Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just something curious that i couldn't find when searching the forum. My Golf has the 1.6 engine and has the ESP traction control. Would this car be drive-by-wire? I've just read that some Golfs are DBW and others have normal cable-operated throttles.

Jason

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. Open bonnet
2. Look at intake manifold (silver at front of engine with four intake ports for cylinders)
3. If has it has a cable going over the top, it's the throttle cable, if there's nothing it's DBW.

Also look for your engine code, it's in letters dotted at the front left corner of the cylinder head.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Oops, just noticed that yous is the 1.6, so above may not apply to you. But would be of similar structure if not same positions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i'll have a peek tomorrow as its getting dark as I write this! Also what do you lot think of the Bora name? I don't think its as good as Jetta.

Jason

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
sit in the car , start the engine,with it still in neutral rev it up to around 2000rpm while holding the revs there put your other foot on the brake pedal.if the revs drop down its drive by wire.

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
sit in the car , start the engine,with it still in neutral rev it up to around 2000rpm while holding the revs there put your other foot on the brake pedal.if the revs drop down its drive by wire.
Exactly what I was going to say [;)]

Works on mine [Y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
My Y-reg (bought in 2001) 2002 model year 1.6 is DBW, so the Match edition almost certainly should be, unless they decided to use all the reject parts, scraps and leftovers to build the runout models [:O]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Y-reg (bought in 2001) 2002 model year 1.6 is DBW, so the Match edition almost certainly should be, unless they decided to use all the reject parts, scraps and leftovers to build the runout models [:O]
Since my Golf Match is 53 reg, im pretty certain its DBW as the accelerator feels "different" to a cable-linkage.

Jason

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whats the advantages and disadvantages with dbw compared to cable???
Im not really sure, all I know that as my local VW dealership confirmed, all post-2001 Golfs are fitted with drive-by-wire systems. Anything made before 2001 has a mechanical accelerator.

Jason.

·
Registered
411 Posts
whats the advantages and disadvantages with dbw compared to cable???
Im not really sure, all I know that as my local VW dealership confirmed, all post-2001 Golfs are fitted with drive-by-wire systems. Anything made before 2001 has a mechanical accelerator.

Jason.
Mines a 2000 an a W and its DBW. So yet another VW stealer who knows diddly squat.

Paul.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Way I found out was there is a light on the dash when you start the engine. It lights up ECP on the rev counter i think.

When I rev it when not moving and poot the foot on the brake the revs don't die??? They do if Im moving and do this though, anyone elses car do this?

Edit, poot* LOL. I meant put [:$]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts