly to keep the car in a straight line. I tried going round a wide roundabout at about 4am while it was wet, once with ESP on and once with it off. It's fairly difficult to get the back out on a golf anyway the front always goes first but i floored it round the roundabout and the front lost grip and the yellow ESP started flashing and i felt the brakes come on slightly, I THINK only the front and back right side wheels were slowed down but it brought the front back pretty well. I tried again with it off at the same speed and as i went round the corner the front just suddenly gave in and I was heading straight for the side of the road! I wasn't going rediculous speeds so i slowed down long before i hit the kerb or anything but it did make me realise how the ESP could potentialy save lives! The only time it gets annoying is if its wet and your waiting at a junction to get out, you see a space and floor it but the wheels spin slightly the ESP puts the brakes on and instead of getting up to speed before the car behind has to slow down, you just crawl out of the junction and annoy everyone cos you didnt put your foot down! So I turn it off at wet junctions now or places i have to accelerate hard but put it straight back on before the next corner just in case!
I've found that when pulling away sharpish in the wet - happened a few times when doing a 3-point turn, only for idiots to carry on going rather than slow down, just because you've taken slightly longer than normal. I soon learned the error of my ways in not de-activating it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
probably a daft question, but I've got ASR on my tdi 115. what's the difference?
Anti Slip Regulation. Includes eletronic diff lock (up to 30ish) and traction control. Also geing a diesel I think it has a function to stop excessive engine braking.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
probably a daft question, but I've got ASR on my tdi 115. what's the difference?
Not a daft question at all... I was asking about the ESP systems which is an upgrade on ASR, ASR I belive is just traction control........With ESP I presume it has all the functions of ASR plus the ESP part (electronic stability program). This Electronic Stability program is surposedly to stop the car going sideways, ie. Oversteer/Understeer even a 360 if your unlucky enough[:|]

Now I know about pulling out of junctions etc... This is 99% of the time traction control kicking in. ESP I belive is totaly different even thou it may work in conjunction with ASR.... this is to keep the car in a straight line... Thats why Im asking how good ESP is and not ASR....... The extreme case senario 70mph rear tyre blow out.....will it keep me pointed in the right direction??[:D]

Maybe another way of testing this system is to try and handbrake turn the car with ESP enabled?...[:O] I bit drastic I know.......maybe in the snow on a big open car park.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I still owe the ESP system in my MKV a drink or two.....[Y]

Was out late one nite a few months back for a country lane blast and took a right hand bend a 'little' too fast lol, lost the back end at around 65mph and made the classic mistake of over correcting with opposite lock..... just as i was expecting the car to snap back on me the ESP decided the idiot at the wheel had run out of both talent and luck and stepped in! [:D]

Brought the car back into line instantly with no drama and after pulling over to nearly be sick i carried on my way a good bit slower lol!

Worked a treat for me and would definately spec it on any future cars that didnt have it as standard, could be a life saver imo if you had to change lanes violently on the motorway for instance....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice one Beddie!!! that's the sort of stuff im looking for. So that's 1 for
the ESP system.

Know what you mean about pulling over and nearly chucking up.....
Nearly lost the back end on a car a few years ago... was ok for the 1st 2 mins
then I had hot flushes started shaking and had to pull over....contemplating
how much of I hole I could have made in that 6 foot wall. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
As soon as the ESP had worked it's magic the schoolboy giggles set in, followed by a wave of sickyness as i thought about how i had just nearly binned my brand new GTI! Eeek! [:O]

Just ask GaryCundliffe off here about it as i'm sure it will be 2 for ESP then....He was sat in the passenger seat video-ing it lol!!! [:D]

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it most probably saved you your mate and the car....and also gave you a lesson in what not to do again without costing you a penny..[:D]...you cant complain at that.....[:p]

Would be good to see the video if possible mate...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm slightly confused at the difference.

Was esp not only available on the 4mo's? Or is a later model thing as my 01 plate just has ASR, I know that can brake each wheel independantly which I was quite impressed at, but only works on the front 2 wheels.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it was on later models and maybe the high speced early VW`s ..I think all later models say from 2003 should all have ESP. the braking of the wheel thing is a cheap attempt at a LSD (limited slip differential) by VW.

·
Registered
654 Posts
ESP saved me curbing my wheels at a roundabout one icy winter day when the tyres tread were worn close to the limit.  I floored the right foot to pull out before another car joined the roundabout and momentarily I felt the car starting to understeer but it was quickly corrected.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I still owe the ESP system in my MKV a drink or two.....[Y]

Was out late one nite a few months back for a country lane blast and took a right hand bend a 'little' too fast lol, lost the back end at around 65mph and made the classic mistake of over correcting with opposite lock..... just as i was expecting the car to snap back on me the ESP decided the idiot at the wheel had run out of both talent and luck and stepped in! [:D]
That sounds like lift-off oversteer to me. Truly a pants filling moment[N]

You need to get more carting in mate[;)]

·
Registered
569 Posts
ESP saved me one day on the motorway , i was in the outside lane ( very busy ) waiting to move over to the middle lane , checked mirrors and just looked over my shoulder for blind spots , when i looked back the car in front had stopped , not enough braking distance but i slammed on and yanked the steering violently to the left then to the right . Wow a lot of body roll but the car handled brilliantly , would have definately lost it without ESP .. Excellent [:D]

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've got a feeling that ESP will save you in most instances but the problem is having the space to rein it in. I know for the Veyron they tested the ESP on the salt flats!!

Also the nex gen (current gen for Seat) ESP use 'steering hints' so the system can stop sooner if you take the corrective lock hint. If you don't then it uses normal ESP. But you still need a decent chassis set up. I wish my mk iv had it!!
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/country/gcf/newsID/2061025.002/volkswagen/volkswagen-esp-plus-steering-impulse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts