Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered what opinion on it was from here...

My dad's decided to go Jap, just ordered a new CR-V in cosmic grey, manual petrol 2.0l i-VTEC engine, full black leather interior, sat nav, cd, air con & electric sunroof, etc etc

~150bhp, ~140ft/lb, ~31mpg

I'll not give my opinion on it (not had a look at one yet even), but needless to say sad we won't be all German any more [:(]

(Currently he has an E300 turbodiesel and a BMW R1100 Sport, I've got my Golf & my mother has a 1.4 Polo)

Anyway, discuss...

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I dont mind Jap cars, and Hondas really do surpass German cars in all departments apart from Torque there levels of build quality are very very suprising and service levels off dealers are a shock to the syem after "most" german dealers

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The new CRV is a very good car! he shouldnt have any bother with it, only issue`s that spring to mind are noisy rear diff`s which has been an ongoing problem for years now with them.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points, both of you. I still think he's a twonk for getting rid of the Merc & moving out of the German stable (but then I might be slightly biased [;)]), and especially for getting a 4x4. But then, it's not much bigger than his current car (engine size is smaller, I think).

One thing I do like about it is it has toys! I'll probably only be in the thing once, but we're all going on holiday together next year (God help us all!!) and facing an X hour drive to Southampton. The back seats are pretty cool though, they're independently adjustable, forward & back and tilt [^]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Not keen on Jeep style vehicles, but having said that a CRV will be a good buy for him. I know 2 people with them and they both love them. Honda's are ace. I have had 2 and would love another one!!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Quote: posted by EddyH on 19/11/2004 11:51:07

We have an old shape CRV at work and on the occasions that I've drove it I've been impressed. It's actually pretty quick too.

New CRV`s are quicker [^] new ones have I-VTEC with long/short port injection, high/low lift cam and a vari angle intake cam [;)]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it's arrived - been here a couple of weeks now and despite my expectations, I have to say I do actually like it.

It does help that it's not as big as I anticipated (although feels enormous on the inside), and having gone for the top spec trim (SE Executive I think it is), its got nice little touches, like a mini coolbox in the centre console.

So here are some pics, and yes it was raining!

The old and the new

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Couldn't be arsed opening it up, but its got full leather heated seats & individual armrests for driver & passenger, sat nav, etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is his favourite part of the car! (At ?500 optional extra, it should be [B)]:

Posted Image

Some gratuitous shots to get Golfy in

Posted Image

Posted Image

So overall he's pretty delighted with it and was out washing it just before I took these pics (and the rain came on)

AND for the first time in his life, at almost 50 years old, he's talking about 'customising' (modding to you and I [;)]) his car!

So I'm off to find some UK Honda forums that cater for CR-Vs as well as Civics [:eek:)]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nothing wrong with Japanese cars.

Currently have a Yaris (which is for sale if anyones interested [:)]), RX8 and Golf.

So far, Yaris just gets washed, serviced and filled with petrol. No hassles does exactly what it say on the tin (45 mpg)

RX8 - fabulous but wallet attention seeking (22 mpg)

Golf - early days but very nice (31 mpg).

AnilS.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Cat, the Honda is likely to be the most reliable car he's ever had....build quality and engines second almost to none.

If you can overcome the slightly bland styling and lack of soul then it'll be a winner!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your support in this difficult time guys [:eek:)]

For all those Jap lovers - It's a joke!!

It's just been used for pootling about atm until the E300 goes but the real test will be this holiday - think it's 7 hours or so to Southampton from here?

Not sure about 'most' reliable, as he's never had any problems with previous cars (BMW, Mercedes, Saab, Volvo, etc) - so hopefully this one should be the same. Mind you, he doesn't tend to keep cars very long so this might be the first to be put to the time test!

As for plans, well despite being the top of the range, it doesn't come with front fogs as standard?! There are just blanking plates in the bumper where they should go. He could have gotten them as an extra, but I think the rationale was pay for the running boards just now, as it'll be easier to justify fogs later on to my mother!

Also, the front valance is moulded black plastic the same as ours, but you can get an aluminium one which he likes the look of apparently ("meaner", or so he says).

And he took a liking to the aluminium trim I was waving under his nose the other week, so may well be in for some of that for the CR-V

Posted Image

1 - 18 of 18 Posts