Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after a bit of help please.I've got a Golf 1.8T GTi 150bhp (standard model, no mods) which I've had just over 3 months and going great, my first VW. I've been thinking of increasing the bhp but have no idea how to go about this as I'm totally new to all this. Whats re-mapping and chips? Where could I get this done (local VW dealer)? How much does it all cost? I know some of the other 1.8T's have 180bhp and would like to increase to this or maybe a bit more.

Any information, advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
im not to clever on the re-mapp etc but 1 bit of advice! save a hell of a lot of money and stay away from vw dealers except for servicing!

·
Registered
931 Posts
revo, custom code, jabba sport all do remaps. wil increse power to about 200bhp.

could allways go big turbo route, 300+bhp [;)]

have a search on here, theres loads of help

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi mate

as you have an agu engine code with a k03 turbo you are limited to about 190-200bhp with a remap, where as the later models had a k03 sport turbo which can handle more boost and so give bigger hp gains.

westec performance in newport can remap your car with the revo code which will give about 190 bhp for about ?350 + vat

cheers

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there, thanks for all the advice. Regarding the Engine code, I dont know what mine is?? When I signed up on here it gave me a few choices of 1.8T GTi, AGU, AUM etc, so I just clicked on the AGU??? How can I tell what mine is? Sorry I'm quite new to all this.

Thanks,

·
Registered
34 Posts
sorry mate, it should tell you your engine code on the sticker either in the boot by the spare wheel, or on the first page of your service book

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, just checked, engine code is AUM, what does this mean??? Is this a later model or something (sorry my car is 02 Reg, 4 years old)?? How will this affect getting an increase in bhp?? Someone said it would cost about ?350 to have it inreased, up to maybe 190bhp or 200bhp??

Thanks,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Andy,

My engine code is AUM too.

I had a free 5 hour trial of a remap by REVO, it was absolutely awesome, go try one for yourself mate, it has to be driven to be appreciated.

I am sure there will be a REVO dealer near you somewhere.

JB68

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
wats this revo trial? do they fit an revo to car u drive around for 5 hours max then let them know if u want 1???

·
Registered
621 Posts
Hi Andy,

I too have an AUM, but I opted for the APR remap, then had the stage 2 upgrade,[:D][:D] along with turbo back Miltek, CAI and performance filter, every body thats been in the car say it's very smooth. Loads of pull throughout the rev range, in any gear.

I know it's a very biased opinion but it's all I can offer, as I've not experienced other remaped/chipped AUM engined cars.

Check out the link for your local distributor.

http://www.goapr.co.uk/distributorsmini.html

They also offer the free trial[:D].

My 2p

HTH

Carl

·
Registered
102 Posts
wats this revo trial? do they fit an revo to car u drive around for 5 hours max then let them know if u want 1???
They upload a remap to your ECU (under the seat?) for a free trial of 5 hours. After the 5 hours it just reverts back to standard. You dont have to go near the shop again and there is no pressure to purchase the full price permanent remap........but once you have tried it you will want one :)

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The cheaper Revo remaps (1.4, 1.6, 2.0 - anything under ?499 full retail) do not have trial versions. I had my 1.6 given the Revo treatment for ?219+VAT and it's been good, don't expect massive gains as it's a small capacity non-turbo.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
219 + vat is good! so how much more gains do u get? also wat about insurance? does this go up a bit? because i was thinking of getting new alloys i want to resor sum of the lost bhp!

any 1 know how much a good exughst is?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can i suggest getting an upsoloute chip/remap from simon at CCCtech for about ?300 he will come to your home and fit it in less than an hour (this took my AGU from 150 upto about 190)

another point to make (not sure if im right but hey )
isnt the AGU engine better for tuning than an AUM due to the bigger inlet?? as i understood the only restriction on the AGU was the K03 turbo which can be swapped for a K03s and then custom remapped?

And as to what BHP you can get then surely it has to be about how much you are willing to spend, and another final point if you cant corner then poweris nothing so i suggest you look at uprating the suspension as well (thats my next move) [:D]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, thanks for all the advice, I'll look into it, but dont think I can afford to spend that amount of money at the moment but would love to see what it feels like having 190bhp plus!!!

Thanks all, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
They upload a remap to your ECU (under the seat?) for a free trial of 5 hours. After the 5 hours it just reverts back to standard. You dont have to go near the shop again and there is no pressure to purchase the full price permanent remap........but once you have tried it you will want one :)
I've heard stories that they telepathically send nueron signals to the cars main frame computer, this then turns the car into a Lamborghini for 5 hrs only, after which it reverts back to a slug !!

If you pay extra you can opt for the Ferrari Enzo version !!!!!

Only kidding ya !!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts