Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been reading up on the differences between the KO3 and the KO3s turbo, and it seems that a remap combined with other 'simple' mods; ie, induction kit, exhaust, de-cat, etc.. on the KO3 will prove lucky to even break the 200bhp barrier. Anyone out there who can prove otherwise? I feel like I should have bought a post 2000 model now for the bigger turbo!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
My K03 got 202hp, then I swapped out to a K03 s (on an AGU) and got 241hp, same rollers, same day.

The K03 s just holds its power for a good 1500 rpm more, its not hugely more powerful or torquey up to 5000 revs, it just carries on and makes a good 30hp more after 5200 revs.

Just source a K03s turbo and bolt it on, and jobs done. I got a new one for ?300 from A-M Motrosport off the seat forum. Try mike, AKA Shock XE, he used to have a source!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My K03 got 202hp, then I swapped out to a K03 s (on an AGU) and got 241hp, same rollers, same day.

The K03 s just holds its power for a good 1500 rpm more, its not hugely more powerful or torquey up to 5000 revs, it just carries on and makes a good 30hp more after 5200 revs.

Just source a K03s turbo and bolt it on, and jobs done. I got a new one for ?300 from A-M Motrosport off the seat forum. Try mike, AKA Shock XE, he used to have a source!
So as my car already has a remap, solely by bolting the new turbo on will gain all that extra power? Is it easy to fit?

·
Registered
167 Posts
An excellent question, I too am very interested to hear from the ko3 brigade. We AGU owners are aware that the correct thing to do is upgrade to the ko3S however the mans question was whats the highest KO3 bhp obtained.

Does anyone have a contact number for AM-Motorsport.? I want a KO3S.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An excellent question, I too am very interested to hear from the ko3 brigade. We AGU owners are aware that the correct thing to do is upgrade to the ko3S however the mans question was whats the highest KO3 bhp obtained.

Does anyone have a contact number for AM-Motorsport.? I want a KO3S.
I'm thinking about this, too...just need to know if it's easy to fit

·
Registered
868 Posts
Same here!!  I want to know if literally putting on Ko3s will make a differnce, becaise I thought I would have to go get it mapped again.  Which is just more expense so I don't really wana do it lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes you will need a new remap when it's fitted. Cos it's pushing more air round at higher rpm (70 mph was roughly 200rpm less before my remap.

It's quite a hard job to do. You have to take off loads to get to the turbo, then all the lines: oil in and out water in and out, and exhauist mani and intake.
It's fiddly, cos there's NO room behind the engine, and as you gradually get the bits going back together you start having to do stuff without seeing where it's going. You need all new washers/gaskets etc.

I did it for the power and it's been well worth it. I couldn't afford to pay someone 3-500quid to fit it, else that would have been too expensive and not worth it.

I did my cambelt in April after only having done an oil change, so am quite good taking things apart to go back together.

Worth the 200 i paid, perhaps not 800 though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sorry i'll try again.
jabbasport remapped my old agu engined a3 to 228bhp. ko3 turbo. The spec was cai with k&n filter, abd turbo tip, neuspeed intercooler, 3" down pipe, decat, 2.5" miltek system, 4 fpr and i also adjusted the wastegate on the turbo to hold more boost. (free mod). I put 10k on the clock with no problem before selling it.
Ill try and find the power graph jabba give me and post it up.

·
Registered
811 Posts
All I'll say is "Jabba"... !!!! ...Not a sniff did a regular KO3 produce that. The highest I achieved before upgrading to the sport was 202 bhp on several respected RR's including stealth racing. I had every bolt on imaginable: Full milltek turboback, high grade 200 cell cat, Dynatwist CAI, Forge/Samco T.I.P, Uprated N75, FMIC. I ran APR and REVO software and neither got me anywhere near that figure. I was told by several tuners that it was one of the highest AGU KO3 cars they'd seen and it was pretty much on its limit for power. So I'm sorry but no way can another 26 bhp be extracted..

This is confirmed by everyone else I speak to that doesn't believe the mystical figures that Jabba quote. Dont get me wrong they do a good job, but they consistently over quote the power achievable.

I now people say why are you bothered abot the figure, its how the car drives... AND i agree. But when you have someone saying there car is 25 BHP better of and people buy into that it gets on my wick. No offence to the fella that has mentioned his car, He's only quoting what Jabba say. Its just utter bolllll ocks thats all. Many Jabba owners have been a little bit red faced when there car has gone against other maps on the same RR on the same day..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi all,

I finally today gave in and got my Golf AGU mk4 remapped by revo at big boys toys in lakeside essex. The process was extremly smooth and the lads very helpful. All in can say is WOW, complete change, the car drives so much better and the pickup is awsome. Ive got the standard airbox with a pipercross panel filter, forge DV and enlarged TIP. The out put was very suprising 198bhp and 215ft/lb torque, i was suprised as i was expecting the figure to be alot lower somewhere in the region of 180-185bhp. the cars done 70k, recenlty serviced and always run it on optimax/v-power whatever they call it now so i guess thats why the final reading was higher than expected.

Next on the list for mods is a full miltek system with hidden tailpipes to keep the look smooth, apparently miltek dont advertise this tailpipe finish as its not that popular.

Just a final note backing up the previous post, its what the car drives like that makes the difference and for ?398 for the performance im now getting, im certainly not dissapointed. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Glad your satisfied mate... A remap is massive isnt it [:)] I'll almost guarantee that you'll get restless in a few months time and want more power, but for now enjoy what you've got! The figure you've achieved there is very respectable, but please be aware the 220 + figures is pure pie in the sky on the regular ko3.

I would make my next mod the suspension if I was you now... slammed on coils is always a massive bonus. The car will be faster for it... purely as it will get the power onto the road so much better! People seem to forget this a lot... its an essential mod if you ask me

·
Registered
35 Posts
All ill say is i never put the car on a different rolling road so will never know what the car acullaly produced. I only know what jabba told me.? The driving experience was spot on no lag, and alot of bottom end pull.
Well worth the money are remaps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
All I'll say is "Jabba"... !!!! ...Not a sniff did a regular KO3 produce that. The highest I achieved before upgrading to the sport was 202 bhp on several respected RR's including stealth racing. I had every bolt on imaginable: Full milltek turboback, high grade 200 cell cat, Dynatwist CAI, Forge/Samco T.I.P, Uprated N75, FMIC. I ran APR and REVO software and neither got me anywhere near that figure. I was told by several tuners that it was one of the highest AGU KO3 cars they'd seen and it was pretty much on its limit for power. So I'm sorry but no way can another 26 bhp be extracted..

This is confirmed by everyone else I speak to that doesn't believe the mystical figures that Jabba quote. Dont get me wrong they do a good job, but they consistently over quote the power achievable.

I now people say why are you bothered abot the figure, its how the car drives... AND i agree. But when you have someone saying there car is 25 BHP better of and people buy into that it gets on my wick. No offence to the fella that has mentioned his car, He's only quoting what Jabba say. Its just utter bolllll ocks thats all. Many Jabba owners have been a little bit red faced when there car has gone against other maps on the same RR on the same day..
i agree i had mine remapped at jabba last jan and their sheet said it was 217bhp i had it rolling roaded at stealth about 2 months later and it was 199bhp that was with a agu with a ko3 turbo back milltek and a jabba induction kit it all seemed a bit "top secret" while i was there too i wasnt allowed to go anywhere near my car while it was being carried out they drove it in a little room at the back and shut the doors behind them.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Well said , a ko3 will crap it self in no time if it was producing the 220 hp+ your on about ,200 is the max for that turbo on a 1.8t with ko3 and you will find yourself forking out a lot of money for a new turbo and a damaged engine if your unlucky !!

·
Registered
881 Posts
i agree i had mine remapped at jabba last jan and their sheet said it was 217bhp i had it rolling roaded at stealth about 2 months later and it was 199bhp that was with a agu with a ko3 turbo back milltek and a jabba induction kit it all seemed a bit "top secret" while i was there too i wasnt allowed to go anywhere near my car while it was being carried out they drove it in a little room at the back and shut the doors behind them.
I thought exactly the same thing, they did an excellent job on my car so i cant fault them at all on that but i took my camera along with me to get some nice pics of it on the RR but as you said the car was just driven into the little back room and the door was shut behind it and i was told that i wasnt allowed to watch, bit of a shame really, but like i said the result was spot on!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

Well the reason that they are in a little room at the back is one for noise levels, imagine living near a set of rollers and have that running all day and two the reason your not alowd in there is for insurance reasons.... you'd be a grease spot if your car broke its tethers and sailed off the rollers at 120mph! My AUM is a Jabbasport car and it rolled 233hp with the KO3s and almost every consieveable bolt-on and on their rollers and it rolled almost identical figures on the next set of rollers it went on.... this same thing happened in a previous post when no one believed that RSGOLF's KO3S Jabba car rolled circa of 250hp... so on an openday he turned up and rolled circa 250hp! 20hp more than my KO3s equiped car. they all roll different figures! Cars and engines wear to the driver and how is driven and maintained, some loosen up dramatically with a good thrashing some take 60 or 70k to reach the same some are just dogs or friday afternoon cars as their know, mileage can have a big impact on hp readings especialy on VW engines. So lets not jump on the Jabba rollers band waggon again... its been done to death. Thier a good bunch down there, I know a few people in the tuning business and when the dust settles they all say that Mike and team know their stuff on forced induction because thats all they do!

·
Registered
811 Posts
My original point is that the regular KO3 will not be able to produce that sort of power.. I wasn't wanting to start of a Jabba sport rollers are a little biased debate..

As for RS's car, if you look at some of the spec on it, its hardly surprising it made that power, huge induction kit, full monty of bolt ons.. in the same vane as GaryM's really with similar power. Its not about actual number as well all know... my point is that sometimes its frustrating to hear people claim they have an extra 20 HP over what has been proven to be the limit...Im not getting wound up by it, but its miss leading to new people coming into the forum. I know I would have probably believed it all when I first entered the scene some 4 years ago..

Jabba do a good job and have many sitisfied customers, Ive never doubted that..I just question their RR readings on the majority of the cars they tune. You cant deny that many a Jabba owner has been slighlty upset once theyve popped onto someone elses rollers?

All numbers are pretty much meaningless without the back up of a graph anyway tbh... as peak numbers can be just a spike, and not the long, smooth power that its better suited....

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yeah I agree that Jabbas old rollers were a little on the generous side, and I know the KO3 is a little aerodynamically challanged... I had one of the first 18T's in 98 with the KO3 and it struggled to make 190hp! All I was saying that you do get different motors to... my car minus the FMIC and a few bits is as highly spec'd as Garys car.... whole heap of bolt ons but still made a good 20hp less than RS's and Garys motor....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts