Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I emailed most of the Dealers around my area asking what is included in a 40k Service and how much.

2001 X-reg VW Golf 1.6SE.

This is what Ridgeway Reading came back with:

The 40 k svc is the bigest svc, it involves a full inspection where they check brakes, safety features(airbags), lights(interior and exterior), screenwash and wipers, tyres, battery and engine components. they also grease door hinges, top up screenwash, change oil and all filters including pollen and fuel filter, and check levels of other fluids.

The price for this svc is ?285 inc of parts, labour and VAT, we also recommend a Brake Fluid Change which is an additional ?60, but obviously thats up to yourself.

If you have any other queries or you wish to make the booking dont hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

Iain

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thats quite funny. When i had my 40K service at Ridgeway last April, i didn't get the choice of brake fluid change. It was just done with no warning and the ?60 slapped onthe bill.

I have more recently fallen out big time with the garage!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Quote: posted by iaincoleman on 13/01/2005 11:42:06

a full inspection where they check brakes, safety features(airbags), lights(interior and exterior), screenwash and wipers, tyres, battery and engine components, they also grease door hinges, top up screenwash

Can do all that with VAG com (output test & scan for faults) and your eyes!

change oil and all filters including pollen and fuel filter, and check levels of other fluids.

Can pay pretty much any garage ?70 cash tops for all that!

Also, if its the biggest how come there is no timing belt etc being done?

Depends if you need/want full dealer service history.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much did you pay efrancis? If you dont mind me asking!

And did they do all that they said here?

Why have you fallen out with them?

You've hit the nail on the head Liquorice. I intend keeping the golf for a long time therefore Full Dealer Service History isnt important.

I am considering taking it to my local friendly/helpful mechanic because I probably trust him more, especially after hearing the horror stories you all say about the dealers!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have one of those service things where you pay monthly then it states in the book that you get this brake fluid change included in the service.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slyfields Colbourne's reply:

Sir

A 40k service is around ?300 incl VAT for your car. The service should be described in your manual but we would be happy to describe it over the phone

Regards

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's what I'd expect from Colbournes. Always going that extra mile for customer service (like telling you to read your manual). I would avoid them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by iaincoleman on 13/01/2005 14:56:54

Slyfields Colbourne's reply:

Sir

A 40k service is around ?300 incl VAT for your car. The service should be described in your manual but we would be happy to describe it over the phone

Regards

Sneaky Gits. All emails can be regarded as 'records' pertaining to the company, so they don't want to hold themselves accountable in any respect for what they say.

Just for a laugh, phone them and tell them that you are recording the conversation, then ask them to tell you!....

·
Registered
409 Posts
Quote: posted by iaincoleman on 13/01/2005 11:54:58

How much did you pay efrancis? If you dont mind me asking!

And did they do all that they said here?

Why have you fallen out with them?

Just checked the invoice - I paid ?290 + ?60 for the brakes. They didn't grease my door hinges (and i specifically told them to!) otherwise they did everything.

I fell out with them because they never cured any problems i had and what put the lid on it was i had my car booked in for a replacement seat and key fob (under warranty) and they took my car for the day then in the evening told me they didn't have the parts in to do any of the work. This was after i had booked it in 2weeks beforehand after a service and they said they would get parts ordered for that date. Plus some other stuff, like not fault finding properly, charging me twice for oil, giving away my courtesy car 'cos i forgot my licence and went home to get it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i've recently had a 40000 mile longlife service on my pd130 including brake fluid change, longlife oil (?50) etc. and it came to ?293 all in at VW stealer - ?300 for a normal 40k service on it's own sounds steep

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Camberley Whites Quote (A week late)

Thank you for your enquiry regarding service on your car

the cost of this service is ?291.45

this is big service and involves replacing all 3 filters

spark plugs and engine oil the cost above also includes vat and labour

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Are you getting ripped off because of where you live or something? I paid ?196 and change for my 40k service

I got quotes from 5 different dealers, including a Skoda one, and the highest I was quoted was ?221

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quite possibly Cat. Thats the 4th quote from a VW dealer.

I am giving it to a local mechanic tomorrow who my dad uses all the time so it should be a lot less than those quotes.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Should bloomin hope so!

Bit late now, but you should have tried a Skoda dealer as well, for the VAG service history - I wasn't quoted any cheaper but I know a few on here have been

1 - 20 of 26 Posts