Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - need your opinons here.... I am wanting to sell my Anni for an R32 I have seen for sale. The R has done 20k miles and is being sold for GBP13.5k but is advertised as Cat D but now fully repaired. You can see it for sale on Autotrader. Whilst this damage may have been as slight as a skim on the door (or can it be worse than this?). The R has warranty until 2007 and is fully specced with full black leather and sat-nav too. Is it worth my while to go ahead and will I be able to sell it easily later on? [:S]

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
is there photographic evidence of the repair or the damage? if so it will help alot... along with a reputable engineers repoart

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

The only problem is, the write off is recorded on Vcar as written off, on one of the following categories (as far as i can recall)

CAT D - Can be repaired, and put straight back on the road
CAT C - Can be repaired, but, needs inspection at a Ministry of Transport Test Centre, and the test will be marked on the log book.
CAT B - Break Only - Car CAN NOT be put back on the road. Has to be broken for spares
CAT A - Car has to be destroyed. Cant even be broken for spares
CAT X or CAT E - Unrecorded.

(taken from the tinternet!)
The slavage category system is suppose to give a rough idea of damage, D is light, C is beyond economical repair, B is damage to the sub frame and A is total write off such as burnt out etc.
Some CAT D cars are mint.

In some cases CAT C or D cars are a good buy, if professionally repaired, and at the right money. Dont expect a garage to take one as Part Exchange though!

More info here: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/487872/ShowPost.aspx

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I've seen the one your on about and it does look mint.

I always think, so long as you have the documented evidence that the car is all above board and fixed up, then it's fine as your saving a hefty chunk of money. The one above that R32 on a national search is the same price but 4x the mileage and without satnav etc.

I know someone who wrote off their car through no fault of their own. It was Cat C and the garage decided to repair it. He now drives around in it again and he say's its exactly the same now as when he bought it new. You wouldn't tell the whole front was knackered looking at it now. He said it actually drives better now too as the traction was sorted out!

For a Cat D and the amount your saving, I would give it a punt. But as always, viewings and impressions of the seller of the car are paramount.

Cat D can be a door being dented and needing the door replacing. Its not driveable with the door like it as it won't shut, replace door, driveable. Therefore, while the dent is in the door, it's taken off the road. (I'm not talking a small dent! Something which stops the car from being driven).

As for re-sale. Be prepared to sell privately and take a lot less than what it's really worth, just how your buying it.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
as long as you know you will be getting a lot less when you sell it, it seems like an investment - i mean a r32 you can keep in the family, so to speak...
i would...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Cat D can be a door being dented and needing the door replacing. Its not driveable with the door like it as it won't shut, replace door, driveable. Therefore, while the dent is in the door, it's taken off the road. (I'm not talking a small dent! Something which stops the car from being driven).
as a matter of interest, under what circumstances would a circa 15k car be written off to Cat D just for a door needing replacing? don't quite understand the difference between that and a minor insurance claim that gets dealt with normally and fixed.

With regards this particular car, it's all false economy really. If you plan to keep the car for a long time, or buying cat D is your only option to get your mits on an R, then go for it... I'd definately be tempted. But just bear in mind that when you realise how expensive to run it is and want to sell it, you'll be selling for a similarly low price.

cheers,
b6x

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
if you're gonna keep it a while then why not, even when you sell it won't have depreciated much more than any other R (and probably less than a lot of other cars!) in which case you've not lost out

wish i could have one

·
Registered
248 Posts
Cat D means the insurance company could have repaired it but decided not to.

This normally only happens when a decent amount of damage has been done, you dont really expect an insurance company to declare a car as written off and pay out the full value unless they really have to.

Odds are it had quite a bit of damage, it definatly will have been more than needing a new door thats for sure. You need to see the inspection report as to why it was written off and details of who repaired it, I would also say an independant inspecition would be worth the money.

If everything seems fine go for it, its not like you have to drive round with a big cat D sticker on the back or anything so who's to know.

Theres some info in evo this month about it funnily enough, may be last months now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would also doubt that Vw would keep up any warranty on a car thats been Cat'd. Still i would go and have a look at the car and spend money on an AA or RAC inspection.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, my dad but a cat d vectra years ago (2.5v6) it had roof damage on it, but he made sure that he took pictures before any work was done and while it was being done to show any future owners. Once it had been repaired, you could not tell it had been in an accident. For that money, I know I would buy it if I could..

·
Registered
579 Posts
cat D can also mean the car was stolen the insurance company paid out and then the car was recovered with just lock damage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Firstly, the first thing that anyone buying a 'Sports' car does, is an HPI check.

Secondly, you may (or may not) be surprised at what gets 'Written Off' these days. Sometimes can be as little as 2 marked panels.

Thirdly, any recorded category can be checked by a local Ministy Of Transport approved engineer (NOT your local MOT tester though!). The number for you local one can be obtained by phoning HPI. This costs around ?200, and removes the car from the HPI list, to an approved repaired list (which will still affect value, but offers a peace of mind to all concerned).

Fourth and finally, full leather and optional Sat-Nav and be used to 'lure' customers into 'it's worth it' mode. Nice options to have, but concentrate on the car more, rather than the options. I'm sure if it didn't have the sat-nav, you may not be as keen.

If you plan to keep the car for a long time, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue money wise. Just make sure you're happy with the seller, all repairs and the condition of the car.

(If this car belongs to anyone here, please post and explain the situation!)

Steve

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
Max - you can get a clean high miler R32 for that sort of money, and
still be able to walk away in a few years time with a car that can be
sold straight. If you're not going to be doing high miles I'd consider
taking that route instead.

I had a chance to buy a Cat C repaired Anniversary for about 9k. I was
supplied pictures of the damage and restorative work (done to a high
standard as well), but I just couldn't face the prospect of having a
serverly devalued car further on down the line.

/2p

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guys - thank you for all of your replies. I have read them and think it might be worth probing further still (if it hasn't been sold by now). I have written the guy selling it an email detailed below:

Hi there - interested in your Golf. Whereabouts are you located? I am in London. I have a few questions and would be grateful if you could answer them:

• Does the car still have a VW warranty or is it a warranty provided by a third party?
  • Do you have the before photos prior to the car being restored (ie showing all the damage)?
  • Do you have a reputable engineer's report on the repair of the car afterwards?
  • Can the mileage be verified?
Looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards

Maxie Islam

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a reply from the guy:

# the car had a minor damage thats why its still under wv warrenty.

# no previous photo.

# the ins company gave it to vw its self so dat should be there.

# the milege is verified bcoz vw its self fully serviced an stamped themself a few weeks ago.

the car drives an looks mint, you hav to see it to believe it, we can come to some good agreement..

mr choudhry

Comments anyone? [^o)]

~ Maxie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts