Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just returned from an Audi dealership and have reserved an S3

Small refundable deposit now, they send me the brochure and details at the end of the month and then call me in Oct/Nov to test drive it and spec it

They basically guaranteed me that they will offer me a top top price on my GTI which will (muchos thanks to Beadles) leave me with cash spare (ie. I should owe less than the value of the car) due to the spec of mine and the supposed clamour for used GTI's as well as the fact that they hold their value so well

Those that have yet to see it...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/audi_s3.asp

Some bits of the interior are (IMO) not as good as the GTI... ie. the centre console is muddly and the armrest is poor compared to Golf (IMO) but the general interior quality is top!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good choice!

These pictures do it alot more justice than others ive seen.

if your spec'ing it in Oct/Nov when will you actually get your hands on it? Bet it's going to seem like a long wait!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would arrive late Jan to early Feb to be picked up on March 1st on an 07!

Won't be bad at all as I have my GTI - love it to bits and theres nowt wrong with it really [:)] [:D] Just seems like a natural progression to move to that car [:D]

Just realised it's a year today since I ordered my GTI... collected it 1st March this year... now that was a long wait... I was driving a Pug 106 at the time lol

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
So you've gone from Pug 106 to MkV Golf GTI and now 07 Audi S3 in the space of 12 months!

Someone's doing alright then [;)]

Gotta say those pics have changed my view on the S3. Thought it was ugly but it's kinda growing on me, just like the Mk5 GTI did.

Hmmm....I can feel the urge to go speak to an Audi dealer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you've gone from Pug 106 to MkV Golf GTI and now 07 Audi S3 in the space of 12 months!

Someone's doing alright then [;)]

Gotta say those pics have changed my view on the S3. Thought it was ugly but it's kinda growing on me, just like the Mk5 GTI did.

Hmmm....I can feel the urge to go speak to an Audi dealer.
Well the 106 was a temporary car as I had a civic type r that i had to sell to purchase a house so i was using the 106 for a while then purchased me GTI [:D]

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Very nice choice! I'd take one of these over the MKV GTI or R32.

I have been watching one of the other 'new S3' threads on there and I can't believe people think it looks boring?? I personally think it looks fantastic and that interior is so much more classy than the GTI.

I owned the previous shape S3 and loved it...I think i've found my next car. Just need to wait 3 years and get a job closer to home!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do like the S3 interior BUT its not as well laid out as the GTI IMO... especially if you spec satnav which i intend to do... tight fks dont seem to give you the cd changer and armrest with it either as the cd changer is in the glovebox... GAY!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
How is the engine different to the GTI. Is it running a bigger turbo? and if so does the engine have different internals. Just thinking about a bigger turbo for the GTI in the future by using the S3 one if it is different.

oops just read this

The power plant of the S3 delivers all that is expected of a powerful sports engine, and does it supremely well. The 2.0 TFSI, which combines direct injection and turbocharger technology, delivers 265 bhp at 6,000 rpm. And at just 2,500 rpm it already musters up an impressive 258 lb-ft of torque ? this pulling power remains constant up to 5,000 rpm.

Compared with the A3, this engine is an advanced version which has undergone fundamental changes. The new turbocharger with its enlarged turbine and compressor rotor generates 1.2 bar of boost pressure ? an unusually high figure. A modified intercooler significantly lowers the temperature of the compressed air, thus increasing the air mass necessary for combustion.

Doesnt say if the internals are different though.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Yep, different turbo, stronger internals and a different intercooler too. Almost exactly the same differences between the 'old' K03s and K04 cars then.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Will it be the same spec engine as the new leon cupra or will that be the same as the GTI but with a factory remap?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had one on order last year - placed a deposit on the S3 for delivery in April-06. Of course, I was lied to by the audi dealership about when this car would be available - hence I cancelled and got my money back - then bought a GTI of course - as I had to change my TT by May-06.

The new S3 is so much the car I wanted - miles and miles ahead of the iffy looking R32. The GTI looks better than the S3 - but I'll resereve full judgement until I see the S3 in the flesh. Interior wise, the GTI's IMHO is fantastic to look at and use - but, the quality of the mkV golf is a few notches below audis and I suspect the new S3 will not have cheap plastics, rattles and poorly fitted panels - it's such a shame the gti is tainted by such rubbish materials and cost cutting by VW. Still, we love our gti's all the same... I've got a call into audi to see how practicible is would be to swap my new gti over for the S3 next year...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Looks very nice in the photo's, my concern would be the one I experienced going from a A3 TS to a TT, More power, but more Turbo lag, which in the real world feels slower. Audi claimed the TT had power from 2500 rpm but in real terms it was more like 3000 rpm. which was 1200 rpm higher than the A3.

Have you test driven the S3 Robbo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts