Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now I?ve been debating having a HID conversion done on the Golf, after reading many reviews and HID kit suppliers websites, I started asking around to see if anyone had recommendations, but alas none were forthcoming. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

As far as kit quality went, the same name kept cropping up, HID?S 4U, so after phoning a number of their listed fitting centres, it was apparent some knew a lot, and some next to nothing about fitting to a MK5 Golf. I had quote of 1 to 5 hours too fit, some didn?t realise the front end of the car needed removing, hence the 1 hour. Trust me if you want a tidy job, the front needs removing.<o:p></o:p>

Anyway I set off on Saturday morning looking for M Style in Sunny Romford, M Style are listed on HID?s 4U website as a fitting centre, <o:p> </o:p>

Now as I?m sure you can appreciate, seeing the difference of Xenon?s in the daylight is next to impossible, However I was show under the bonnet a very tidy install. So I paid up and left.<o:p></o:p>

Isn?t it strange how long it takes to get dark even this time of year, but at 5.30 pm I was firing the Xenon?s up, impressed with their OE looking soft start, so I set off driving around looking for the darkest country lanes I could find, but even with a small amount of daylight left in the clear winter night sky, I could see the difference immediately. and wow what a difference, a massive amount of crisp white light on the road in front.<o:p></o:p>

I hardly found the need for main beam, as the Xenon?s pierced into the inky black <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Kent</st1:place></st1:country-region> country lanes<o:p></o:p>

Now for the big test, one of my main worries with retrofit was blinding other drivers, thinking the normal headlight lenses were a completely different design to the real deal.<o:p></o:p>

Well 100 miles over two nights and I have only been flashed once.<o:p></o:p>

So all in all one happy Golf driver<o:p></o:p>

I?ve enclosed some photos, to try and illustrated the difference.

The car in question..

<o:p>
Posted Image
</o:p>

<o:p>Neat install of one of the control units</o:p>

Posted Image

<o:p>Xenon dipped beam..</o:p>

Posted Image

<o:p>Xenon dipped and standard main..</o:p>

Posted Image

<o:p>Sorry for the fuzzy photo's, but I didn't want to use flash.</o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
418 Posts
Great review [Y] So what was the overall cost including the fitting?

Can you still ajust your lights i.e when carrying a heavy load?

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great review [Y] So what was the overall cost including the fitting?

Can you still ajust your lights i.e when carrying a heavy load?

Chris
I paid ?350 all in, and yes you can adjust still via the wheel on the dash, you still have the lights coming on when you press the remote to unlock the car.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The last thing I'd want would be to blind other drivers, I mentioned my concern in my write-up, as for the mot if it were an issue, it's a 5 minuete job to change back to standard for the mot.

To be honest I get blinded more by cars running around with incorrecly set up standard headlights.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
WARNING!!!

Just a interesting article from autoexpress and the lightly hood of failed MOT with HID installations:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html
It is also worth speaking to your MOT tester prior to agreeing to have the test done, to ensure that they will pass the light output colour of the HID's, as this is currently all that they can fail you for.

Otherwise, like me, you'll just end up having to pay for 2 MOT tests.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WARNING!!!

Just a interesting article from autoexpress and the lightly hood of failed MOT with HID installations:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html
It is also worth speaking to your MOT tester prior to agreeing to have the test done, to ensure that they will pass the light output colour of the HID's, as this is currently all that they can fail you for.

Otherwise, like me, you'll just end up having to pay for 2 MOT tests.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks a very nice job to me Derv with your usual informative writeup.Certainly something i will consider.[Y]
Thanks Locoman, if you need any contacts just let me know, I imagine you might benefit from more light up front, to go with your extra power [;)]

·
Registered
440 Posts
The picture you show of the dipped beam looks very high, nearly like a main beam, there doesn't appear to be any cut-off.
How far were you from the fence?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a further update from last weeks conversation, at the weekend I drove down to my local MOT centre and asked the lads to check my dipped headlight beam pattern

Here's the N/S

Posted Image

And again

Posted Image

Sadly the O/S photo was ruined my glare from the glass cover, but trust me it was the same.

Because I a sado, I managed to persued the wife to drive my car at night while I filmed her, in this short clip mines the second car, just after I was blinded my main beam man.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
after seeing your videoclip, i think they look alright.i was concerned in your initial pictures as there was no clear, definitive "tick" shape that you would normally get with your standard bulbs,. perhaps the light is so bright that it reflects too much off the reflector before passing through the lense itself to give the correct beam patter as it's being scattered in a few directions! and just a note, you cannot compare a retrofit xenon kit to a set of vw oe spec LUPO gti xenons, as the LUPO xenons run on a projector style setup, which is far more controlled as it is using a defintive cut off over the front of the bulb and the beam has a far more definitive characteristic as a result of this!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after seeing your videoclip, i think they look alright.i was concerned in your initial pictures as there was no clear, definitive "tick" shape that you would normally get with your standard bulbs,. perhaps the light is so bright that it reflects too much off the reflector before passing through the lense itself to give the correct beam patter as it's being scattered in a few directions! and just a note, you cannot compare a retrofit xenon kit to a set of vw oe spec LUPO gti xenons, as the LUPO xenons run on a projector style setup, which is far more controlled as it is using a difintive cut off over the front of the bulb and the beam has a far more difinitive characteristic as a result of this!
Don't get me wrong, as I was not way suggesting the retro fits were going to be as good as OE, I was only really relaying my findings that they don't dazzle every other driver on the road, and for the money weren?t too bad.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
i was referring to mike mod's posting of his mrs'  beam pattern. wasn't being disrespectful at all mate. i bet you are really pleased with them! the light output is so much better. also don't forget,your alternator will be working less now, too!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i was referring to mike mod's posting of his mrs' beam pattern. wasn't being disrespectful at all mate. i bet you are really pleased with them! the light output is so much better. also don't forget,your alternator will be working less now, too!
Sorry my mistake, [:$] thank's for you comments.[Y]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just to let everyone know - I too have retro-fitted a set of Xenons to a GT TDI and will get some pics to show you all shortly!

OJR. [:D]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to let everyone know - I too have retro-fitted a set of Xenons to a GT TDI and will get some pics to show you all shortly!

OJR. [:D]
I'll look forwards to seeing them, where doid you get your from, did you fit them yourself?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts