Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I moved into my new place I put on about 1.5 stone, which has shocked me, and I feel eurgh!

Trouble for me is, when I go shopping, nothing seems healthy, but I seem to walk past all the healthy stuff as I don't really know what it is. I know what pies are, chips, sausages, bread, ready meals, chinese and indian. I know I like it, I know where it is and I know how to cook it!

The knock on effect of many pies though is man boobs and I don't want man boobs!

So catching myself before its too late and I need a bra.

What I need from you guys is some kind of list of what food is packed full of nutrients and goodness. I enjoy fresh cod, tuna, I enjoy a bit of salad, like cous cous. However, I have never bought any of this. My freezer is packed full of ready meals, the pies, battered fish, chips and pizza's.

Going to tesco's after word to pick myself some fresh cod up. Will also pick up a steamer and some veg. Hopefully can cook everything in that.

I find healthy food real difficult though and in the end give up. I think I'm doing really well eating loads of Pasta. Then someone says its bad for me cus of carbs or something, so I move onto baked potatoes with tuna. Potatoes are bad for you. So I move onto salad sandwiches, breads bad for you. So in the end, give up and revert to pies, which I can take out of a box, and shove in the oven!

Need a list guys of nice, good for you food. I'm quite happy to plan lunches and dinners, so long as I know what to get to be able to do this in the first place. On my trip to tesco's tonight would like a decent trolley full (the smaller ones) of good, hearty food, and not one single pie.

Please help! I can't find the food if I don't know what it is!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and did the classic today. Went out bought some soup. So proud with myself. Showed a doc (they are always going on about what i eat!!) and she said thats great. 0.8g of fat in the whole tin! So I bought 2.

She then told me if I eat both tins and the bread I have filled my Calorie limit for the day, so don't eat those brown bread rolls I bought to go with it or have anything else.

This is what I can't grasp! 0.8g of fat per tin, lovely. But then knackered on the calories because of some brown rolls!! Whyyyyyy

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Try the wheetabix diet [:D] it worked for me i lost half a stone which was all i needed to loose as i wanted to get rid of a bit of fat and then start training again..

i had wheetabix in the mornin and wheetabix at night time.. mid day i had salad sandwiches from subway [:D]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
what the doc said seems a little ridiculous

at 12 stone doing a normal office job my body needs approx 2000 calories (if i remember rightly, haven't cone the sums for a while) a day

now i imagine you weigh more than that (from previous posts, etc...) so i can't imagine that the food you mention contains 2500+ calories

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try the wheetabix diet [:D] it worked for me i lost half a stone which was all i needed to loose as i wanted to get rid of a bit of fat and then start training again..

i had wheetabix in the mornin and wheetabix at night time.. mid day i had salad sandwiches from subway [:D]

Sat [y]
Is that one of those diets where you can eat as much as you like kinda thing (the weetabix). If I was limited to say 2, I'd be knackered! Would probably do it the other way round too. Weetabix for breaky and lunch and then a proper meal in the evening.

I do like weetabix though, so thanks for the suggestion. I will need lots of it I presume!

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
just remember, any food is healthy IN MODERATION!!!

diets which restrict your variety are BAD!!!

no carbs....means no body fuel

no fat...sounds great but a proper diet will contain 25-30% fat

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what the doc said seems a little ridiculous

at 12 stone doing a normal office job my body needs approx 2000 calories (if i remember rightly, haven't cone the sums for a while) a day

now i imagine you weigh more than that (from previous posts, etc...) so i can't imagine that the food you mention contains 2500+ calories
I weigh more than that yes. Think she was having a joke, but she did say that the bread was bad if I'm gonna cut down. But, she meant what she was saying about the calories. Just cus it dont have much fat, it don't mean that it's good for you. And this soup, does have a lot of calories, top that off with bread....

Like she said, it may be vegetable soup, dont mean it's good, especially with the bread. But that just leaves me thinking 'well what do I have then'!?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and I don't want to go on a diet as such. Just want to know which foods are more healthy so I can eat them in a normal way, then have the sausages, pies etc maybe once a week.

At the moment, it's literally crap every night. I think the healthiest thing I have is sultanas which I enjoy munching on. Are they healthy!?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok i think for you the best thing to start with would be a detox. Now trust me this is not a list of nasty food or rules that say you cant eat. i have done this for some time every 2 months or so as well as eating healthy and manage to maintain my weight.

So for the detox the key here is

VERY LITTLE CARBS: that is rice, potato, bread, pasta, pzza etc etc etc.

No fizzy drinks or coffee or tea (will explain later)

Stay away from red meat etc for a week or so

Lots of vegetables and fruit

lots of protein with low fat.

So here are the good things to eat: Chicken breasts (tesco healthy living ones) salmon, cod, tuna (fresh or tinned) vegetables (steamed is great and very easy to do) a small handful of nuts (not roasted or salted just plain nuts, like pine nuts) salads (mixed salads are best not so boring. Also cottage cheese is good as it is low in fat and very good for you as it is a special protien that is slow release. eggs are also good (boiled not fried) Drink loads of water. very very little salt just eat what is already in the food,

Now if you can stick with this for 5 days (and it is hard) you will loose alot of the belly. beacuse surprisingly most of your belly is water retention i would imagine. And cutting out the fizzy drinks and salty foods stops water retention. A big reason for no or low caffeine is you will sleep at night and wont stay up late and want to snack. It will also help your body heal and i guaruntee that after a week you will feel great.

Now after you have done the detox try and stay along similar lines but dont be so strict so you can have red meat etc but try and eat fresh soup not tinned and make your own. Boil a load of veg in a pot and blend it. So easy and so good for you.

Good luck and if you need any meal suggestions just ask i have plenty!

Oh i forgot to add drink at least 2 litres of water a day i try to do 4 to 5 as it flushes your system and is actually negative calorie

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

Sat [y]
Is that one of those diets where you can eat as much as you like kinda thing (the weetabix). If I was limited to say 2, I'd be knackered! Would probably do it the other way round too. Weetabix for breaky and lunch and then a proper meal in the evening.

I do like weetabix though, so thanks for the suggestion. I will need lots of it I presume!
i used to have 3 wheetabix in the mornin with 2 buttered toast.. mid day a salad sandwich with a packet of crisps and a drink and for the meal in the evening id have whatever the mom fed me lol.. but not as much as id have before and then a bowl of wheetabix again at night time.. but one thing im gonna say it made me go to the toilet more often haha

Sat [y]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you only think about healthy food as an 'option' for losing weight it will not work. it's about changing your lifestyle you need to couple this up with exercise and it is the only way to lose a considerable amout of weight.
as long as you choose an activity that will interest you ( not pies [:p] ) i.e circuit training at the local sports centre or get a bike, start walking places instead of Driving etc.

Do you need to have Bread roll with soup ?? just try the soup on it's own for a change, O.k it might be boring but it's about re-educating yourself with what is good/bad about your diet .

The steamer would be a great investment and try to stick to lots of Veg ( even if you dont like it.... Try it as it's for your health ) samoln /tuna steaks . You dont have to do this every day as all work and no play makes jack a dull boy but think about what you consume. If you make sandwiches try to use tortillas or something along those lines . have Brown rice/pasta and make your own pasta sauces

Have you thought about weight watchers ( i know some guys that go) it might be a good environment to be in with other people in the same boat as you..

Jay

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok i think for you the best thing to start with would be a detox. Now trust me this is not a list of nasty food or rules that say you cant eat. i have done this for some time every 2 months or so as well as eating healthy and manage to maintain my weight.

So for the detox the key here is

VERY LITTLE CARBS: that is rice, potato, bread, pasta, pzza etc etc etc.

No fizzy drinks or coffee or tea (will explain later)

Stay away from red meat etc for a week or so

Lots of vegetables and fruit

lots of protein with low fat.

So here are the good things to eat: Chicken breasts (tesco healthy living ones) salmon, cod, tuna (fresh or tinned) vegetables (steamed is great and very easy to do) a small handful of nuts (not roasted or salted just plain nuts, like pine nuts) salads (mixed salads are best not so boring. Also cottage cheese is good as it is low in fat and very good for you as it is a special protien that is slow release. eggs are also good (boiled not fried) Drink loads of water. very very little salt just eat what is already in the food,

Now if you can stick with this for 5 days (and it is hard) you will loose alot of the belly. beacuse surprisingly most of your belly is water retention i would imagine. And cutting out the fizzy drinks and salty foods stops water retention. A big reason for no or low caffeine is you will sleep at night and wont stay up late and want to snack. It will also help your body heal and i guaruntee that after a week you will feel great.

Now after you have done the detox try and stay along similar lines but dont be so strict so you can have red meat etc but try and eat fresh soup not tinned and make your own. Boil a load of veg in a pot and blend it. So easy and so good for you.

Good luck and if you need any meal suggestions just ask i have plenty!

Oh i forgot to add drink at least 2 litres of water a day i try to do 4 to 5 as it flushes your system and is actually negative calorie
That actually sounds pretty easy to do. I'm not really fussed what I eat, so long as I can have enough to not be hungry.

Anyone else fancy giving this a go with me for a week?

However, Jack, the one thing that hurts there is the coffee. I take it this is literally because of the caffiene? Not because it's doing damage to the detox? How about caffiene free coffee? I LOVE coffee. That would be the most painful thing to that.

But thats what I needed, those suggestions. Chicken breasts, cool, salmon, cod tuna, excellent (would never even have thought of buying salmon). Cottage cheese, like it, again, would never have thought about it. I remember having a cottage cheese saled somewhere, was lovely, very refreshing and didnt leave the heavy gut feeling I seem to have right now!

Satnam, the poo'ing don't sound to bad. On a diet like i have been for the last month, it don't happen often!! This is like that show where that women get's you to poo in a bowl! lol.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I remember doing the same when I first moved out, I kind of ran away with the idea of being able to eat & drink what ever I wanted.

Anyway, the missus & I went away for the week mid september & when we returned we (she) started the WW plan, & I do it along with her for support, or is that just because I cant be bothered to cook my own food.

So, I cut out drinking mid week too, & the results have been quite good, lost 9lb so far, which I'm happy with, need to loose another similar amount & then I'll be sorted & ready for my hols again in Feb, off to Cuba for 2 weeks ..............

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you only think about healthy food as an 'option' for losing weight it will not work. it's about changing your lifestyle you need to couple this up with exercise and it is the only way to lose a considerable amout of weight.
as long as you choose an activity that will interest you ( not pies [:p] ) i.e circuit training at the local sports centre or get a bike, start walking places instead of Driving etc.

Do you need to have Bread roll with soup ?? just try the soup on it's own for a change, O.k it might be boring but it's about re-educating yourself with what is good/bad about your diet .

The steamer would be a great investment and try to stick to lots of Veg ( even if you dont like it.... Try it as it's for your health ) samoln /tuna steaks . You dont have to do this every day as all work and no play makes jack a dull boy but think about what you consume. If you make sandwiches try to use tortillas or something along those lines . have Brown rice/pasta and make your own pasta sauces

Have you thought about weight watchers ( i know some guys that go) it might be a good environment to be in with other people in the same boat as you..

Jay
Cheers mate. It's not a diet I need though, (well could do with loosing the 1.5 stone again!) It's just a 'balanced' diet instead of pies all the time. I'm not huffing and puffing everywhere when I walk, I can still fly up the stairs like I usually do. It's just like you do, feel lethargic, can see the parts you don't wanna see appearing and clothes start getting a little tight! That's my time to stop and take a step back.

I just literally need different ideas for food, the tesco run is the same all the tie, know where the stuff is I usually get.

So now, from this thread, got Salmon, other fish, cottage cheese, weetabix, fresh veg etc. All stuff which I would nto usually buy. I like weetabix....never think of actually buying and eating it. I like salmon, never buy it. Now, will do, and try and shift the pattern.

I did have a toad in the whole for tonight, I'm gonna have salmon in a lettuce leaf instead [:D]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I always found after eating Red meat that i felt lathargic so i decided to go Veggie ( i never ate a large amounts of the stuff before ) and i started to feel so much better from the out set

Jay

·
Registered
162 Posts
As i say its harsh for a week but it works wonders then you can go back to eating "normally" which is small amount of rice with chicken etc and some veg which is actually very nice.

If you have decaf coffe its fine. In fact if you have normal coffe its fine, the one thing i find is if i have coffee i stay up past 12 and get up at 6. This means if i have dinner at 8pm by 11-12 im hungry again and want to eat. The coffee doesnt necessarily make you fat just makes you stay up later which is more time to eat! Also you will feel happier after getting more sleep. Like biker boys says, its lifestyle not just food BUT you have to do it in stages. I go to the gym now but i know you can lose alot of weight just by eating well.

The best thing about this detox and i know it sounds boring... is that you will see (on the scales) a result in 2 days guarunteed. And if you dont like how it is going what have you lost? WEIGHT lol not money.

Thats it your salal doesnt have to be boring. you can have: sweet peppers, mushrooms, spinach, mixed leaf, rocket, tomato, cucmber, mango, apple, anything you want and even add the nuts to the salad to make it interesting.

fresh tuna grilled on salad is lovely and just make your own dressing to make it taste good (use olive oil as its great for you!) salad dressings from a bottle are very fatty in general.

eat things like ryvita "breaks" if you want to snack as they are high in fibre and very good for you. i have a pack at my desk now and when i want to eat soemthing i have one.

It doesnt have to be boring. look in the fruit and veg section for soemthing colourful ad try it!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
I always found after eating Red meat that i felt lathargic so i decided to go Veggie ( i never ate a large amounts of the stuff before ) and i started to feel so much better from the out set

Jay
I 2nd that as im a veggie aswell [:D]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats it your salal doesnt have to be boring. you can have: sweet peppers, mushrooms, spinach, mixed leaf, rocket, tomato, cucmber, mango, apple, anything you want and even add the nuts to the salad to make it interesting.

fresh tuna grilled on salad is lovely and just make your own dressing to make it taste good (use olive oil as its great for you!) salad dressings from a bottle are very fatty in general.
Mate, that's brilliant. I'm making a shopping list out of all this! Things like mushrooms, spinach, rocket, cucumber, mango and apple. Love it all, would never EVER have thought of it when shopping. Therefore, walk straight past it oblivious.

As for the caffiene. Kinda ruined my caffiene levels now and it don't have much effect on me. Drink up to 10 coffee's a day [:$] Even that Rocket Fuel coffee with extra caffiene don't give me a kick!

Can drink it black though, so thats probably what I would do if / when I do the dettox. Might do it me thinks.

I thought about the dettox and eating food on its own. Thought 'what am I gonna put with my salmon (for instance). But, I'd just have apie on it's own, so really, it's not much different.

Apart from nuts, is there anything else you can nibble on? Sultana's for instance, which I already do? Not really a fan of nuts. Spose I could nibble on grapes and apple.

Anyone else think an apple is crap, but when you slice it up into say 8 pieces it looks nice!? [:$]

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Something from my wife's computer file.

Chinese cooks traditionally steam fish with
ginger and scallions, which are said to mollify the flavor of the fish.
Chef Danny Chan's innovative twist is the addition of refreshing lemon.
When Chef Chan steams shrimp, scallops and lobster, he uses the same
method, but omits the soy sauce.
2 (1-pound) salmon fillets

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

2 scallions, cut into 4-inch pieces

4 slices ginger

1 lemon

2 teaspoons sesame oil

Thoroughly rinse the
fish in cold water and pat dry. Put the fillets in a 9-inch shallow
heatproof bowl. Drizzle the soy sauce, salt and pepper over the salmon.
Sprinkle with the scallions and ginger. Cut the lemon in half
crosswise. Cut half a lemon into 4 slices and put on the fish. Juice
the remaining lemon and drizzle over the fish.

Put a 1-inch-high steamer rack in a 14-inch-flatbottomed wok. Add
water to a depth of 3/4 inch and bring to a boil over high heat.
Carefully put the bowl on the rack, cover, and steam for 8 to 10
minutes. Test the fish for doneness by poking the thickest party with a
chopstick or fork; the fish should flake. If not, steam 1 to 2 minutes
or until the fish just flakes. Be sure to check the water level from
time to time and replenish if necessary, with boiling water. Carefully
remove the bowl from the wok. Drizzle the sesame oil over the fillets.

Just have a peek around google for ideas of what you can do

Jay

·
Registered
162 Posts
ok so to help with your list of foods:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

for snacking: oat biscuits (not 10 at a time but for a snack they are good and good for your digestive system)<o:p></o:p>

raisins, dried apricots, dried banana, dried fruit in general but helthy stuff not crystallised in sugar lol.<o:p></o:p>

good snack is unusual fruit otherwise it gets boring So blueberries, raspberries, grapes (not that filling but they are something to munch on)<o:p></o:p>

Agree on the apple thing its weird but very true<o:p></o:p>

Do treat yourself too so have a choccie in the evenings it wont kill you and will stop you craving things because you know you have somehting to look forward to. I find it works really well to keep you from straying otherwise you will feel deprived and thats not the idea.<o:p></o:p>

Eat plenty, go for Oatibix not wheatabix as they are made by same people but much better for you. wheat bloats you. Eat plent too so have 3-4 if you need in the morning. Also nice with dried fruit on top of it too.for a change. Make sure you eat plenty at breakfast lunch and dinner that way you wont snack. Then have a small snack at say 10 and another at 3. That way you know you are getting something and will not look to snack around those times. <o:p></o:p>

As for dinners here is some food to add to that list mate: macarel, prawns, sardines, mixed seafood, crab, monkfish. These are all nice healthy foods full of natural oils. <o:p></o:p>

meat: go for chicken in general but do have steak or something once a week but it is heavy. Pork is ok but still fairly heavy so keep it minimal. If you like burgers, make your own with 90% beef mince so its not full of crap and cereal and fat. <o:p></o:p>

Another nice thing to do it make nice sauces for your chicken etc... so here is one to get you started:<o:p></o:p>

Chicken with roasted veg and mediterranean sauce<o:p></o:p>

2 chicken breasts<o:p></o:p>

tin of good quality choppen tomatoes, sun dried tomates, some pesto<o:p></o:p>

1 sweet potato, red peppers, onion, mushrooms<o:p></o:p>

put the chicken in some tin foil in a baking tray in the oven (make sure The chicken is wrapped tightly so it keeps all the juices in) oven needs to be at 180degrees and will take 35-40 mins.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Chop up the veg into cubes (about an inch squared max, smaller for the sweet potato) Cover in olive oil and put on tin foil in the oven leaving the top exposed and uncovered. (this will also take 30-40 mins)

Then 10 mins before the chicken is done wack the tin of tomatoes and the pesto etc in the foil with the chicken and that is your sauce!

Voila!

HTH,

Jack<o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 43 Posts