Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm thinking of buying a 5dr golf gti 1.8T.

How can you tell whether it has 125BHP or 150BHP?

Regards

Karwing

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, but engine covers are easy to change and probably just as consistent as rear badges. (Know what you're saying though)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What are you guys on about. If your after a 1.8T make sure the engine code is AGU or ARZ or AUM or AUQ.

You will find one of these combinations in the engine bay, under the boot floor, or on the registration document.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Hello all, I'm thinking of buying a 5dr golf gti 1.8T.

How can you tell whether it has 125BHP or 150BHP?

Regards

Karwing
its not possible to buy a 1.8T with less than 150bhp................the "T" signifies TURBO.

most 1.8 golf are turbo's.

it'll either be 150bhp or 180bhp (as standard)

the engine cover WILL be accurate from the factory, but yes, can be later changed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
...and i'm not being funny btw.

There are too many little things that can be changed and to an inexperienced buyer could mean distaster. Or putting his foot down on the way home in his new GTI and nothing happens.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hi GTiRacr - first of all welcome to the forum. You got lots of replies there and I am wondering if you got a bit confused. ZekeGTI's post was probably the most accurate in terms of checking the engine code. Craig_C correctly thinks that you should take anyone you know that knows more about Golfs than you might do (assuming you know little about them). My suggestion is to call VW Customer Care (0800 711811) and ask them for a Golf brochure pertaining to the year of the car you are looking at. If they can't send you an original, they will very likely send you a photocopy and in it will show you most, if not all, of the differences between the Turbo GTI (ie 150bhp, or 180bhp) and the non-turbo GTI's (125bhp and 115bhp).

~ Maxie

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
its not possible to buy a 1.8T with less than 150bhp................the "T" signifies TURBO.
No GTIRacr is talking about making sure he gets the right model if the rear badge says GTI
read his post...........he says he wants to buy a 1.8T........no where mentioned is the badge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello all, thnx for the welcome and the replies!

I am going to manchester on fri hopefully and need to know as much to know about a golf 1.8T as poss. I.e probs and what to look out for?
I dont know much about golfs if anything, i know what the basics are of buying a car.....

So as long as the car has a turbo then it will be the 150BHP model right? Or checking the engine codes?

Thnx all :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
What are you guys on about. If your after a 1.8T make sure the engine code is AGU or ARZ or AUM or AUQ.

You will find one of these combinations in the engine bay, under the boot floor, or on the registration document.
Agreed. If you want a Turbo make a note of the engine codes 'zekegti' has posted when you view the car

Ask for the registration document, look in the vehicle details section and it will have :-

D.2 model/type Golf GTI Turbo

Varriant SCAUMX01 (thats what mine says)

Further down is

P.5 Engine Number AUM294671

Obviously the TURBO bit is a give away, but also the engine code is there as you can see mine is AUM

HTH

Carl

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
couldnt you just quote the reg number on an insurance site and see what
the engine spec of the car is, most easiest way if you don't know a lot
about golf gti's

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hello all, thnx for the welcome and the replies!

I am going to manchester on fri hopefully and need to know as much to know about a golf 1.8T as poss. I.e probs and what to look out for?
I dont know much about golfs if anything, i know what the basics are of buying a car.....

So as long as the car has a turbo then it will be the 150BHP model right? Or checking the engine codes?

Thnx all :)
If it has a turbo (lift the engine, in front of the engine cover towards yourself will be a big silver metal thing, thats the turbo) and has 5 gears then it is a 1.8T 150bhp.

If it has a turbo and 6 gears it is a 1.8T 180bhp

Both of the above models have got to be petrol models for this to be true as the diesels have turbos too and can be badged GTI, though I'm sure you know the difference between a diesel and a petrol!

If it's a 1.8 with no turbo it is a 125bhp model.

If its a 2.0 labelled as GTI (will say 2.0 on the engine cover, no turbo) then it is 115bhp.

There are not that many 1.8's around without the turbo's though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok thnx mate.

Can anyone advise me on what to look out for when buyin a 1.8T baby? Is a 1999 T with 49000m in immaculate condition bar a sticky sunroof good for ?3925?

Thnx

Karwing

1 - 20 of 30 Posts