Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon

I've just about finished my first DIY project of replacing our entire bathroom, plus the addition of an electric shower. All of the wiring from the shower to the fusebox is now in place and waiting to be connected up however my main 60A fuse now needs upgrading to a 100A one.

Because the electric meter and anything before that (the cable and main fuse) belongs to the electric company they are the ones to do this work rather than an electrician. On these parts there are metal clips too in order to show that no one else has tampered with the parts.

My electrical supplier is E-On, but the meter is owned by EDF, in turn I have had to obtain my quotation from UK Power Networks for the fuse upgrade, and this is where my issue lies. They came back with a price of £980! The description of work to be done is as follows:- "Replacement of a single phase cutout including materials; cut and rejoint existing service cable; replacement of the meter board and meter tails from cutout to meter (only if necessary); removal of the existing cutout to facilitate a 1ph 100amp service."

i feel a bit at the mercy of this company but is this quote normal?? Part of my annoyance is that I have priced up and planned the cost of doing that bathroom very carefully and my electric company did not mention that there would be a cost involved in doing this upgrade. Why should I pay if I am offering to set my house up to use More electric?!

I wanted to post this question on moneysupermarket but I'm having difficulties logging in to there. Can anyone give me some advice on this matter???

Here's hoping you can assist, many thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
ouch that's a bit steep :(

are you 100% sure that there is only a 60A in there at the moment..

and even if it is does it definitely need upgrading if you take discrimination into account?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the response, yes it's just a 60A in there at the moment, we've never had an electric shower in the house up until now. It's a 9.5kw shower and it's rated as using 40A so I guess I accept that the fuse definitely needs doing, it just baffles me a little that I don't own the meter or anything before it and yet I have to pay for this work!

·
oooo audi
4,721 Posts
ouch. also its a £1000 fine per wire seal cut so if 3 are cut its A 3K fine

afaik 60 will deff do an 8.5 shower but not sure on a 9.5 as that starts to require 10mm cable not the 6mm a 8.5 can run on.

by meter board do you mean the consumer unit as that can be around £500 on its own

·
Registered
292 Posts
Set the bugger on fire and hope they upgrade it when they replace it!
It does sound expensive for what it is!
I think the £980 is the most it will cost so should be cheaper. Sounds like they are covering their back with a quote for £980
How old is your house and meter?
I assume the problem is the cut-out, meter and meter tails are only rated to 60A?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there!

Thanks for the responses, yes it's 10mm cable running through the house for the shower, partly due to the shower's power rating and also due to the cable length going from the garage, up to the loft and back down in to the first floor bathroom.

I'm afraid I'll have to ask for clarification from the company as to what they mean by cutout and meter board as that's the most detail provided on the quote.

I'm not sure of the exact age of the house, 70's I'm guessing, but in the 26 years that I've lived here the electric meter has never been replaced. I agree with what you mentioned, the meter is probably designed for 60A and not more, which is why it's included in the quote.

Tomorrow I'm going to call UK Power Networks to discuss this, so I'll let you know how I get on. I think I'll call E-On also and see what they have to say, I'll probably just be blunt with them and request they pay as I'm going to use more electric if and when I get this upgrade done.

Thanks again for your input it's really appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Problem is you don't know if the supply to your house can handle 100 amps so changing the 60 to 100 is something they got you by the balls by. That price seems very high though

Remember your shower is never drawing Max current (unless you love having high pressure Max heat showers for long periods) and unless you have a lot of other high current appliances running at the same time that 60a fuse (which will blow more likely around the 80s after some time drawing that) will never go

To be honest I'd just leave it and if it blows complain. All your other protective devices (i assume you/ your electrician has been generous with the RCDs) will have tripped long before your supply fuse has decided to go

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Most showers have one clod setting and two heat settings along with a variable dial which alters water pressure. Higher flow - cooler shower, lower flow - hotter shower.
When the second heat setting (or maximum) is s elected then the shower draws maximum current irrelevant of the position of the variable flow dial.
Also, a BS1361 60A fuse would laugh at a loading of 80A. It would take around an hour to blow with a loading of around 110A.

I hope you notified your work to Building Control!

·
Registered
150 Posts
what im getting at is that how often do you use the shower and say the cooker (presuming its electric) at the same time..?

and even if you did like GaryM said the cut out fuse would just sit there without a care in the world.. as long as your tails and consumer unit are up to the job just stick it in and off you go.. like you say anything before the meter or even the C/U is the suppliers so let them deal with it

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
there are not many houses that dont have a 100A supply...BTW im a spark and would not be in the least bit surprised at that quote. they will provide you with a new cut out box which goes before the supply and will contain the 100A breaker or worse still a RCBO so you can have the pleasure of your electricity tripping willy nilly everytime a residual current makes it!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evening! Many thanks again for taking the time to give me some input on this. I rang both UK Power Networks and E-On regarding this, and got no where really with both other than being advised that if it doesn't end up needing the full amount of work then I will get a partial refund from that £980.

I had another look at my current electric meter and it's old! It does say below the moving dials and disc that it is for 40 amps max, which implies that it will almost definitely need replacing for something that is 100 amp capable. I overlooked to ask today but I will tomorrow but if I don't own the meter or the fuse or the supply wire then why should I pay for it's replacement, surely I should pay the labour at the most? I'll see what they advise on this tomorrow though.

Oh, MadMan, thanks for the advice on breakers and RCBO's, eventually when I get this done I will try to ensure that I get a breaker specifically. Good choice of wheels too, I picked up mine last month, they're a bit rough on the finish but I'll refurb them next winter.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
there are not many houses that dont have a 100A supply...BTW im a spark and would not be in the least bit surprised at that quote. they will provide you with a new cut out box which goes before the supply and will contain the 100A breaker or worse still a RCBO so you can have the pleasure of your electricity tripping willy nilly everytime a residual current makes it!
What do you mean by a cut-out box before the supply? The cut-out is at the end of the supply and normally contains a BS88 or a BS1361 fuse, not a 100A breaker or an RBCO unless it's something I've not seen.
I appreciate parts of Leeds will have TT supplies but generally the RCD requirements and earth rod are on the consumers side of the installation, not the suppliers (DNO).

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
i'd leave it, it will never blow unless theres a fault, even then don't hold yout breath!

and if it does, put one in yourself and deny all knowledge. they would have to be pretty on the ball to do you for breaking the seals and fine you, i've never heard of that happening. have broken plenty myself and if anything ever happened say you had to renew the main switch and quote the regs "under EAWR 1989 there should be no working live unless it is unreasonable to work dead"

·
TEAM 88 MOTORSPORT
8,901 Posts
What do you mean by a cut-out box before the supply? The cut-out is at the end of the supply and normally contains a BS88 or a BS1361 fuse, not a 100A breaker or an RBCO unless it's something I've not seen.
I appreciate parts of Leeds will have TT supplies but generally the RCD requirements and earth rod are on the consumers side of the installation, not the suppliers (DNO).
sorry Gary I did not explain that very well... I was referring to the double pole isolators (sometimes containing an RCD or RCBO) that are currently been installed between the meter and the consumer unit as part of any meter upgrades. Quite a lot of council houses in leeds have undergone this.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
who is signing off the initial work? And is building control involved.

Most of us "sparks" just change the fuse and cable as required "re seal" and no one ever knows !

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have never known of a sparks being done for cutting the seal on a supply head or meter.

Im a spark in the s/east and if the electricity board (EDF) see there has been a new CU and tails fitted they are not bothered about the seals.

Although I do carry a spare few in the tool box if needed.

As already stated your DIY work falls under Part P and will need checking and signing off by a registered sparks (which I am)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
And we do not sign off other people work , so if your not able to sign off your work or building control is not involved etc ? get ready for a world of pain !

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
Why don't you get a quote to do the same work by a local electrician? Sure, they can't do the work, but you can show the quote back to the metering company to show them how unreasonable their costs are and to negotiate for a better deal.

Wigster.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts