Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

How come my TDI only gets 450ish miles out of a tank?

2K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  lee23051977 
#1 ·
hi guys, sorry for another question, but i keep seeing all these quotes of MPG, etc. and thinking about mine i'm averaging about 42mpg.

My daily trip is 40 miles (80 mile round trip) M25 then A3 probably averaging 80mph, so how come most it seems are getting MPGs in the 50-55 range?

I'm in a 2002 GT TDI, only thing really is that may be different is the 17" santa monicas.

I usually fill up at ESSO as it's the nearest to me and seems to be the cheapest @ 95p a litre! it seems to be averaging out at about 100 miles per ?10 (same as my old punto 1.2 sporting![:$])

any help appreciated.

#3 ·
Make sure the tank is full. The Golf is notorious for air in the filler neck and if you keep the vent button pressed when filling up you'll get enough fuel in for another 100 miles.

The people who get 50-55mpg are not getting it consistantly. Brim to brim figures over 35k miles shows mine at 43mpg which is quite normal considering I'm not that gentle with the right hand pedal.......

#5 ·
I reset my average mpg gauge after each fill up, and when i go to fill up i check, and its normally about 40-43mpg, depending on how ive driven it. And its normally 450 miles per tank. But it also depends on the weather the warmer it is the better mpg, on a cold day (5-8 degrees) ill get 45-50 for the trip home from work (26miles) but the other day i drove the same trip the same way, but the weatehr was warmer (around 12 degrees) i got 60.8mpg, my record so far, you'll notice a better consumption when the weather picks up! This latest tank, has had some of the warmer weather and im on 430 miles and i still have just under a quarter of a tank left! Hope this helps you a bit.

#8 ·
I also get about 450 to the point where the fuel light comes on, although if I try and can get 500 but wheres the fun in that.

Venting the tank will allow you to get more fuel in but wont change your mpg!?

The computer also lies and is pretty much always 2-3 mpg higher than my actual

#10 ·
I got 550 and the light still hadn't come on,but at the moment I'm doing 69 miles on motorway twice a day [:)]
FFS what are you putting in your tank! I'm needing some of that! lol

I got rid of my punto (mainly cos i had it 7 years) cos it weren't economical, but it works out to be about the same 100 miles per ?10 (unleaded though), it's just a good job this golf is a dream to drive than the old bone rattler! lol

#11 ·
FFS what are you putting in your tank! I'm needing some of that! lol

I got rid of my punto (mainly cos i had it 7 years) cos it weren't economical, but it works out to be about the same 100 miles per ?10 (unleaded though), it's just a good job this golf is a dream to drive than the old bone rattler! lol
It all depends what type of driving you do, if i drive without taking it over 2000rpm, n 70mph on the motorway, i can get high 50's, but if i drive like i normally do, i get 45ish.

#12 ·
Mine varies from anything between 430, to 470 miles per tank before the light comes on to refuel.  I never do the vent thingy to get more fuel in, and the majority of my driving is non motorway.  I have had higher and lower figures.  I wouls say yours is about right.

#15 ·
CB1 - depends how hard you push it. I get around 500-550 to a tankful, combination of motorway, A-roads and bumbling around town.

Mine seems to do approximately 60mpg at a constant 60mph (but it's no fun!!), 55mpg at 70mph and 50mpg at 80mph so if you're doing between 80-90mph on the motorway, you're probably getting around 45mpg I'd guess. This is fairly normal. If you're not getting anywhere near those figures (try it tomorrow; reset the computer on the motorway and try it at those speeds) you might need to check your MAF (air flow sensor - search for previous topics on how to locate / clean / replace it).

100 miles to ?10 seems about right for mixed driving; don't forget a 1.2 Punto will do 40mpg anyway due to its piddly engine size, and I'd guess that was a while back when petrol was cheaper (i.e. ?10 diesel = 11 litres, ?10 petrol 2 years ago was probably 12-13 litres)...?

#17 ·
Make sure if you do fill it to the brim you use the first 100 miles before you leave it sitting otherwise the fuel may expand (with little room to do so) when the car is stood and cause problems, so my tip is only do this if you are going on a long journey straight after you fill up.

#22 ·
420 to 450 in the depths of winter (Santa Monicas, heated leather, winter pack, lights, rear windscreen) but this last tank with light mornings / nights and warmer weather I'm at 490 miles this morning with no fuel light as yet, same commute to work and weekend runabouts, no motorway work to speak of.

I expect in mild spring to get > 500 every tank, height of summer and climatronic on full I guess it will drop to below 500 again?

#25 ·
I used to get 450 miles every tank (pd115) on a daily 90 mile journey. Strangely, once my car passed approx. 60K miles I could easily do 550 to a tank.
You will have just run her in! [:)]

I get about 280-300 to a tank (no motorway just normal driving) so stop moaning the lot of you! If i do an all motorway trip, about 400. [:'(]

Still it is a fun 280 miles![:D]

#26 ·
My god I think this thread goes to prove the point that diesel really is the way forward.

only 450ish miles out of a tank
Only!! Lol. Try a usual 220-280 miles to a tank due to my lack of motorway driving and frequent short trips. My average MPG has never beaten 35.5MPG even if I try (and i'm talking 60mph in 5th for miles and miles of motorway!)

I need me one of these PD dervs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.