Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just bought a whole load of paint, laquer, primer and wet&dry for my colour coding project. I have already done the rear valance, but now plan to do the front valance, rub strips and possibly the mirrors - maybe the door handles too!

Although i am pleased with the rear valance, i didnt quite get the glossy finish i wanted, it seems a bit dull, not very shiny and still has that plastic feel (these are only noticable on close inspection).

Has anyone got any painting tips to help get that high gloss finish? My car is jazz blue, so ive chosen white plastic primer (on the rear valance i used grey [:$], which i think was wrong). How much laquer should i use? I didnt use much on the rear, 2 coats, not enough? Is laquer the key to glossy finish? i read is only really used on metallic paint - i didnt think jazz blue was metallic? Halfords said it was - the colour match seems spot on.

Any tips would be great,

Thanks

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Yep the glossy finish is defo to do with the laquer use as much as
possible when we done sonnys valances we done about a good 5-6 coats
and let ample time for drying, once the valance was completely dry
and the paint was hard, give it a compound to flat the paint and
remove and discrepencies in the paint and then polish and wax on top of
that and that will add to your glossy look that you are after.

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I agree with Satnam, about 5 coats of laquer, the first coat should be done to a tacky paint surface to get a good adhesion to the paint, then allow to dry and coat as normal, use a very fine wet, soapy paper in between coats.  As said, then compound to remove orange peel and polish up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, thats giving me more and more incentive to get going! I obviously need more laquer on that rear valance. If i decide to take it off and top it up with more laquer how should i prep it? Just use a fine paper on it to key the surface? Then start adding laquer? I didnt polish it either, just clipped it back on, i'll probably do that to all the parts now.

Thanks again for the help [Y] [Y]

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Give it a colour wash as they say so just run some 1500 wet n dry paper
over it (wet) and make it feel smooth and the dry off and clean off any
dust particles etc then start sprayin up again. HTH

Sat

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, yeah thats great, i look forward to making a start! Cat1.4, i read you post about colour coding the other day, how hard was it getting the front and rear rub strips off the car? Do you have to reach under the car to pop out any clips? Or do you just carefully wedge them out from the front? Im planning on leaving the door strips on (for the same reasons as you, and many others). I didnt get to see the pics of your car though as the pics had been deleted i think.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
People keep telling me they've read this, but I have no idea where it is! Do you have a link & I'll see if I can fix the pics?

I didn't actually take any of the strips off, just sprayed them in situ. Has done the job ok you can't see any joins or anything, but I'd probably take them out if I was doing it again so as not to be lazy!

I believe you need to pop the strips out from the back & we didn't have any tools to take the wheels off at the time so didn't bother

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have colour coded quite a few bits of various cars I've had. The finish always looks a bit flat on plastic parts but as said above, use a cutting compound then polish and you get an amazing finish.

You can use T-cut (get the right stuff fo metallic though) apply with 1200 wet/dry paper in some soapy water - this is the point where you panic as it looks $hit after this! but apply more T-cut with a cloth buffing quite hard, then finish with polish.

Practice first but you will get a mirror finish is you do it right.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Unforunately, i think you've bought all Halfords paint?

The first thing i would reccomend for high visibility stuff you want to paint is good quality materials from proper spray shops.

You may pay more but you also get what you pay for. You will also get
fanned spray nozzles with aerosol mixed paint which helps no end.

My advice, get the yellow pages out, find a paint and materials supplier and go along and have a chat.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Unforunately, i think you've bought all Halfords paint?
The first thing i would reccomend for high visibility stuff you want to paint is good quality materials from proper spray shops.
You may pay more but you also get what you pay for. You will also get fanned spray nozzles with aerosol mixed paint which helps no end.

My advice, get the yellow pages out, find a paint and materials supplier and go along and have a chat.
You can get fan spray nozzles from Halfords and their paint is excellent and not cheap at ?10 per can.

I have not had any issues with any of their paint and I have used it lots of times for cars and bikes. If its a professional finish your after, then by all means go out and buy a compressor and spraygun and everything else that goes with it, but, if you are looking for a very very good DIY finish, then you cant go wrong with Halford paint IMO.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to both of you for your advice, however im going to go with Dubswich on this! I have already (as you know) bought the paint, and i've already started painting the rear rub strips, well they're primed at the mo.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far i have done the rear strips, they're drying for the night (lots of laquer!). Maybe im being fussy, or to much of a perfectionist, but i think i've made a mistake in the smoothness of the plastic. I sanded down the strips, and removed most of the dippled effect (before primer), then i applied the primer, then lightly sanded again with a 500paper. After painting and applying laquer, looking at it now i have a nice shine! But its as though you can still see the dippled plastic a bit, its only when light is reflecting off it you can see it, but i know its there, and i dont like it! lol

Is the same for anyone else, is it unavoidable, or have i just screwed up!? lol

Thanks in advance,

David

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Elliot, you didn't have to remove the dimples by rubbing - it's no bad thing but just the long way round!

The easiest way would have been to rub down to key and spray a few coats of filler primer on.

That will fill the dimples and give you a smooth finish.

Then the more coats of normal primer and top coat you have the better it will be!

[:)]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, i did that before, with the rear valance, but i still seemed to get that dimpled effect on the finish. It might just be because its plastic, but i was expecting a finish more like the smoothness on my car! Maybe a bit optamistic, looks cool anyway!

I dont really have a decent cutting compound to use when its all dry. All i have is some mild swirl remover polish by Meguiars, will this do? Then i plan to wax with some nxt tech wax, and pop back on my car! (then take some pics![:)])

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Pop down to your local propper car shop and ask them if they got any G3
compound as this will flat your paintwork down easily and leave it
feeling smooth.

Sat

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should see my car at the moment! lol, no front number plate, no valances, no rub strips! [:p] I cant drive around like that! Lol

i may have to wait untill i can get any G3 anyway, i could always use this after my strips and valances have been replaced on the car though, ill just have to clean it first?

Cheers Sat [Y]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts