Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For reasons that I won't go into as its a long story, had the car in for a service at the Stealers. It's a 99 Golf Gti 1.8t, 70k service and I needed a courtesy car. Just had them on the phone to confirm final bill ..... wait for it ...... ?1454 inc VAT WTF, knew it would be expensive but I think that's just taking the pish.

So come on then, what's the most you've paid for a service???

·
Registered
464 Posts
?1.4K for a service!!!! That is incredible. What the hell is that for?!?!

That makes a TVR service seem reasonable!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote: posted by Felix on 09/12/2004 15:54:10

?1.4K for a service!!!! That is incredible. What the hell is that for?!?!

That makes a TVR service seem reasonable!

I'll tell you when I get back and will try and scan the bill tomorrow, just going to pick it up now ...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Did you have any idea it was going to be that much? what would happen if you couldnt pay it? if they quoted you say ?600 and hit you with this bill or did work you never asked for or they didnt check with you id be concerned.

·
Registered
304 Posts
?1.4K robbing Self Humiliationers........ Did they re-build half the car ? I bet they ave stung you totally on the labour......

(im glad for the swear filter, but not at times like this)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hmmm ..sounds familiar...I shelled out ?500 at Wayside last month. Standard 40k service and they found a few things wrong - corroded ignition coil, exhaust box clip...bit of a shock considering I was quoted ?290. Oh and they never include VAT on quotes - which was another little surprise.

s[!]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well got the car back, and got to be said it feels like new, which for ?1450 is what I would have expected. Total parts came to ?750, rest was labour and VAT, work done was Brake Discs and pads allround, rear calliper, power steering pipe, rear brake pipe, new windscreen linkage thingamebob and a bulb. They also seem to have done work on the clutch and gear box as these are a lot smoother. However they didn't even list the price of each component just a sub total, which I'm not happy about and told them I want individual pricing.

To make matters worse, went to start the car and service oil flashed up at me ... back to the workshop, then got home and checked the service stamp in my book ... not stamped.

I knew it needed the brakes doing, gave them authorisation to change pads and discs but didn't know the cost, suppose I should have checked. The other things cropt up seemingly when doing the service.

So I guess the Audi Avant that I had been saving for is out the window, and I'll have to keep this one for another, or until it needs another service.

Anyway, there's people out there with worse troubles than mine ... just looking forward to Chrimbo now

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
booked my 2001 T in for a 70k this saturday and was told its just an oil change and would cost 70 quid! think its a typo mate! they should call you before carrying out major work...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
ahhh just read your last post sorry... geeesss 1400 quid! you could of had Porsche brakes and a service at AmD for that much! outch!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
thats proper harsh! I had new rears discs, pads and a brake pipe done yesterday!

?21.61 for the pads (4)

?25 per disc

total inc labout, but not VAT, ?166.11

Pipe cost about ?9.47

inc labour, not vat, ?72.47! imo, they broke the pipe when taking off the caliper!

hope these give u an idea of the cost breakdown!

·
Registered
682 Posts
How much!!!! Mate,thats crazy money. Could they even look you in the eye when they gave you the bill? Hope they gave the car a clean as well!

·
Registered
682 Posts
How much!!!! Mate,thats crazy money. Could they even look you in the eye when they gave you the bill? Hope they gave the car a clean as well!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts