Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn! What a nightmare!!

Yesterday had to take and bring back a Ford Transit slow, 2.4D 90ps hit top long wheel base thing up to london to drop some stuff off and then go back to Devon.

Started out at 9am in the Van. Got to London at 3pm (had to pick up stuff and someone else before we got going). Had to get to Topsham. So, stuck the GPS on, off we went. Got to London and the GPS goe's skitso. We ended up going round Camden a few times, went past the BBC, Regent Street, I'm sure we were in Park Lane or close to it at some point, just sat in traffic mostly with me cutting up anyone in sight. Anyone eventually got to Topsham.

Time to go again. Spent 3 and a half hours getting from Topsham to the M4 sat in traffic jams going on for miles. Went through wembley, wood green and somewhere else this time.

How on earth do you people who live there stand it every day!? 8.30 the roads are quiet most other places! 3 Hours just to get to the M4 from Topsham, 3 hours to get from the M4 all the way back to Exeter!!

Saw a few nice golfs though, if you were cut up by a 'National' Van Rental van, I apologise!!

Anyway, rant over, but seriously Londoners, get yerself out of there and somewhere else!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I drive around the city every day in and out on the M3 and if you pick your times well all is ok. the other thing i you just get used to sitting in traffic and listening to music or the radio. The worst thing to do in London is to get stressed because it just makes your journey worse! Also knowing your way around the back roads helps alot as it is a city there are so many ways to get places!

And there is no such thing as cutting up when people travel and 0.2mph lol.

Anyway good luck next time and i know what you mean about sat nav if i ever use mine i never turn it on until i am out of the city and it cant get too confised!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I drive to London quite often and you just get use to it. I naturally change my driving style a bit to suit the traffic behaviour.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'm with W36EJO. London is not a place I would ever want to live, for many reasons other than the traffic.

Whenever I do go to London, I usually leave the car on the outskirts of London and get the tube to where I need to go. The thought of driving and parking in central London quite frankly horrifies me.

Give me the New Forest and its 'lovely' roads on my doorstep anyday!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hate the place with a pasion! I have to come here for work... in the middle of a 3 week stint in docklands... getting close to kicking my job in because of it... wasting my life in traffic really gets me down! [:(]

I NEED to move back to Sydney! rush hour for me was about 6 cars on the Anzac Bridge (Glebe Island)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well for me, it was a case of getting used to it. But surprised you lot aint changing your clutches every week. No one let's you in to another lane, especially if your in a long white van, I ended up having to use the london driving guide of 'I'm bigger than you, move....now'. Didn't help being in a van of that size when I'm used to cars.

But seriously, 3 hours to do I think it was 12 miles (according to the GPS which didnt go mental on the way out) is plain ridiculous!! I was getting annoyed, and could not see how anyone could see that as a life, sitting in traffic jams day in day out.

I'm just a country boy though!! I didn't mind driving round there, don't bother me, but having to cut everyone up as they simply will not let you in got me in a road rage situation. Even my mate sitting in the passenger seat was getting annoyed with people! M4 came and I have never felt so free in all my life!

And and and.....What the f' is up with the bus lane on the M4 going into London!?! What the hell is all that about!!! Not one single bus or taxi using it!!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
If I lived in london graham i'd oly use the car when I knew most of my journay would be outside london.. day to day and going to and from work would be the tube or bus.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I lived in london graham i'd oly use the car when I knew most of my journay would be outside london.. day to day and going to and from work would be the tube or bus.
I don't know how far into London I actually was. House was in Topsham. But dunno where the BBC is, but were sat right outside it and mate goes 'look, the BBC' and we both nearly wet ourselves. (Country boy's get excited about seeing things we see on TV in real life!!). Then we went past Regents Park and unsure where Camden was, but know we were there. Stupid thing was, it took us off this road which went past GlaskoSmithKline and all the other tower buildings, right around camden for a while, and the BBC etc, back to the roundabout we had come off the flyover on and put us back on it! 45 mins wasted going round in circles and this was TomTom.

So, how far was I into London? We didnt have any congestion charge permits or anything [:S]

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I think London is very over rated as a city.

When we went down for the Gumball back in May it was not a very nice place to drive full stop, too many cameras to worry about & imigrants who couldnt drive.

TBH, I think most folk who do work in the central part of the city use the Tube/buses.

Dont forget though Graham, your a country bumpkin & if you saw more than 2 cars a month your were excited [;)]

When I 1st started work in Brum I had been told nightmares about the M6 & spag junction, all of which were rubbish.

You adapt your driving style to your surroundings, I know that when I'm coming up to my junction I jump in at the last moment & never let anybody push in, & at round abouts, stick your nose out & then go, no waiting.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
I don't know how far into London I actually was. House was in Topsham. But dunno where the BBC is, but were sat right outside it and mate goes 'look, the BBC' and we both nearly wet ourselves. (Country boy's get excited about seeing things we see on TV in real life!!). Then we went past Regents Park and unsure where Camden was, but know we were there. Stupid thing was, it took us off this road which went past GlaskoSmithKline and all the other tower buildings, right around camden for a while, and the BBC etc, back to the roundabout we had come off the flyover on and put us back on it! 45 mins wasted going round in circles and this was TomTom.

So, how far was I into London? We didnt have any congestion charge permits or anything [:S]
The huge glaxosmithkline building is very near heathrow in the west of london, going out almost at the start of the M4, right next to the A4 (I think). The bbc building would either have been white city or shepherds bush in the west. regent's park is pretty much central london though, but camden is heading north of central london.. you seem to have been all over ! I would have thought if you were by regent's park then you would have been in the congestion zone.. or damn close to it.

You mentioned going round near wembley so I reckon the tom tom took you off the A4/M4 then onto the north circular, (the A406), then round to camden area (ish).. though I think you'd have had to of driven south to camden from the 406.

Here's a quick ms paint map of london roads that you may have been on..

Posted Image

The big circle round the outside broadly depicts the M25..

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The BBC building was defo near white city, we were at the building, moved a bit then at white city, cus we were reading the signs! We went through sheperds bush also though, remember that now, or at least saw signs for it. The A4 rings bells.

I think we went all over too. Deffo went past regents park then took a left, all white buildings, big black gates before hand.

We came in from the west and the person I was moving stuff up for was going to Middlesex Uni and she lived in Topsham.

Oh, we also went past Totanam (sp) hotspurs. Erm, can't think of any other landmarks, but the A4, if thats the big flyover is like playing a computer game coming through all the tower buildings at night! [:D]

I mention wembley yes, thats the big stadium with that massive ark coming up from it? That's how we were guessing, plus signs for wembely etc and then suddenly we were there.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
The BBC building was defo near white city, we were at the building, moved a bit then at white city, cus we were reading the signs! We went through sheperds bush also though, remember that now, or at least saw signs for it. The A4 rings bells.

I think we went all over too. Deffo went past regents park then took a left, all white buildings, big black gates before hand.

We came in from the west and the person I was moving stuff up for was going to Middlesex Uni and she lived in Topsham.

Oh, we also went past Totanam (sp) hotspurs. Erm, can't think of any other landmarks, but the A4, if thats the big flyover is like playing a computer game coming through all the tower buildings at night! [:D]

I mention wembley yes, thats the big stadium with that massive ark coming up from it? That's how we were guessing, plus signs for wembely etc and then suddenly we were there.
Christ graham it sounds like you were navigating like stevie wonder.. "and then we went there and there" and so on ! lol

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL love your picture!!

Right, I done a multimap to see where we went....

M4 to Ealing....up to West Acton.....Along the A40 to Regents park.

It was along the A40 I'm sure that the GPS went mental and took us on a guided tour of north london. Somehow, it took us past the BBC (the curved building) and people were lining up for the audience admissions. We then went round various places full of normal, run down (I have to say it!!) shops and eventually, got back onto the A40, which now, looking at the map, we could have carried straight on.

Anyway, from regents park to Kentish Town up to the Wood Green area and from there, were were practically where we wanted to be.

Coming back....

Through wood green, past Tottenham (hence why we saw the spurs place), into Hendon, Hendon down into Wembley and we came off then and did a little GPS guided tour. From Wembley to Uxbridge into Hayes and then finally the M4.

Looking at the map's, we did seem to go into places we didnt need to go into. I think the GPS got confused in Wembly. We could have gone down the M25 from Uxbridge, but GPS said no (and I didnt know the M25 was there anyway!!).

So maybe I got a rough deal in London thanks to the GPS, but so did the other 6 miles of people in traffic jams!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you went round Regent's Park and then north up to Camden you would have missed the congestion zone, it starts to the south side of Marylebone Road (that's the road at the end of the A40)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you went round Regent's Park and then north up to Camden you would have missed the congestion zone, it starts to the south side of Marylebone Road (that's the road at the end of the A40)
LOL love these places names. We kept referring to Monopoly to figure out if we were in a posh place or not! We knew when we hit Regents Park, it was quite expensive on Monopoly, and were getting quite excited about going through Mayfair, but we never got there.

I have been to, and driven round London before. But as a tourist, stayed around the Thames and used the Tube. I did a job in Wembly once, but didnt have GPS back then and just found signs for the M25 to get out of London. Most of my work when I was field engineering around London was around Essex and St Helens and stuff, as was working for Merck Sharpe and Dohme in Hertford.

I just think, after yesterday, anyone living in that and enjoying it must be mental!!

Girls are nice up there though. Right next to me in the other lane was a girl, roughly 25, blond and had sunglasses on in a DB9. That was around Regents Park area. She could have been really famous, but I could only peer down from the van into her windscreen as all the other windows were blacked out. She gave me a look as if to say 'your ugly, in a van, f off'. [:'(]

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
you get used to it, get to know a lot of shortcuts that can save you a lot of time, but the girls in the db9's make it all worth while

by the way i think there were a couple of accidents on the a4 yesterday so that could have screwed you, i drive from slough to chiswick often and its not often over 1/2 an hour but usually avoid the m4 junc 3-1 as once your on it you can't get off for miles

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Londons a Piece of pee compared to Liverpool and Manchester ATM there is so much development on here that of the five major inner city trunk roads 4 are being worked on at once and often have been cut from 4/3 lanes down to 1.

A 15 stop Journey that took 2.5 hours 8/9 years ago takes me 6-7 now .. it really is a pain in the arse.

And we dont have the option of taking the tube as in the suburbs the statiopjs are too far aprt

·
Registered
674 Posts
Most of the traffic is made up from Country bumpkins driving round in circles getting lost!!!!!!!

Seriously though, London is my home city - born and breed and wont have anyone say anything bad about it. But would I live there now - No Way!

I lived and worked in London for 25 years, and I moved to B'stoke 14 years ago - London these days has lost in most parts, its community. There are so many different cultures from so many different places in the world that (gets ready for the flak) dont want to live as Londoners, but want to live in London - or expand that and say dont want to live as English but want to live in England. Its happened in many big cities over the past 20 years and thats one of the reason I moved away. Im not racist so please hold the comments. I like a multi cultrial nation, but I began to feel like the minority in my own street so decided enough was enough and moved.

London has become over crowded and over priced for years. Its still my home City and I love London as much as I love England.

PS - I hope you paid your tourist tax when you drove that van through the streets of london (Congestion Charge)

·
Registered
437 Posts
So in short . .

Country boy goes to the big smoke,
arrives at the wrong time when the rush is about to start, doesn't know
where he's going and ends up lost [:D][:D][:D]

Hardly London's fault is it ?

The
trick to driving in Central London, as you seem to have found out, is
to just go. Everyone else drives the same way so will half be expecting
you to pullout anyway.

If you wait for someone to let you out you'll be there all day !

Next time, take an A-Z and don't rely on a poxy TomTom.

For
what it's worth, the worst journey I've had was driving to a small
village just outside Exeter for a wedding last July. Why the **** does
everyone slow to a stop as the pass Stonehenge[:mad:]

·
Registered
437 Posts
There are so many different cultures
from so many different places in the world that (gets ready for the
flak) dont want to live as Londoners, but want to live in London - or
expand that and say dont want to live as English but want to live in
England.
Bollocks !

These different cultures do contribute to London - contrary topopular belief not everyone takes, they do put something in.

The dustmen are mainly foreign now, why, because those who want
to 'live as English' or 'as Londoners' would rather claim benefits.
Lazy barstewards don't even have to walk to thePost Office anymore.

Similarly builders, why pay a workshy local to do a **** job
when an Eastern European will do a better job, often for less money ?

What do you mean by 'living as a Londoner' or 'living as English' ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts