Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with the noise you can get from the starter motor, a sort of squeak/groan when starting the engine. I had it on my old 1.6 and even with a new starter motor, have it on my 1.8! Is there anyway to stop it?

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
I read a thread about it being caused by a build up of clutch dust preventing it from fully disengaging. The chap removed it and cleaned it up to stop it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My mistake, in my n00biness I (for some reason) was looking at the alternator (which is new) and was thinking of it like it was a starter motor. The previous owner had replaced it, but also with a secondhand one.

Briefly looking on EBay the prices there are around £50, so I'm guessing dealer is about £70 or more? Bit much for a squeak really...

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
Mine does it, apart from the crappy noise, is there much harm (other than to the stater, which is besides the point) that can happen?
That's the stance I have. Only thing that bugs me is if it is damaging other parts, if its not then when it does break ill buy a new one. I'd have to do it now or later anyway, might aswell save the money
The squealing is the starter bendix not disengaging as the engine starts, spinning the starter about 5-6 times the speed it's meant to operate at. This mostly does damage to the starter but can also cause damage to the ring gear on the flywheel. Dealt with a lot of these starters squealing, but only one that ended up tearing teeth off the ring gear.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
What's actually causing the problem? Is it possible to both replace the motor AND stop the same problem happening again?
Clutch dust gets into the nose casing/planetary gearset of the starter motor and causes the bendix mechanism to stick and stay engaged with the flywheel ring gear longer than it should.

Not aware of any be-all end-all fix for this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Clutch dust gets into the nose casing/planetary gearset of the starter motor and causes the bendix mechanism to stick and stay engaged with the flywheel ring gear longer than it should.

Not aware of any be-all end-all fix for this.
You know your stuff! All I really heard was "dust gets in and makes it stick"

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It's amazing that vw don't do something about this really, I do wonder, if it's dust that's getting into it then there must surely be a way to prevent that and extend the starters life, some kind of protective cover? This probably sounds daft but I also suffer the squeal more often than not and although It doesn't really bother me it would be nice to know a fix that works indefinitely

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
It's amazing that vw don't do something about this really, I do wonder, if it's dust that's getting into it then there must surely be a way to prevent that and extend the starters life, some kind of protective cover? This probably sounds daft but I also suffer the squeal more often than not and although It doesn't really bother me it would be nice to know a fix that works indefinitely
It's not amazing when the mark 4 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past it's sell by date.It's now ten years since production ended,so they're not obliged to make ANY spares for it any more.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.