Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing a little homewrok on these,who has the highest mileage V6 4motion golf or bora on here? what kind of mileage are these engines good for?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine is still going strong on 95k but I'm sure there will be others with more.

Only thing its needed other than normal service items has been a steering rack, arb bushes and a new brake caliper.

The arb bushes need doing again and I've been told I need to change the arbs too as there is surface corrosion under the bush. Hope that's not overkill, I though the corrosion could have been sanded off and the bar waxoyled.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I test drove a 4Mo for a bubble when I had my V5 just out of interest. It had 111k on the clock and ran like a bag of nails, creaks, rattles, knocks, misfire. I'm fairly sure it was a dog anyway as it was covered in parking dings, marks on the seats, oil leaks etc. My 77k V5 felt much better.  

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine clicked over to 100k last night! Still in great shape - havent had it long so still getting the little niggles from the previous owner sorted out but in the 3 weeks ive had it I have been really pleased. Feel free to ask questions if you thinking of buying one and I'll help where i can.

Matt

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well mine hardly qualifies at just 35000 miles, but i have heard, on more than one occasion with the proper care , i.e. servicing etc they will top 500,000 miles without a problem, this of course doesn't include the ancillaries that are bolted onto the motor. Mind you I would think that that sort of mileage would apply to most if not all of the range, unless one is unlucky.!!!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
110k on mine full VW Service history no engine mods (YET) and pulls like a 204 horses haha!!! wicked motors and definetly worth the expense in petrol... nothing but smiles when you blow of twats in chav-mobiles in a standard looking golf. they sure dont like it

·
Registered
184 Posts
I saw a 2001 Golf V6 in Auction last week with 140k on the clock, i think it sold for around ?3800

Those engines are bomb proof!

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Oooooops my bad Tabs, sorry bout that one... i guess it has made me look like a twat... ooops theres the tweenies again lol... hehe...

as for going back on topic. if you thinking of a v6 and can spare the extra expense on petrol and all the rest go for one. ive had lots of debates on it before i got mine back in november (51 plate 90k on the clock) and i dont regret it at all... its just the stupid fuel prices spoiling things as usual... but i defo recomend getting one

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
122K and will be 130K in about 4-5 weeks time [:DD]

As for paying for the fuel for 500K i will as it is NEVER going to be sold and as long as it lasts the stretch/or i do then it WILL have 500K on it LOL

Andy

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job lads and good to know,i am indeed toying with the idea of picking up a V6 bora-i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
423 Posts
On a side note, i wonder how many people know this engine is not really a v6 at all and actually a staggered 6, or Vee Reihenmotor ( inline vee) in German. They wanted a 6 cyl motor for more power but an inline 6 was too long to be mounted transversely in the Mk3/corrado and a v6 with 60 or 90 degree banks would eat into crumple zone space and require vehicle lenthening.

The v6 uses today are still actually VR6s, but have even narrower 10.5 degree angles between the staggered 'banks'. The cylinders altnerate left -right either side of the crankshaft with no cylinders being opposite to another like in a normal Vee. This design allows much more compatness, and also means less moving parts and increases simplicity- this halves the number of camshafts required for example. It also means the engine is almost as smooth as an inherently better design for smoothness then a 60 degree v6.

By sticking two VR4s two, VR6s or VR8s together you get the W8, W12 and W16 engines, all very compact for their size. Very Clever from VW that.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
On a side note, i wonder how many people know this engine is not really a v6 at all and actually a staggered 6, or Vee Reihenmotor ( inline vee) in German. They wanted a 6 cyl motor for more power but an inline 6 was too long to be mounted transversely in the Mk3/corrado and a v6 with 60 or 90 degree banks would eat into crumple zone space and require vehicle lenthening.

The v6 uses today are still actually VR6s, but have even narrower 10.5 degree angles between the staggered 'banks'. The cylinders altnerate left -right either side of the crankshaft with no cylinders being opposite to another like in a normal Vee. This design allows much more compatness, and also means less moving parts and increases simplicity- this halves the number of camshafts required for example. It also means the engine is almost as smooth as an inherently better design for smoothness then a 60 degree v6.

By sticking two VR4s two, VR6s or VR8s together you get the W8, W12 and W16 engines, all very compact for their size. Very Clever from VW that.
I think it's pretty much common knowledge. I remember being amazed when it first came out, I might be fantasising here but wasn't there an ad with a Japanese guy saying something like "Very clever, these Germans"?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts