Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'd personally say no, Thats only because i've fitted genuine xenons. I'm sure if the bulb was not behind the glass projector then the light would just blind oncoming traffic. Also i dont think they'd pass an Mot. What about putting them behind a set of projector headlights ??

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a similar kit in my Leon.

No problems with beam allignment though the cut off is not as accurate. Light output is far better than the standard Leon/Toledo set up and as long as you dont go any higher than 6000k, you will probably pass your MOT no probs. I have passed three MOT's with HID kits installed now, as long as its ligned up right then your generally OK.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which kit do you have unikarl and was it similar in price to this one? I have a Toledo which has the same headlights. Is there a tinge of blue with the 6000k bulbs? And was the kit easy to install?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I got my kit from a company over in Australia.

I have sold a lot of kits from them now and never had any reliability issues. Installation is easy as there is a decent amount of room to get your hands in behind the Leon/Toledo lights.

If you want one I get them for ?150 in 6000k and 8000k. I have the 6000k kit and there is a small hint of blue but not enough to make the light cast on the road ahead blue, they cast a very pure white light.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have this exact kit in 8000k and its fantastic. Love it. Not a bad
word to say about it.... makes everyone stare and give me great light
output.... 10/10

·
Registered
45 Posts
Adam - where did you put the hid kit on the high beam or the dip beam. Did you have any problems fitting them into your angel eyes headlights?

Are they easy to align

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the angel eye conversion as the have the epilepsoids in them. I then put them on my dipped beam. When you have the angel eyes high beam gets replaced with H7's instead of H1's so you get a better high beam anyway.

Not too difficult to install, on the right hand side (drivers side) you can fit the HID ballast to the back of the headlight no problem, but on the left, you have to fit it underneath the headlight then hold it in place with the headlight itself. Aligning them is fine, you do it as you would normally. Did cast a couple of new shadows on the road but apart from that it was much better!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Kansta what angel eyes did u get? where from and how much?

and then you just bought this xenon kit and that was everything you needed?

got any pics?

cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got them on e bay for ?129 + Postage. Then I bought the xenon kit and fitted it all together as those headlights are a real pain to get in and out!!

I will take some pictures today and post them for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Adam thanks for coming back to me on that - I am looking at the angel eye kit as well for the Bora and thinking I might add the the HID kit mentioned above on the dip beam - did you have to drill a hold in the back of your angel eyes to allow for the hid kit add on

With projector lense in the angel eye kit and then adding the hid kit to it on the dip beam was ur light light much improved at night or did it throw the light all over the place as that would be my only worry. We now have a test in Ireland called the NCT similiar to the MOT in the UK and just wondering would the light pass - I assume as long as it was aligned ok ???

Would appreciate your opinion on this

I would like to see some pics of ur lights as well if you can stick them up

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Adam thanks for coming back to me on that - I am looking at the angel eye kit as well for the Bora and thinking I might add the the HID kit mentioned above on the dip beam - did you have to drill a hole in the back of your angel eyes to allow for the hid kit add on

With projector lense in the angel eye kit and then adding the hid kit to it on the dip beam was ur light light much improved at night or did it throw the light all over the place as that would be my only worry. We now have a test in Ireland called the NCT similiar to the MOT in the UK and just wondering would the light pass - I assume as long as it was aligned ok ???

Would appreciate your opinion on this

I would like to see some pics of ur lights as well if you can stick them up

thanks

Paul
Paul, IMO the light is fine but it does throw the light around a bit more as you say. I did get better vision than standard and I would recommend it. But if there are legal tests etc make sure they are aligned properly and that the lights themselves are E Approved then you shouldnt have a big problem.

You do have to drill holes into the back of the plastic on the headlamp, but with the HID kit come rubber gromits which seal it up once you put the wires through so it looks OEM...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Adam - I see the pics from the lights they look class and would look very well. One more little question for you - Did the hid Kit from that crowd fit into the headlight assembly with out making changes to i.e did you just replace you old bulb and fit the hid bulb in using the clip to keep it just just like you would any bulb? other that bar drilling a hole for the wires going to the ballast then did you have to cut any other wires our just simply connect them to ur existing harness

Sorry for the questions just want to be clear as I am near deciding which path to take

The options I seem to have are as follows - 1. use the stock assembly headlight on the bora and the crowd on ebay can supply a bi-zenon option to replace the h4 bulb that currently is on it. This would be the most simple upgrade but I have never seen them fitted to a bora headlight so not sure would the output be good or not as I have not seen anyone try it . Because its bi-xenon it cost a bit more than the ?155 . I think they said itds about 265 euros which seems reasonable enough and the offer a 3 yr warrantly on the ballasts and bulbs

The second is to go for the Angel Eyes from FK Automotive (?150) and Buy a h7 Hid (?155)to put on the dip (projector beam) from the crowd above so all in all would cost close to 500 euros!

Pro with the first would be bi - zenon for a reasonable price but con not entirely sure will the bi-xenon light work well with the hella assembly it should but don't know -

Pro with the second one is I like the look of the Angel Eye Lights for the Bora (see pic attached) and would be good with a H7 for high beam. Again not sure how well light output the hid on the projector will work as I have not seen someone try it with the bora angel eyes or it be too much work to align it right.

Either way I will muddle over it and go with something soon and stick an update when im done.Thanks for help on this as it helped knowing somebody has tried that hid kit and put it in the angel eyes as well.

Either way I will stick an update when I have tried one or even both of the options above

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Paul,

All I had to do was drill the hole. When you order the HID kit you order according to the bulb you will be replacing i.e. H7.

When the kit arrives it attaches directly to the insert as yr old bulb did. The existing power wiresthen plug into the HID ballast. Then from the ballast you plug the new bulb in... I hope i've written that so you can understand it....

So to summarise:

Existing Power Lead -----> To Ballast ------> New Wires From Ballast (inc HID bulb) -----> Through New Hole Drilled In Back Of Headlight ----> To Bulb (i.e where yr old bulb went)

Capisce?

·
Registered
221 Posts
how do gents,

im gonna chuck in my pennies worth, paul are you fitting to a bora iv had hids fitted to my bora without the projector housing ie. in the normal headlamp the results are very impressive and i was well chuffed (it looks like youve got really bright bulbs in there if your looking at the car, behind the wheel you cant tell) but if you want to get the proper xenon effect from far away go for angel eye headlamps from fk im getting some for mine ? 165, they have the beam projector built in and fit to your kit and your away no problem, check out my pics on standard h/lights, whatever path you take you will be impressed but a bit more cash spent and you will get the proper effect, im gonna buy a few kits for my mates from a reputable company if youre interested pm me, hope that clears it up

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/home.php?cat=277

·
Registered
45 Posts
pachange231

thanks for the comments was good to hear that you tried them - can you sent me some pics of the pics of the hid with the standard bora lights - did you try the bi-xenon option or not . I'll pm u with an email address re what I have found so far for pricing as I may be interested.

Adam

that clears it up for me now - suppose won't know how hard it is until I try it - the bi-xenon option sounds good and would be a straight forward install probably - only snag I have is on the passenger headlight where the retaining clip in the headlight is broken - just checked it last night, forgot about it as I broke it years ago when I first got it - spent too many times changing standard bulbs for the so called xenon effect :) and had to put some tape in place to keep the bulb in. So would need to change it first.

I think I may go for the FK option like pachange too as they are a like nicer looking and hopefully the projector in it will work well when combined with the hid kit. Its a bigger job too as the bumper has to come off to replace the headlight

Either way I will keep stick an update and let ye all know how it works out.

appreciate the info given overall, has been very useful

Paul

·
Registered
40 Posts
Best of luck Paul! By changing the headlights to the FK ones, shouldnt that emiminate yr clip problem??

Anyway be sure to post some pics up... Yr bora will def look better if you upgrade the headlights...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts