Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Id like to get some hid's for my MK5 and had a few questions :

1. Do I need a canbus kit if the ballasts are 55w ?

2. In you opinion what is the best colour temp? I am thinking to go for 6K

3. best places to get them from in the U.K?

Regards Adam [:D]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just fitted in HID's for my golf 1.9 tdi,

6000K = BANG ON!!!!

You Will also need HID Bulb holders!!! Cheap as chips on ebay!!!

And also warning light cancellers!!! without them, you wont be able to turn ur headlights on!

2BH I just bought a standard HID kit works perfect...

ill upload a pic for ya...

·
Registered
246 Posts
this time next year i will have an passat cc with factory fitted HID's so i wont be fussed chris has my puddle light come in

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, where did you get yours from? why do i need a canbus kit if the orginial output of power is 55w ?

Adam

·
Registered
234 Posts
Dont put HIDs in reflector lights... please please please!
Nobodies listening[:mad:] Ill never understand the attraction of spending money on something which is illegal because the correct parts are not used and can cause problems for other roadusers.

How do these fittings pass an MOT test?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am listening [:)]

What do you have against them ?

I dont get this whole "not passing MOT" bit becasue of glare, mercedes use reflectors and honda with xenon's with there H7R bulbs, they have no problem.

Adam

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
The thing i have against them is all the chavs that run them blind me on a regular basis.

Also if you ever see a car with HIDs on the motorway in the dark... just take a look at how crap the light output is on the road. Id say that compared to a proper xenon setup in a projector lens, the HID in reflectors reach about 25% of the distance!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im really surprised about that, 5000k is pure white. I really do think its who you have your MOT with, the HID kit id like is being sold by a garage and they will pass lights up to 8000k. Ill give my VW specialst a ring and see what they say.

Putting aside the debate "to be or not to be" will I need warning cancellors ro canbus on a 55w kit ?

Adam

P.S thankyou for all your replies

·
Jedi
1,452 Posts
I think with the Mk5s you need Canbus ballasts, but Im not 100% sure though.

Also, on a side note, as from next year the only HIDs that will pass an MOT are;

1.) Factory fitted HIDs.

2.) Aftermarket kit fitted with - auto-levelling, headlight washer system, correctly designed projector headlight units & with correct colour temperature bulbs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Also, on a side note, as from next year the only HIDs that will pass an MOT are;

1.) Factory fitted HIDs.

2.) Aftermarket kit fitted with - auto-levelling, headlight washer system, correctly designed projector headlight units & with correct colour temperature bulbs.
Internet myth. No such ruling in the MOT guidelines.

·
Jedi
1,452 Posts

1.) Factory fitted HIDs.

Internet myth. No such ruling in the MOT guidelines.
Technically these are the only 2 ways of having legal HIDs anyway.

Therefore, in-correctly fitted HIDs should fail an MOT.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts