Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above.

Since the colder wetter and slippier weather has set in, im begging to wonder whether my car has become a 2Motion![:(]

This all started at the beggining of the month when me and my girlfreind were staying at a cottage in the lake district and i struggled getting out of the steep drive. the drive was tarmac, but the lane at the top was a combination of mud gravel and general sludge. As the front wheels came in to contact with this they started to spin and the car just hovered there, Shouldnt the rear wheel gained drive at that point and pushed me up the drive?

Also over the last week or so i have managed to get the front wheels spinning on the road and as far as i can feel, no rear drive.

Can someone please help/reassure me that my 4wd has not packed in and going to cost me lots of money.

Cheers and Happy New Year to All

Jambo[:D]

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I notice you've got it lowered, I remember taking certain cars too far disables the rear drive - like old Cavalier GSI 4x4's, they were really sensitive.

I'm sure only 30mm is fine, but it's a possibility?? Anyone else?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i've only had mine about a month now, and haven't been hammering it because of the new brakes, but i have given it some recently, and there was a definite push when the rears kicked in. it was like the back was squating a bit. also took it up a relatively steep incline at a farm, and as soon as the front lost traction, the rear kicked in and the car managed to crawl without too much fuss/slippage.

and unless mine isn't running properly (or i'm just driving like a wimp), i can't get the wheels to spin.

although i'm no expert, and a relative newcomer, i would say your 4wd ain't working properly. see what your local dealer has to say....

·
Registered
459 Posts
You may not pick it up with vagcom as the Haldex controller is seperate to the main ECU. Could be the haldex handbrake sensor is knacked and is disabling 4wd. This happend on my mate's S3, he almost replaced the full haldex unit, before we checked the sensor.

Could also be a problem with the clutches or low oil. Have you checked the oil level in the haldex box ?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
vag-com does scan the haldex controller......

howvere if the plug etc was out of the haldex unit it wouldnt respond or if the fuse had blow to it..

What happens if you turn the traction off and try to do a traditional burnout (big wheelspin?)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vag-com does scan the haldex controller......
howvere if the plug etc was out of the haldex unit it wouldnt respond or if the fuse had blow to it..

What happens if you turn the traction off and try to do a traditional burnout (big wheelspin?)
It sits there spinning the front wheels![:(]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy,

tried last night but it said to many connection errors, so i tried again and it said something about a DTL connection fault. ( I have the lead and software, but dont own a lap top so i have to scronge one befor i can do anything) I cleared all faults and will check again on night tomorrow in work to see what has come back.

will keep you posted

cheers

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i ran vag com last night and it showed up nothing, but i was wheel spinning all the way how so its definatly not working. I can feel my wallet cringing![:(]

·
Registered
44 Posts
so no fault code shown with the vag-com?

I have seen these things die and unfortunately usually they are not repairable

Perfect opportunity to get the "other" Haldex (the one with the blue case) which gives you more rear drive compared to the factory one [H]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah will deffinatly do that if thats the case, but really hope its just a bad connection on the plugs!

·
Registered
121 Posts
definitely sounds F*(ked - I have some pretty serious lowering (50mm+) and newer had any wheel spin issues - well only for about a micro second before the 'squat'.

Dealer time...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok where abouts is the Haldex controller mounted then, need to have a look at plugs etc, also how do i check Haldex oil level?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounds exactly like mine used to be. Mine was caused by a faulty control unit, I replaced with the uprated one and now it's excellent.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would check the fuse first, easily done before checking anything else. Guy at works S3 got a new controller fitted under warranty for it still not to work, turns out the fuse had blown.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok next question. where is the fuse, my manual doesn't show it and the hanes doesn't cover the 4wd cars!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ran VAG COM last night, scanned the AWD and got

16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal

P0571 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Could this be dissabling the 4wd?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was under the impression only the handbrake being on would make it a 2motion - but it could well be connected to your fault code.

Have you checked vwvortex?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts