Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to tint my windows, but I don't feel like I can do it myself, trying to stick down a film would be too tricky. Paying for someone to do it is too expensive. The only alternative I can think of is picking up some second hand windows that are already tinted, but I'm guessing fitting those wouldn't be easy either!

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to tint windows easily and cheaply?

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
Trust me on this one,try to do it yourself and the cost in ruined tint film will exceed the cost of getting it done professionally by a factor of at least 2

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
+ replacing/swapping the rear window will cost you around £40 alone and you will most probably get tiny scratches on edge of glass. Can try DIY but its a skill.

I watched while I got my back window tinted he made it look easy but am sure the dude had enough practice.

Pay 2 get it done unless you want 2 learn and spend more or don't mind lots of bubbles

·
Jamesy
4,772 Posts
i payed 220.00 for mine to be tinted professionally all round by a guy who tints the range rovers. Your seriously better off getting someone professional to do it and use decent film mate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was hoping there was some other way I haven't found yet, like a spray or something, but I guess not? I don't want to spend much as I'm going to sell the car in about 6 months, once I've got a bit of use out of it after doing it up.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
[quote user="ja17m35"]

i payed 220.00 for mine to be tinted professionally all round by a guy who tints the range rovers. Your seriously better off getting someone professional to do it and use decent film mate.

[/quote]

I've learnt that the cars people work on has NO reflection of anyones talent.

Everyones right though just get them done professionally

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I got mine done from a place in Hayes, West London. I think i paid £100 for the rears, i thought that was cheap and the workmanship is excellent! He'd done a good job.

Get someone to do it for you. A professional!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
[quote user="HenrysMk4"]

I was hoping there was some other way I haven't found yet, like a spray or something, but I guess not? I don't want to spend much as I'm going to sell the car in about 6 months, once I've got a bit of use out of it after doing it up.

[/quote]

If your going to sell it wouldnt bother tinting the windows. You will cut the market down for buying it when you come to sell it IMO

·
SMUJ
5,139 Posts
STOP!

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE ABOVE

DO IT YOURSELF... WE ALL NEED A GOOD LAUGH...

No seriously though, somepeople hate tinted windows especially the
if you are selling i wouldn't bother.

But if you do please let us see some pics

·
Registered
88 Posts
I wrap cars for a living (in between doing IT), and have had a go at tinting my own cars & a few friends.

I only tinted mine as I have a young son, and I think it looked a million times better than the stick on blinds...

The side windows are a very easy "home" install (easier on a 3 door), but the rear screen on a Mk4 is renowned for being awkward (professional trainers use it to train on - if you can tint a Mk4 rear screen, you cam do anything !).

·
Jamesy
4,772 Posts
To be honest tinted windows is a no go on forums like this it just makes people grab the opportunity for a argument but yea if your selling up i wouldn't bother.

Oh and h.i.d kits don't get started on those either

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
The ghetto method used to involve holding the glass over a smoking candle and then spraying clear lacquer over the top of it,this is where the term "smoked glass" came from.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is what I was wondering, is there a spray on tint that won't completely mess up the windows? :p I've never seen it done and it would probably still be a bit tricky, but not that much tricker then say tint spraying your rear lights? If each coat is very thin, with little affect? No idea though, I'll either try and find someone who can do it for under £100 or just not bother, probably the later.

And yeh, regarding HID's
Unfortunately I have to view that as a no-no, I've read in too many places now that you need projector housing, not stock housing and as I don't want to blind other drivers and also want to pass my MOT, I'm not getting them, even though I would love it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
[quote user="Imagewerx"]

The ghetto method used to involve holding the glass over a smoking candle and then spraying clear lacquer over the top of it,this is where the term "smoked glass" came from.

[/quote]

retro baby

·
Super Moderator
50,215 Posts
[quote user="timbomfg"]

Yeah i was joking. I have a personal vendetta against window tints since getting driven into buy some little pillock driving a beemer with like 80% tints up front.

[/quote]

80% is standard Tim and is light,I guess you mean 20% which is dark?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
lol @ spraying your windows. seriously if you are planning to sell the car in 6 months wouldn't bother you'll cut the market down for selling and probably lose value plus whatever your spending on it. It's just waste of your time really imo, sorry to be blunt

Wouldn't have bothered tinting mine but the previous owner had it done, looks much better than i expected, think suits black cars. if You get it done right

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.