Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always been massively into keeping my car and anything else for that matter in the best condition possible.

I clean my car every weekend and wax the car and wheels every kind of couple of weeks. I use meguiars car shampoo, then zymol wax (smells wicked[:D]) and i have a good wheel wax. If im going out that day and fancy impressing some of the ladys about (HAHAHA) i use the auto glym showroom shine which is fantastic!!!!

What routine do you guys have with your car?? I really want to find the best way of keeping the body work protected to the maximum. What waxes and polishes do you use and how often you apply these??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
M,

Sounds like you have a good routine going already, using some goo products too, you dont say the colour of the car though ??

I'm almost as sad as DOC, But i dont clean my wheels every few days (LOL, just jokin DOC)

I was her friday night, currently using ZYMOL (but nxt at times), I use a kitchen pan brush to get right in to the rims & back of the wheel faces[:I].

Then sat am, normaly about 7am, I'm out giving her a coat of ZYMOL,(used to be NXT) followed by a top coat of P21S canuba, this give a fantastic WET look.This treatment also applies to the wheels & under bonnet[:I]

Tyres I'm currently using Maguiars endurance tyre gel, although I have used the Tech protectant in the past, on the plastics I use NXT Tech Protectant.

Windows, just plain old windowlean, with Rain-x on top of that.

Here she's is anyway::

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38912

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool. Thanks mate.

Mines black aswell.

Is P21S canuba any good?? What is it and what does it do??

How often do you wax your car??

·
Registered
223 Posts
I generally wash the car every week using Autoglym Shampoo. Clean the alloys every week with hot soapy water (use Wonder Wheels if brake dust very bad, remove wheels every 2 months or so to get the insides done).

Every other week I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish (2 coats) and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Trying not to verge on the obsessive - g/f thinks I'm mad enough as it is [B)]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
M,

no worries, happy to help

P21S is a a pure wax, made from brazilian canuba wax & beeswax, gives a very wet looking shine.

How often do I do it, if its dry on a sat morning, then it gets done, some may say thats too often, but I think you can never have too much of a good thing.

id try these guys out,thats quite a good price, 32dollars in usa at moment

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/sp/products/polish_wax.php

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jace, Could i cheat with meguiars Quick Wax:Carnauba protection or do you prefer the P21-S??

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by M on 30/09/2004 15:23:42

Jace, Could i cheat with meguiars Quick Wax:Carnauba protection or do you prefer the P21-S??

Argh ! No !! stop !![:)]

Quick wax is a liquid, not too great at getting the canuba to stick, its good but not as good as P21S, which is an actual solid tub of wax, just like boot polish.

I've tried many brands & the P21S is the bizo, you could go the ZYMOL titanium route, if you have deep pockets...

Worth trying the Maguiars NXT though, I think maguiars should still have some free samples[:)], email them from their webpage,Maguiars.co.uk, it works wonders on dark cars.[:D]

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've just tried NXT wash wax and NXT tech wax. Bought the car up looking really nice but I can't get rid of those damn bugs!

Better get me some Meg bug and tar remover I guess or a clay bar, unless anyone has any other recommendations?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I find maguiars Quick detailer quite good for removing the little bleeders, or washing it in the rain, but people think your very sad then[:I]

I dont rate the Maguiars bug stuff, hard work in my view

·
Registered
223 Posts
Bug removal - uber cheap:

Take the net bag oranges come in, wrap it around sponge, apply to bug splat et voila [^]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by NETDI on 30/09/2004 22:46:12

Bug removal - uber cheap:

Take the net bag oranges come in, wrap it around sponge, apply to bug splat et voila [^]

WTF !!

Does wonders in removing your paint too. I guess you dont have a black car

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I only wash my car once a month [:(] due to having a family.

But I used to do the following on my pugs

Hoover Use dry paint brush on vents etc.

Nail brush on pedals.

Polish glass inside.

Armor all LOW GLOSS protectant on all plastic.

Take mats inside the house and hoover with an upright as it gets more dust out.

Wash outside with autoglym shampoo, dont miss door closes or bonnet/boot shuts.

Spray inside of wheel arches with traffic film remover

jet wash body.

Clean wheels with sponge, and assorted toothbrushes (bend em with a lighter to get to any orrifices).

Jet wash wheels and wheel arches.

Get good quality chamois and chamois whole car.

Run car round block to bounce all water off.

1/2 coats of Auto Glym super resin (including wheels and lights).

Use toothbrush with cotton cloth to get autoglym in and around door shuts/hinges.

Polish exhaust with peek.

Take a small shoe polish brush and wrap cloth around it and auto glym the lower sills.

Treat all exterior plastic with armor all low gloss protectant.

Polish outside glass with vinegar based window cleaner and newspaper

Apply tyre shine.

Remove polish with a clean old t-shirt (also remove polish from. wheels now as that will prevent tyre shine overspray).

maybe finish paintwork with a clean yellow duster and a bottle of high quality furnture wax

The first time I do this to a car I normally shampoo inside aswell, and it will take 2 days as I will also polish the engine bay and give it at least three coats of wax

After Ive done this to a car a few times it will only take me three hours, as its already pretty clean.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by NETDI on 30/09/2004 14:09:47

Every other week I use Autoglym Super Resin Polish (2 coats) and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Super Resin polish contains cutting agents that could through excessive use be bad for your paint in the long run.

When I got a new MINI a couple of years ago I asked what was best for the car and they said on a new car not to use SRP just Extra Gloss Protection. He confirmed that SRP had cutting agents in it.

If you are hooked on Autoglym products try using Extra Gloss Protection instead perhaps using the SRP every 3-6 months if you think it needs it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 01/10/2004 23:14:08

Super Resin polish contains cutting agents that could through excessive use be bad for your paint in the long run.

What a load of ballmale chickens...............

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
SRP is a POLISH that means it does have very slight abrasives in it, all polishes have an abrasive in it a good example is toothpaste. SRP has nowhere near enough abrasive in it to damage paint, and if thats what what a min dealer says then Im more likely to ignore him as he works for bmw so is already up his own backside

·
Registered
165 Posts
M,

I've always looked after my last 3 Golfs well but am really getting carried away with my new Anthracite V5. Have a look at www.autopia-carcare.com. It's an American site run by detailing freaks and their service is well good. On advice from them I've just got some Sonax gloss shampoo from Performance Motorcare Products, Birmingham (bought off ebay) and I used it this morning. It's loads better than Autoglym shampoo conditioner. I've always used Autoglym SRP but never tried Carnauba wax. Read a lot of reviews of Zymol but could no way justify the price of a starter kit. I am currently waiting for a Pinnacle Souveran Wax kit which I've ordered from them (should take a week from the States. It cost $107 inc p&p and if the wife finds out she'll go mad). The bloke at Autopia said it works a treat on top of SRP. I'll let you know what it's like as soon as I've used it.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by squky clean on 02/10/2004 21:35:05

Quote: posted by kenl on 01/10/2004 23:14:08

What a load of ballmale chickens...............

Thanks for your reply !!!

I am only quoting what the Autoglym technical guy told me. I'll look out the email and post it on here.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by andymac on 03/10/2004 09:36:14

SRP is a POLISH that means it does have very slight abrasives in it, all polishes have an abrasive in it a good example is toothpaste. SRP has nowhere near enough abrasive in it to damage paint, and if thats what what a min dealer says then Im more likely to ignore him as he works for bmw so is already up his own backside

Not the MINI dealer but Autoglym themselves who told me that it is better to use Extra Gloss rather than SRP on a new car due to the cutting agents.

If it has cutting agents in it and you use it 2 coats every two weeks then surely that cannot be good for your paintwork? If you are treating your paintwork every two weeks would you not be better with a pure wax and only polishing every six months or so.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
The dealer's correct in saying Super Resin polish will damage ya paint!

I treated my Brand spanking new Indigo Blue Gti to SRP practically every week when I first got her.. Not long after did I realise that the whole car was covered in swirly marks.. Little did I know back then the difference between polish and wax..

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
OK here is the response I got from Autoglym. It looks like my (old) memory was playing tricks on me as they don't actually say it could do harm. However using any POLISH every couple of weeks cannot be good for paint. A cutting agent "cuts" into the paintwork so through time may not be good for it.

Their message read:

"Dear Ken,

If your Mini is brand new you only need apply Extra Gloss Protection. Super

Resin does have cutting ability but not so it would damage your paintwork.

Many dealerships prepare their new cars with this product without any

detrimental effect, they just get a great shine!

You can use the products as often as you wish, but we would recommend a good

treatment of the Extra Gloss before the rain and winter sets in."

Note they do recommend Extra Gloss over SRP for a new car though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts