Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Heard stories of one of those Smart cars covering about 400k with only replacing wear and tear parts.

The highest millege car ive seen is a G reg Bmw 750i V12, it was on 340k last time it came in and still going strong, he wants to get a million miles out of it. Imagine how much fuel has been through it.

Hmm my dads Phase 1 Range Rover ...V8 twin carb rover engine ...Old M reg// Never had the cyl heads off that...but thats only on 128k. But for the age thats cracking.

Highest recent car millege was on a `01 318i E46/// 212K. Drove fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a skoda taxi driving around Lincoln with around 300k on the clock, he say's its still on the original engine.  He just got through a couple of clutches and belt changes, i think that it was a v reg/ 1999, it looked spot on from the outside but was showing signs of wear on the inside.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So no one can beat the spaceship above then?!

The one above must be on its original engine otherwise they would have stated it. You wouldn't leave something like that out!

Not a bad price for the car either, 750 quid! And you could probably knock him down and make an offer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thats going to take some beating then.  The only car I can think of that is close was a Mondeo Airport Taxi with 350K on the clock.  It was on a 97.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I saw one Octavia with 220k on the clock and it was still covered under warranty [:S]

This was a taxi that was on the road 24 / 7 it had 3 drivers doing 8 hour shifts keeping it on the road.

The reason they use the Octavia`s for taxis is they are cheap and reliable.

The SDi engines in the base model with the base colour (usually white or red) was really cheap and the boot was HUGE!!!!!

I was at the Skoda dealers for 5 and a half years and I did see some really high mileage cars.

We saw one in a magazine once with high mileage on so I had a look at the warranty he had on the car.

2 gearboxes , 3 or 4 brake light switches as many hazzard switches as he wanted.Wow the list was 2 pages long , but at least Skoda kept saying yes [;)]

Sarah

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw one Octavia with 220k on the clock and it was still covered under warranty [:S]

This was a taxi that was on the road 24 / 7 it had 3 drivers doing 8 hour shifts keeping it on the road.

The reason they use the Octavia`s for taxis is they are cheap and reliable.

The SDi engines in the base model with the base colour (usually white or red) was really cheap and the boot was HUGE!!!!!

I was at the Skoda dealers for 5 and a half years and I did see some really high mileage cars.

We saw one in a magazine once with high mileage on so I had a look at the warranty he had on the car.

2 gearboxes , 3 or 4 brake light switches as many hazzard switches as he wanted.Wow the list was 2 pages long , but at least Skoda kept saying yes [;)]

Sarah
Yes but didnt skoda mess up a bit when they came out with their unlimited mileage 3 year warranty?! Then all the taxi drivers though, lovely, a few free gearboxes!

At least Skoda honoured it though, but how long did that unlimited mileage warranty really last?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Skoda got away with this by saying that it had to be a pure warranty claim.

After 40k suspension out of warranty.

It had to be Mechanical defect or Electrical fault , it could NOT be down to fair wear and tear.

Wow I went on a course to do the warrnty claims for a refresher and it was claimed that warranty was a grey area with the majority of parts.

But gearboxes have been put in to a 5th year of warranty

Sarah

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how did the taxi drivers get away with having new gearboxes all the time? Thats through wear and tear surely? High miles mostly start and stop all day.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
So no one can beat the spaceship above then?!

The one above must be on its original engine otherwise they would have stated it. You wouldn't leave something like that out!

Not a bad price for the car either, 750 quid! And you could probably knock him down and make an offer.
its only an SDI, so cant exactly be putting a strain on the engine! [:D]

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
It was a funny gearbox that they had.

02K IIRC They did have a few issues with them.

Release bearing was not in the usual place and they had a rod that used to shear.

But is was the gearbox some rivets used to sheer off.

Blimey this is making me think now.

Sarah

·
Registered
92 Posts
Holy Crap, Thats been to the moon and back a few times I think[:O]

And I thought I had done a lot of miles in my car with 135k!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts