Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, I personally like them tickeld gently while.....DOH! Wrong forum

In all seriousness, potatoes are one of the best veg's (if they are a veg, if not, what the hell are they as I'm sure they are not a fruit).

So, do any of you have some really mean ways of turning the best homemade spuds into something extra extra special!?

Theres nothing that beats homemade roasts spuds....mmm, I'm getting hungry! You see, this crimbo, it's my turn to entertain the family and cook for them in my new place, so want to surprise them and not have tesco's finest frozen roasts!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
How about good ol Irish champ.

Mashed spuds with Scallions (spring onions to you folk) and butter. Served on the plate in a ring shape with nice cold milk in the centre!!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Potatoes are tubers, starchy lumps in a system of roots. I like mine baked BUT they must be a certain variety, not your Tesco "Value" rubbish. King Edward's bake well and Waitrose do a superb variety but I forgot their name (you buy four big ones in a pack.)

Eaten crispy skinned with metled strong cheddar and olive oil and a salad.

Skewer with metal skewers and they bake extra fast in the oven. Don't microwave.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Its gotta be a mountain of mash for me with a mince meat pie, swimming in liqer!!!! Mmmmmm!

Or boxing day dinner ( cold meat and mash) Big dollop of mash with yellow pickle and pickled red cabbage mixed in it! good stuff!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Roast for me, Maris Piper, part boiled and then fluffed and Roasted in really hot fat. Hmmmm crispy outside with a very fluffy inside.

Also like them mashed, with a Sweet Potatoe and MP combination making a nice change.

Can't stand them just boiled, unless they are new potatoes.

Paul

·
Registered
145 Posts
Being a student I cant afford upmarket potatoes but I steam my potatoes with a spot of salt sprinkled over them and them mash using butter and give a good stir with some milk. Depending what im eating them with I sometimes mix in cheese or garlic or pepper or spring onion.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Then i guess you have to ask yourself whether you'd prefer having cheap spuds and a 4mo or posh ones and a 1.0 polo? [:p]

i know which i'd choose

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being a student I cant afford upmarket potatoes but I steam my potatoes with a spot of salt sprinkled over them and them mash using butter and give a good stir with some milk. Depending what im eating them with I sometimes mix in cheese or garlic or pepper or spring onion.
Hello [:)]

·
Registered
249 Posts
I like my spuds any which way they come, i LOVE spuds!!!!!

If i had to choose i would be hard pushed to decide between par boiled and then roasted, with some rosemary and garlic salt or just plain mashed with butter and splash of milk.[:p]

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
EJO, were you by any chance listening to Radio 1 before? They had Nigela Lawson on (i think ...shes a chef anyway) and she was saying how great potatos are....and i thought actually they are.

Jacket Potatos for me, with sweetcorn and cheese

Or mash with gravey and sausages...

Do love my roasties too.

I like crisps [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wasnt listening to the radio no, just was wondering about cooking the crimbo meal! They think they are getting a load of packet stuff.

Just doing my best for my family this year as I have a bit more cash than I ever had, and they always struggled to give me a good crimbo, so time for me to give something back.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
EJO, were you by any chance listening to Radio 1 before? They had Nigela Lawson on (i think ...shes a chef anyway) and she was saying how great potatos are....and i thought actually they are.

Jacket Potatos for me, with sweetcorn and cheese

Or mash with gravey and sausages...

Do love my roasties too.

I like crisps [:D]
She is a chef. She was on TV before aswell. I've got afew of her books. [:)]

I like roast potatoes, jacket potatoes and mashed potatoes made like Alexandra said!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Or boxing day dinner ( cold meat and mash) Big dollop of mash with yellow pickle and pickled red cabbage mixed in it! good stuff!
I thought it was just my family that had cold meat, mash and pickles on Boxing Day!

As for spuds, well if I have them roasted I like to spread Marmite on them part way through cooking. I also like jacket spuds but that's about it. I cannot stomach tinned or boiled potatoes [+o(] and am not keen on mash unless it's got cheese mixed through it.

My speciality is sliced potato (with skins on), coated in olive oil and sprinkled with salt and black pepper then put in the oven for about 30 mins[:p] If I'm feeling adventurous I put cheese on too before cooking.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I thought it was just my family that had cold meat, mash and pickles on Boxing Day!
We have it too! Cold turkey, mash, beans and sausages [:p] hopefully this year my taste wont just disspear for no reason like last year [:'(]

Its gotta be roasties for me, part boiled then shaken about to make them fluffy then in the oven, we just got some goose fat to cook them with so cant wait to see what they will be like! [:p]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Boiled potatoes are great IF you use a nice tasty potato (current favourites are M&S bagged freshly picked new potatoes, some lovely flavours in those). If you find them bland dull and boring, you'reu sing the wrong spuds, and add something to them when cooked to spice them up a bit [:)]

Roast are the cream of the crop - Jazz got that COMPLETELY spot on - part boiled, tiny bit of salt, then into very hot fat... Crunchy edges and fluffy innards... God I'm getting so hungry here...

Mash is lightly buttered with just a small drop of milk (not a fan of milk, too much makes me go [+o(]), don't like that too often tho [:)]

C

1 - 20 of 24 Posts