Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help anyone have any idea how to stop condensation on the inside of the windscreen turning to ice i get this everytime the temp drops below freezing.

I have no sunroof no wet carpets whats going on how do i stop this never ever had a car so bad at this i have climate control is there a way to use this to stop condensation build up on the inside.

it takes 20 mins extra in a morning to see out of the windscreen have to have the climate on the windscreen to clear enough to see out of.

Is this a problem that effects mk4 golfs in general.

Rant over[:mad:]

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply the pollen filter is changed at every service and the recirc is always off.

Anyone else have any ideas how to stop it from from freezing up.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
condensation is caused by damp in the car which is freezing over night,so water might be getting in some where..as Neil mentions change the pollen filter and also lift the carpets up to see if thier damp under neath

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All seems dry pollen filter is changed at every service and the carpets are dry.

Really am stumped any other people have this problem.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Some carpets have a waterproof liner underneath (golfs?) so they may feel bone dry on top, but socking underneath - as said, there must be a high moisture content in your car for this to be happening i'm afraid.

Mine was the worst it has been this morning, but we've had sooo much rain this last 24hrs, and the temps went low last night - either way it only took 2 min to clear, and most of what was there 'arrived' when i opened the door and the damp air hit the screen.....

Tom

·
Registered
89 Posts
try using one of those moisture traps you get for caravans and damp rooms. only a couple of quid. there designed for pretty bigish spaces so it cant hurt putting one in your footwell overnight. they have a little tank to catch the water they absorb.

just a thoght.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i have the same problem, been trying to find a way to stop it happening for ages now, but no luck yet im afraid

·
Registered
636 Posts
You must have water or moisture somewhere in the car if your getting condensation mate. I have the same problem i noticed the pollen filter had a crack and a part chipped away, if you look on the under side of your pollen filter there is a lip that catches the tray when you try to put lid back on, this might be broke or another part of it, as the lids are a nightmare to put back on & its very easy to be tempted to just ram it back in, as my freind did to mine, sealed it for now, looks perfect from the top.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check your boot/wiper motors not leaking. My Dads A3 was getting condensation on the front windscreen - discovered a leaking rear wiper motor causing the problem. It also took out the boot lock microswitch.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Check your boot/wiper motors not leaking. My Dads A3 was getting condensation on the front windscreen - discovered a leaking rear wiper motor causing the problem. It also took out the boot lock microswitch.
Another common problem rears its head lol, not checked that on mine, 99% sure it on't be connected, sure the person who bought my golf from the show room had every common problem fitted before he left. Going to check it later, is it easy to check?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Another common problem rears its head lol, not checked that on mine, 99% sure it on't be connected, sure the person who bought my golf from the show room had every common problem fitted before he left. Going to check it later, is it easy to check?
Yeah mate, just take off the trim on the inside of the boot lid and have a look.

·
Registered
72 Posts
might sound silly but if u have a dehumidifier stand it up on the back seat over night it will dry and carpets out or any damp in the atmosphere . i did this and it seems to be fine now. although the weather as warmed up a bit recently

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replys I have checked all the areas mentioned and all seems fine.

It must be me giving off heat[:)] that settles on the screen when the temp drops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts