Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comes into effect in Thames Water region on 3rd April [:'(]

Any tips on getting the grime off in a drought???? or is it just buy more buckets time???

·
Registered
521 Posts
Alx, Welcome to the south!

I have had a ban since last summer....so buckets it is, which in some ways is daft, as I think you can rinse a car down obviously quicker with a hose, but using less water as well. Just don't leave it running all the time.

Buckets might be awkward soon, especially if they actually prevent you using water for non essential things. Maybe they should use a helicopter shortly to check out peoples back gardens for perfectly green lawns etc.....then do those people!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Makes you wonder how long before we will be forced to wash our cars in grey water from your bath etc. Hook your hose pipe up to a Hipo water pump dunk it in your bath and off you go. Be a good excuse the fill the tub to the overflow each time.

Time for a National Grid for Water.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Paul, you will have to change you username in a few months then...to GTI Jazz Mucky or something....

john
John it already is, I moved house last Novemeber and have spent most of my weekends doing all those little DIY jobs. I think the cars have been washed 4 times since the end of November.

Mind we haven't got a ban currently in our area, but I don't think it'll be long.

We don't even have a bath in our new place only showers, so no washing the car using bath water for me. I suppose I could empty the hottub but that has a few chemicals in it.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Comes into effect in Thames Water region on 3rd April [:'(]

Any tips on getting the grime off in a drought???? or is it just buy more buckets time???
THink yourself lucky mate.. we have had a hosepipe and sprinkler ban since last summer and it's never been lifted. I prefer to use buckets anyway. They should definitely ban the sale of sprinklers though, terribly wasteful on water. If people just used a few watering cans and watered in the late evening they could cut down on wasteage so much, but as usual people can't be bothered !

Anyway.. back on topic.. if I have to I will catch the shower water in the bath come the summer and pipe it into a water butt to be used on the garden and car. Hope it doesn't come to that.. but it's looking standpipes are a distinct possibility (sp?) ! [:S]

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Which is why we need a National Grid for water, pipe the water down from up North. That or de-salination plants on the South Coast to produce water.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't mind if the Water bill went down because I'm using less!

Anyway I remember when this was last discussed, the following item was mentioned as a possibility:

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgscripts/detail.dll?item=512699&tpl=uk&sc=&cc=&frames=y&from=&navlist=512699*554121*553655*515295*553702*419660*822200*420144*419452*517344*553739*420149*822056*553531*420002*821875

It looks a bit expensive for what it is and I?m not sure of its ?Sheeting? capabilities for hosing off Autoglym Autogloss Rinse?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Which is why we need a National Grid for water, pipe the water down from up North. That or de-salination plants on the South Coast to produce water.
Quite agree with you about the desalination plants paul.. surely this could contribute quite a bit to the water problems.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
bugger it use ya hosepipe lo doubt ull b caught by whoever deals with it lol
This is it, surely it should be a hosepipe ban from the mains, you should be able to use a hose pipe to transport grey water.

I will need to drain my central heating this summer to sort out few weaping rad valves and flush it, now I will need to use a hose pipe to do that. So I do hope a nosey neighbour doesn't report me to the hosepipe police [:(]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
bugger it use ya hosepipe lo doubt ull b caught by whoever deals with it lol
This is it, surely it should be a hosepipe ban from the mains, you should be able to use a hose pipe to transport grey water.

I will need to drain my central heating this summer to sort out few weaping rad valves and flush it, now I will need to use a hose pipe to do that. So I do hope a nosey neighbour doesn't report me to the hosepipe police [:(]
Can't you drain it into the back garden ? Our plumber did that when he put in, our new boiler on saturday. Just drained it into the drain outside via the hosepipe. can't believe how hot our water is now.. with a brand new boiler.. it's brill [:D]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like its going to be buckets then, until they put a bucket ban in force as well!

Why is it that they always announce water shortages when its raining outside?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think that part of the answer is to collect the rain water that runs off the roof. That may sound a bit daft if they're talking about a drought but the point is to start collecting from now then you'll have a supply when things get worse in the summer.

When I lived overseas, I installed 2 x 200 gallon talks and it was amazing how quickly they filled up. I used the water for irrigation all the time and for washing the car when there was a drought. Since I installed it in 2000, the tanks have never run dry. You'll need to filter it to get rid of all the crap that runs off the roof with the water but that's not a big deal.

In the UK, small kits start as low as ?30 but you may want to add aditional tanks to increase the storage capacity to something more useful.

http://www.getcompostingcom.az-tech-e.com/bc/index2.htm

http://www.gonegardening.com/xq/ASP/dept_id.5039/referer./qx/gg_shop/dept.htm

1 - 20 of 36 Posts