Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as I thought the issues with my car were finally getting sorted ( http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/257740/ShowPost.aspx ), I find something else has bust with my car today !!

Its a 3 door, so when I push the seat forward to let someone in the back, the seat is supposed to move forward as well as tilt forward. Today I discovered that it only tilts forward and does not slide forward. [8o|]

The slide mechanism works fine - if I sit in the seat I can move it back and forth no problems. Its just when you want to let someone in the back it will not slide !!!

I'm getting sooooo fed up with this now - when you spend c.?19K on a car you expect things to be right. The only plus point to all this is that I have a great excuse not to give fat people a lift anywhere ! [:D]

Seriously though, I've had enough, and want to reject the car.

Can I do this ? Presumably the dealer is going to try to tell me that I can't. But all the things that have gone wrong with the car - surely its not fit for sale ? I've had the car since mid April - am I too late to reject it ? Is it too much to ask to have a car that does not have something constantly go wrong with it ?

If I can reject it, whats the process ? How does it all work ? Do I have to have exactly the same spec (not that I have any problems with that, just nice to know if I have options). How much will 2.5K miles and 4 months ownership cost me ? (presumably they wont swap my 'old' car for a new car for free ?)

Any advice before I phone the dealer very much appreciated

Nathan

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Nath - quick check... When you pull the handle up and shov ethe seat forward, do you shove it all the way so it clicks forward and locks in the forward position?? This is the only time the seats slide, they stick otherwise... I nearly made a grade a prick of myself before I sussed this one out, so just to double check :)

No idea about rejection though so I'll shut up and bugger off now [:(]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Nath - quick check... When you pull the handle up and shov ethe seat forward, do you shove it all the way so it clicks forward and locks in the forward position?? This is the only time the seats slide, they stick otherwise... I nearly made a grade a prick of myself before I sussed this one out, so just to double check :)

No idea about rejection though so I'll shut up and bugger off now [:(]
I had trouble with this too. They actually work quite well - IF you get it right. If you don't you can end up in a right tangle, having to re-set the seat position. The Mkiv pop up seats were much better in that they were fool proof and independant of the slide mechanism.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
rejection isnt easy, you have to give them enough chance to fix the problem, only after giving them chance, and it still been nackered do u have a leg to stand on.

They will probs say VW UK havnt contacted them to say to reject it... this is a load of rubish, the contract of sale is with the dealer so its an agreement between you and them on rejection... call trading standards see what they have to say etc!

good liuck

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had problems with the 'easy' access feature too.  There definitiely does seem to be a knack to it.  Although the Mk IV system was much easier to use, I wouldn't want the unreliable seat base mechanism that went with it back in the Mk V.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nath - quick check... When you pull the handle up and shov ethe seat forward, do you shove it all the way so it clicks forward and locks in the forward position?? This is the only time the seats slide, they stick otherwise...
No, just been out and checked, and it is definately stuck / bust (call it what you will). The seat folds forward all the way to its stop, then just will not slide forward.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Fair play, good luck with the rejection! [:)] Just didn't want it to be something silly, having nearly got stuck myself! [;)]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, just got back from the dealers. The seat is indeed broken ([:^)]), and they need to get some parts in to repair it !

Spoke to the After Sales manager about the possibility of rejecting the car on the grounds of it being a 'friday-afternooner' and not wanting a car that is constantly having things break.
He was actually quite receptive to the idea. There is a hidden agenda for him - I am trying to negotiate them to retro-fit cruise control as compensation for the troubles I have had with the car and the dealer in general, and he really does not want to do it. He does not want to pay for it all, and he is really worried that as they have never done it before he might be underestimatnig the work involved and also that they might not actually be able to do it without breaking something else ! (not that he's admitted all of that to me - reading between the lines)

So, I will be going back in next week to negotiate a replacement car, and this is where I really need some advice.

Realistically I know this will cost me money - what should I expect to loose on a 4 month old 2005 model 3dr GT TDI, Laser Blue, 17" Grand Prix's with 2.5 - 3K on the clock ?

Also, I want the same or better spec, and from reading this forum is sounds like they have made features that I have as standard an option. EG. I have 2Zone, and thats now an option. And I have an ashtray with lid - presumably this is not the smokers pack option ?
What else have they changed, that I need to make sure is included ?

Many thanks for your advice,

Nathan

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Since you were supplied a car not fit for purpose and you have been having problems from it was new it should not cost you a penny.

I reported a serious fault on my original mkV within a week of getting the car. I let them try and fix it and they couldn't so they agreed to give me another car. It was handled as basically a trade in at full value against another car. I had to wait 10 weeks for a factory order to my spec and they gave me another new Golf to use FOC in the meantime.

Remeber to tell them if they get iffy that any fault within the first 6 months is assumed to have been there at delivery thus making the car contravene the supply of goods act.

I re-specced my car, changing colour and adding 2 additional extras which is all I had to pay for.

At the end of the day they are not really doing you a favour as they will have supplied an extra car which they will make money on from VW and also been paid for any warranty work they have done by VW central.

So to sum up, stick to your guns and tell them you expect a replacement car at no cost to you.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My brother recently rejected his Audi S4 (last of the old shape) due to
paintwork defects, they had several attempts at rectifying the damage
and eventually said there was nothing else they could do, he spoke to
Customer Services who backed the dealer. He spoke to a solicitor who he
found online, they told him to get the damage assessed by an
independent garage, this assessment was forwarded to VAG by the
solicitor with a rejection of the vehicle. He got himself a new shape
S4, Audi just charged him 1.8p a mile for the mileage incurred between
them accepting rejection and delivery of the new one. The solicitor
cost ?50.00

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since you were supplied a car not fit for purpose and you have been having problems from it was new it should not cost you a penny.
I guess you are right - if you consider any other consumer device, you would expect a straight forward replacement. A tumble dryer for example - when we brought ours from Currys, the warranty was basically 3 repairs in the first year. Anything over that and they replace the unit like for like, no quibbles. We had it repaired 3 times, and on the 4th, they replaced it no problems at all, and it did not cost us a penny.
And it should be the same with anything - you buy something in good faith; if it breaks, they repair it; if it continually breaks, they should replace it.
Thats how it should be.

I reported a serious fault on my original mkV within a week of getting the car.
What was the issue you had ? Whilst the faults I've had are a right pain in the butt, they are probably not 'serious' (but serious or not, a new car should not have faults)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I reported a serious fault on my original mkV within a week of getting the car.
What was the issue you had ? Whilst the faults I've had are a right pain in the butt, they are probably not 'serious' (but serious or not, a new car should not have faults)
There was a vibration through the gearstick in 4th gear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the dealer to arrange my rejection over the weekend. Well, to say not happy is an understatement ....... [:mad:]

Basically they want to charge me to change the car, and no insignificant amount either.
Lets just put this in perspective - its a 4 month on old car with 2600 on the clock. To give me the same spec car with the addition of a colour I dont want, Lux Pack 2, centre arm rest (without CD) and Cruise Control (which I believe the dealer should pay for) (none of these options I asked for - its a car they can pull from group stock) - they offered me the amazing deal of ?3000 !!!!! Yes, they want me to pay ?3K to get a car of the quality I should have had in the first place !

I told the salesman that I felt that they should change the car like for like for free, and that I would be happy to pay for options/extras (assuming I actually want them !) He said that I need to contact VW directly (even though I know my contract of sale is with the dealer not the manufacturer). Basically got a big ol' brush off from the dealer.

Went home and phoned VW. The guy on the phone said they would not change the car for free because its been used and has miles on it. I explained that whilst this is true, it has never been right from day 1, if the car did not have faults we would not be having the conversation, and that if this were any other consumer product you would expect a replacement.
I said "does the Sale of Goods act not offer me any protection ?" to which he said "No, it actually offers us (VW) more protection" !!!,
I said the car is not up to a reasonably acceptable standard, and that it is not fit for purpose - a door handles purpose is to open a door, when it snaps it no longer opens the door and is therefore not fit for purpose - one of the features of a seat in a 3 door is to fold and slide forward to let people in the back, as mine no longer does that it is not fit for purpose.

Basically he was having none of it !; but what he did let slip was that when they do do a rejection, they charge 15p a mile. For my car that works out at ?390. Whilst I do not want to pay anything, a few hundred quid is more acceptable, and one could probably find that kind of money to get a car that is not a Friday-afternooner.
When I told the guy at VW that the dealer was trying to charge me ?3K he was speechless ! At least he can now understand my frustration and why I was getting my hair off with him !
He said he would phone the dealer on Monday (today)

In the mean time I then phoned the Sales Manager at the dealership, told him that I had spoken to VW as he had suggested, and that they had confirmed that my Contract of Sale was with the dealer (an embaressed silence from the dealer) said that VW had told me that this should be treated as a rejection not a part-ex (another embarresed silence !).
He said he would wait for the call from VW and someone would get back to me !

[8o|][8o|][8o|] - how unhappy am I ? How can this all be so difficult ? What do I have to do to make this happen ?

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
I have had loads of problems with mine which include:

Failure to start ( twice ), rattles in dash, both front doors, glovebox, sunglasses holder in roof, flat spot between 2-2500 rpm, loose trim clips in tailgate. At the weekend, I noticed that I have a raised "bump" about 5-6 mm round in the rear offside door which wasn't there 5 days ago. Not sure how bumps appear ( I understand dents but raised paintwork ?? ) and am worried about it being rust.

I struggle to get any help from my dealer - and constantly have to call them

Grrrrrr !

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'm really glad i didnt read this thread when i was buying mine.

No probs with mine yet but it's only a month old so ill hold judgement for a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Basically he was having none of it !; but
what he did let slip was that when they do do a rejection, they charge
15p a mile. For my car that works out at ?390. Whilst I do not want to
pay anything, a few hundred quid is more acceptable, and one could
probably find that kind of money to get a car that is not a
Friday-afternooner.
Sounds pretty similar to my brother's experience, the dealer took no
notice of his intended rejection even after he'd spoken to Customer
Services, he needed to get a solicitor's letter (?50) to Audi and the
dealer to get some action. He had a pre facelift S4, got it changed for
a facelift S4, kept the old car till the new one turned up (factory
order) just had to pay his mileage which was I believe something like
the 15p/mile you've been told (not the 1.5p I quoted earlier).

Let me know if you need the solicitor's details it was somebody in Cornwall he found via Google.

Good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can i just say one thing!

Trading Standards and Consumer Direct!!

I rejected my first ST170 focus after 2months!! they now the law!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the misfortune of rejecting four cars since 1998!! The latest being a MK5 GT TDI for paint defects. The Sale and Supply of Goods Act clearly states that the goods supplied must be free from defects, when refering to new items. carry out an internet search and you will find numerous references to the act. You should not need a solicitor, however you need to put your reject in writing asap listing your reasonsd and giving the dealer 7 days to respond. Dont be fobbed off by the dealer, as some else has said in the eyes of the law the contract is between you and the dealer. If you want any further info i can probably help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts