Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking around for some new spark plugs and came across these ones, Hotwire Nology spark plugs. They were reviewed in April's issue of PVW. Apparently beause of a built in capacitor, they are meant to produce upto 300 times more spark than standard.

Posted Image

this is how one site described the spark plugs "...This revolutionary design allows energy from the ignition coil to accumulate in the capacitor until the voltage at the spark plug electrodes reaches the ionization point. At that split second point the entire power of the stored spark is discharged at once, creating a spark 300 times more powerful. The result is faster, more complete combustion, and most importantly, more horsepower..."

Has anyone tried them ?

from what i know there are only 2 suppliers at the moment, Tuningwerkes in london and surrry.

·
Registered
354 Posts
300 times more spark!!! Measured on what basis other than some marketing wimps dreams. More horsepower, nope more horseshite.

A capacitor that charges and discharges how many times a second?? You probably need the Nology to understand the bullshite they're spouting.

They might be good, but when they make ludicrous claims it sort of cheapens the whole thing.

Sparkplugs, who needs them? ;-)

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ooookkkaayyyy.....

someone's got a grudge. I get you when you say the company is making big claims but the same way you're saying 'based on what?'... what are you basing your judgement by? have you tried them?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why would I try spark plugs in my diesel?

So you actually believe this stuff?

What does 300 times more spark mean? How do they measure it? Current? Voltage? Brightness? Sparkiness? Wishful thinking? I vote the last one.

More horsepower? Based on what premise? You're existing plugs are shot? Yep probably in that case. If you're using good Bosch or NGKs or whatever, how the heck do you measure hp increases that small, no rolling road will do it, even if they did give any increase at all. Which I seriously doubt.

Ask some sensible questions. Are you going to buy a set and think 'Wow, they must be making the car faster I've just spent ?50 on a set of plugs!!'

This is PURE marketing hype, as I said, they may be good, but not on the basis of their marketing claims.

If they produced some sensible comparison data, it would be worth looking into.

Try a set, get a before and after RR done, let us know, I'm fascinated.

Rate these plugs alongside dump valves for diesels as one of my favourite targets for abuse.

Mokeylock, I'm not getting at you, honest, its the muppets that sell the plugs, if they're good, they should be able to tell you how good. And if they are that good, they deserve to sell like hotcakes.

This was a broadcast by the campaign for REAL facts.

·
Registered
658 Posts
We have ran 3 cars on our rolling road fitted with these and all lost power from standard.

We replaced 2 sets ith standard and as much as 6hp better with stock plugs fitted.

I am sure they have a purpose but beelive this is track and not road ?

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have ran 3 cars on our rolling road fitted with these and all lost power from standard.

We replaced 2 sets ith standard and as much as 6hp better with stock plugs fitted.

Jayson

I'm sure thay have a purpose, but its more to do with making money than anything!

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so basically they are crap, and you guys are very confident of that?... I shouldn't look into it any further?

·
Registered
658 Posts

Jayson

I'm sure thay have a purpose, but its more to do with making money than anything!
I think your more to the point than me mate :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
This reminds me of when "Splitfire" plugs were marketed, it was only a couple of months before people were removing them, then they were known as "Miss-Fires" [:)]

Chris

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This reminds me of when "Splitfire" plugs were marketed, it was only a couple of months before people were removing them, then they were known as "Miss-Fires" [:)]

Chris
dame! ok not gonna go for them for sure now. Anyone know what's the best sparkplug around?

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know this is an old post but if the Nology spark plugs are so bad, why has AMD just started to supply them???

http://www.amdtechnik.com/news.read.cfm?articleid=26

"50% more spark for your money AMD is proud to announce that we now supply the entire Nology product range. Nology built up a hugely successful brand name marketing and selling their products in the USA for all types of high performance engines...."

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Buy them if you like, it's your money but you've had numerous people on here tell you they are not worth being paid to use.

I wouldn't go near something like that on my car. As above, if you'd ever been into older cars you'd know about 'splitfire' plugs.

Ask yourself, if the plug techonology was so good, why are they not standard fit by manufacturers? Save your money and buy something that will enhance your engine's performance. Don't believe the adverts all the time!

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
man, why do i get a weird vibe from every reply on this post? i'm just curious, i dont want these dame plugs, i've already got the oem ones and happy with them... i'm just always curious about new things that come out, and with this product everybody's been saying bad things but without much basis (apart from the dude who actually tried them). But i'm curious cause AMD seem to be happy with them and i'm thinking maybe just maybe they are good and the car had another problem when the guy tried them.

anyway, if nobody's gotten them from AMD i'm not really after your openion, i'll agree from now with you guys, they are crap, why? i dont know, just cause everybody says so, but that's not gonna get me to stop asking and i'm not gonna splash my money on something i haven't done research on so please stop saying "buy it if u want"... that's neither here or there (sorry!), not helpful if u know what i mean

·
Registered
360 Posts
Look more like HT leads to me, not plugs... and the capacitor idea has been done before (was it magnicore - I forget), all the tests ever done on a RR proved no performance increase..

Had a quick google, and this came up... this guy certainly isnt impressed, and it seems the leads have been about since 2002

http://iwcweb.com/eclipse/html/warning.html

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts