Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car in saturday to have all 4 tyres replaced and the tracking done as it was out slightly.

Had some half decent tyres ordered in specially (Pirelli P6000's)

Basically it took them 2 hours to complete the job, they jacked the car up somewhere on the middle of the sill, Luckily I cant see any damage.

They only balanced the front two wheels, I asked the guy at the desk and he assured me all 4 wheels are balanced, i watched thru the viewing window, While my front wheel was sat on the balancing machine the rear tyre as replaced and then put back on the car (they only have one balancing machine) Ok, I know that balancing the rears isnt that important, But what if i wanted to swap them to the front, I have to pay for them to be re-balanced?

They did the wheels bolts up with an airgun, Didnt even bother with a torque wrench.

Oh and the tracking is worse than when they started.

Honestly though, these people do this day in day out, How hard can it be? It wasn't a chain type garage its just a cheap local tyre place. I should have been a bit dubious after they failed the 760i for the indicator bulbs not being orange enough a few weeks ago.

Had to vent a bit before I go down there, It annoys me I have to take my car back to these places twice at least to get the tracking done right.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I bet they charged you for balancing all four wheels. Not torquing up wheels is unforgivable. You can't trust an air gun on that sort of thing. If the hubs are lightly rusted the wheel won't pull on properly and you dont really notice till you torque them up. Not to mention they could overtighten them! Presumably you have locking wheel nuts which should never be tightened with a air gun.

Tracking isn't difficult. Find another garage matey, they obviously have no respect for their customers.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could only see the passenger side being done from the viewing area.

But all 5 botls were done up (Including the locking bolt) with the air gun and the covers slapped back on the bolts.

Re the tracking, I would like to find another garage but after paying someone ?20 to do it im a bit pissed to say the least.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Campbells at Marske for the Tyres and tracking.

I trust North Eastern Tyres less due to numerous mistakes.

As for 4 Wheel alignment, Campbells have this, Doesnt mean the chimp who was operating it can use it properly.

only the front wheels are alignable anyhow, Surely they use the rears as the guide for tracking the front?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes, I think rears are used as a guide with the laser tracking machines.

NET+E did the tracking on my wifes Polo and it's been fine. I too have
been the victim of errors at other times, although it has to be said
that they were to do with exhausts. Haven't had the tracking done that
often so I can't really offer any other local recommendations. There
used to be a good place on Skippers Lane, but they seem to have gone
now.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The rears are used as a guide to set the steering wheel position, ie you adjust the track rod ends so when the wheel is straight the wheels are pointing straight. Then the fronts are adjusted to get the toe in / toe out.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earliest they could fit me in was next week to "Check" to see if it was out of alignment. He said it would take an hour to check the alignment (Which is BS) so I just took it elsewhere, the camber was off the scale almost. Got a printout of this so I can claim my money back off the other company.

Going to write a letter today asking for a refund on the tracking and wheel balancing they never did, with the tracking results and invoices, See what happens. Certainly wont use them again, Even if they are one of the cheapest suppliers.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Nothing surprises me, the recent trouble I had with my new wheels was a disgrace.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.
Did you manage to get it changed?
Yes I did thanks. When the tyre was off I got hold of one of their tyre levers and it matched the damage perfect, even then they wouldn't cough to causing the damage. So if anyone ever goes to Motor Sport Wheels in Stockport I suggest the following....

1. Check all the wheels nuts are tightened up. I got home to find one of the lockers missing, it was found on the car park outside MSW.

2. If you ask one of the fitters to place a smear of grease on the mounting face to stop the alloy binding, stand over them while they do it. The fool who fitted my wheel sprayed copper grease all over the brake disc.

3. Prior to driving away check the rims aren't damaged as once you've driven away you'll find it impossible to get them to admit it was caused by one of the fitters.

Needless to say I won't be bothering MSW again, all my business will be with Pemberton Tyres from now on.

We live and learn.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Balancing the rear tyres is important as you may not get the vibration through the steering wheel, you'll get it through your seat instead. The wobble through any unbalanced wheel will put unnecessary stress on your shocks.

Good job you kept an eye on them.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Im afraid pretty much tyre/exhaust fitting places are poor , and take no pride in cars. We`ve had alsorts of inspections in that have just had tyres fitted, one guys hub was distorted due to way-overtightened wheel bolts,and the car owner took the case to court. . Luckily for me as im in the trade, the place i take my car to for balancing etc, treat my car with respect as they know our company are perfectionists and if they did anything wrong theyd loose our business.

I suppose before you hand you`re keys over, just mention..."so yeah , you will torque up my wheels blah blah blah"just try and act like you know what you are talking about,then that way they will get it in their mind that you will check it once you get it back,thus making them do the job properly .At the end of the day, they try to do as much work as quick as possible, but who else can you go to?

·
Registered
2 Posts
u are all jokeing right. ever heard of the camber. thats the part where the back and front wheels can be adjusted on some, not all cars. campbells cannot detect if the camber is out where as N.E.T.E can tell you if there is a slight wobble on your wheels.

This is becouse campbells spent 3000 pounds on there tracking gear and N.E.T.E spend 60.000 pounds on theres.

yes there may be the odd times where your track rod end nuts are ceased and the stearing wheel clamp moves so as to make the end tracking out. but all in all its very unlikely N.E.T.E make a real bad mistake. if the stearing clamps move on the tracking gear that campbells have you would never know. but with N.E.T.E its all on a monitor so the tech can see the movement of all 4 wheels.

lets put it more simple. most of the main dealers use N.E.T.E to track there cars becouse even thay wont pay 60.000 for the machine.

oh and one last thing all N.E.T.E technitions have to use a talk wrench to tighten your wheel nuts to the manufacturer specifications. Anyone found useing a air gun to tighten the wheels on any car gets the sack!.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
It annoys the life out of me when wheelnuts are done up with an airgun, how on earth are you supposed to get them off if you get a flat tyre?

wheels nuts DONT need to be that tight!

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
[[:(] sorry to hear of the bad news pal.

It is actually amazing how 'loose' wheel nuts need to be. They only get torqued up to 120nm which isnt tight at all. I had a new tyre fitted the other week or 2 back and they were done up with a windy gun, on steel wheels so not really fussed, but out of interest i thought id measure what torque they were up to. It was something like 230nm before the wrench stopped clicking.

·
Banned
7,104 Posts
[
sorry to hear of the bad news pal.

It is actually amazing how 'loose' wheel nuts need to be. They only get torqued up to 120nm which isnt tight at all. I had a new tyre fitted the other week or 2 back and they were done up with a windy gun, on steel wheels so not really fussed, but out of interest i thought id measure what torque they were up to. It was something like 230nm before the wrench stopped clicking.
I just do them until they "nip" with a 24 inch breaker bar which is normally 130nm ish

some cars ive had to pull the breaker bar with both hands to get them off, stupid.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy old thread Batman, p.s North Eastern Tyre and Exhaust are still an utter disgrace, you don't offer "wheel alighnment" you turn nuts on trackrod ends

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
[
sorry to hear of the bad news pal.

I just do them until they "nip" with a 24 inch breaker bar which is normally 130nm ish

some cars ive had to pull the breaker bar with both hands to get them off, stupid.
thats about right. Its a bit more than a nip for me but I aint the strongest.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
At work we always take the locking wheel nuts of by hand..we only nip the wheel nuts up with a air gun then torque them up..Glad you got it sorted Cyrix...i was going to suggest have a drive to my garage on sat and i will sort out thier mess..its garages like these's that give honest and caring garages a bad name...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts