Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its approaching 2 weeks since my GT TDI was stolen from outside my house and still no news [:(]. However unlike a few other members on this forum, mine was nicked without access to my keys. Assuming the thieves didn?t have a copy of the keys (someone at the stealers, a mechanic, previous owner etc?) how would you go about nicking a Golf? Others have mentioned a well-known security flaw, what is this exactly??

I want to know so I can better protect my next Golf and also because the insurance company have started their investigations and asked me if I have any ideas as to how a car with a Thatcham approved system could be stolen so easily. In the dog-eat-dog world of car insurance they probably think i did it[:)]

Cheers

Carlos

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i wouldnt say that it is wise to put this sort of info on the internet for all to see

then every little tom Richard and harry will be nicking them

sorry to hear about the golf but tbh i would say yours has been the same case as my old rover. some one had a key cut/copied at the dealers

they wanted my rover for the audio that was in it but they were had as the day it was taken all the gear was out as the car was due back in to get a water leak fixed [;)]

what a let down it must have been for them when they got it to the garage to open the boot and only find cables [:D]

·
Registered
875 Posts
All the well known flaw does is let them in, it does not disable the immobiliser. So they must have had a copy of the key or something. As if the key is used in the door instead of the fob it still deactivates the alarm and immobiliser. When you got the car did you get two flick keys and plastic copy, as this is what you should have had?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: posted by Russell on 11/02/2005 13:47:40

All the well known flaw does is let them in, it does not disable the immobiliser. So they must have had a copy of the key or something. As if the key is used in the door instead of the fob it still deactivates the alarm and immobiliser. When you got the car did you get two flick keys and plastic copy, as this is what you should have had?

Sadly I only got one key, I know, not good [:(] I actually bought another remote fob off Ebay the night it went missing so I could get a spare re-programmed.

So basically the consensus on here is that its literally impossible to steal a newish Golf without the keys?

Cheers

Carlos

·
Registered
875 Posts
Pretty much, unless you suffered the sam way as another member who had there car stolen from a dealers compound using the dealers flatbed truck.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Braking in is one thing, driving it away is another, if it was driven away then I suspect they must have had the old keys for it.

For future reference if you buy a vw and dont have all the keys, go into your dealer and ask to have the keys you already have reprogrammed, this way if an old owner has kept a spare set it wont start the car as the car has been recoded only to start with the keys you got matched. It might cost 1/2 labour but it also gives you some peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
can i ask if this flaw is present in all Golfs, or just earlier models??? Have R32 owners on here updated the security features on their cars??

·
Registered
161 Posts
hi[:)]

If this "well known flaw" which i have not heard off.(must change my circle of friends) If all it does is allow them access into the car , then i am not too bothered. At the end of the day we could all get into our cars using a brick.

I having being seriously looking at the disklok but I keep on getting told that the standard immobiliser whould be enough to stop them from driving it away

If on the otherhand this well known flaw allows the scum to drive off, in that case I am corcerned.

Can the well known people please confirm this , so that i can add additional security

thank you in advance

ps hope my comments don't offend anyone

[:)]

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote: posted by weeloon on 11/02/2005 14:12:53

For future reference if you buy a vw and dont have all the keys, go into your dealer and ask to have the keys you already have reprogrammed, this way if an old owner has kept a spare set it wont start the car as the car has been recoded only to start with the keys you got matched. It might cost 1/2 labour but it also gives you some peace of mind.

That is an excellent idea, I wish I'd thought of that at the time.

Carlos

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I can confirm that unless you have a low loader or the key, it is almost impossible to drive the car away. Breaking in is easy with Brick or other methods, but driving away is a different matter. Even getting a key cut will not help to steal the car, as the immobilizer will need to be reprogrammed.

Edited by Carlos

·
Registered
63 Posts
Whilst I know nothing about the actual security 'flaw' on the mk4, I think Carlos has a point in that there should be some legitimate way of finding out exactly what it is so we can protect against it. Can I ask my dealer about this fault? will they even know what it is?

I live in Carlisle, and the police were putting out a warning a couple of months ago to anyone with a golf/bora, because a team of pro car thieves were going round breaking into golfs and bora's and stealing the drivers airbag out of them all (presumably to sell to dodgy crash repair centres for ?500 each), they broke into all the cars (about 10 per night) without ANY alarms going off or anything being damaged or broken, they simply shut the car door again and left when finished. does this sound like the 'flaw'??

I would really like to know a bit more cos for someone like myself who has a car with TV's, playstaion, ICE etc etc in it, then just being able to get into the car would be a huge problem for me if it happened.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I think all that really needs to be said here is that delocking is a pretty good idea, for all that it costs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to here about the theft.I had my GTITDI nicked from my drive.

The buggars broke into the house and took the keys to mine and the birds Coupra .

I've now got CCTV and Blackjax is going into my next car as soon as I have the readies.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Quote: posted by Tim B on 11/02/2005 14:33:23

Whilst I know nothing about the actual security 'flaw' on the mk4, I think Carlos has a point in that there should be some legitimate way of finding out exactly what it is so we can protect against it. Can I ask my dealer about this fault? will they even know what it is?

I live in Carlisle, and the police were putting out a warning a couple of months ago to anyone with a golf/bora, because a team of pro car thieves were going round breaking into golfs and bora's and stealing the drivers airbag out of them all (presumably to sell to dodgy crash repair centres for ?500 each), they broke into all the cars (about 10 per night) without ANY alarms going off or anything being damaged or broken, they simply shut the car door again and left when finished. does this sound like the 'flaw'??

I would really like to know a bit more cos for someone like myself who has a car with TV's, playstaion, ICE etc etc in it, then just being able to get into the car would be a huge problem for me if it happened.

All they will suggest is to de-lock the car and try and charge you for doing it. When it seems to be a relativly straight forward DIY job. ALthough I have not done it myself.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The 'security flaw' was well publicised on Watchdog and is pretty much common knowledge. However we have to respect the wishes of those who do not want it discussed and try to avoid mentioning the exact technique! Suffice to say it does not affect 2003+ cars (I think?) and delocking your pre 2003 MKIV is generally considered a wise move - its cheap and very simple (guide on my site).

I know nothing about the cars imobiliser; is it honestly impossible to steal a MK4 without the key? Seems a bold claim

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
There are guides on de-locking on this forum. I will not go into any details but the car cannot be stolen using this method but items from within the car are at risk, as well as severe damage to the lock.

It is safe to say that I have delocked both my doors, even though I have nothing to steal from the car. At least if the brink + window method of entry is used my alarm will go off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just read this topic........quick search on google and found a few things mentioning the "security flaw"...so it is true, but says only on newer golfs polo's and passats

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Quote: posted by BuckToYou on 11/02/2005 15:54:13

Just read this topic........quick search on google and found a few things mentioning the "security flaw"...so it is true, but says only on newer golfs polo's and passats

Did you mean to say older golfs polo's and passats? VW claim to have cured the problem on 2002 model year cars and newer. As said before, de-locking is a "very good idea" on earlier cars, and helps as a deterant to messing with newer cars.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts