Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I recently bought an HiD conversion kit, 4300k but have not got round to fitting the kit as yet. I read an article in Auto Express lately saying that these kits are not legal and will NOT pass an MOT.

See the following link: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html

They did use a Renault Megane in this example and I feel the stock light are rubbish in any case. But I dont want to go to the trouble of removing my bumper to fit ballasts get it all set up and then go in for an MOT and fail the light test.

What have other people experiences of fitting HiD kits to their MKivs? Help and advice most appreciated......

Freeglide.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had conversion kits on my previous two cars 4200k on one and 6000k on another. Both went through mot without any problem.

If the kit you have is anything like the ones ive used previously they are plug and play so in the event of a failure it'd take about 10 mins to unplug and hook up a set of standard bulbs. No need to remove the ballast etc as you will be reconnecting once you have your ticket ;-)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had HID kit on my IS200 and it sailed through 3 MOTs no problem. As long as they are aligned correctly you should have no problems

·
Registered
895 Posts
I had HID kit on my IS200 and it sailed through 3 MOTs no problem. As long as they are aligned correctly you should have no problems
How did you go about getting them aligned correctly to ensure the correct aim?

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts
I was told by the nice folks at Hella that legally you should have headlamp washers and auto levelling if you have Xenons fitted,but this wasn't a requirement for the MOT,just that the beam alignment must be ok as for any sort of headlight.
It is however a different thing for the police,they take a very dim (SORRY) view of the whole thing.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
well i have never had any issues with the police. on the last three cars i have owned have all had xenon kits fitted to them!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I was told by the nice folks at Hella that legally you should have headlamp washers and auto levelling if you have Xenons fitted,but this wasn't a requirement for the MOT,just that the beam alignment must be ok as for any sort of headlight.
It is however a different thing for the police,they take a very dim (SORRY) view of the whole thing.

Chris.
The only reason you can fail an MOT on headlights is due to light output colour, they have to have either yellow or white light.

·
Super Moderator
50,212 Posts

Chris.
The only reason you can fail an MOT on headlights is due to light output colour, they have to have either yellow or white light.
This is very subjective though,and as they have no way to measure colour temperature properly (as far as I know),how do they know where to draw the line?

Chris.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
This is very subjective though,and as they have no way to measure colour temperature properly (as far as I know),how do they know where to draw the line?

Chris.
Exactly, so the MOT tester has to use their judgment, which can not always go your way, so I find it's best to ask before having the test done.

·
Registered
472 Posts
in the auto express test note that the car used was an old pug or something which does not have clear headlights like on mk4 golf and i would have thought that the beam is not as precise

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Here's what I've been able to find out:

For the purposes of an MOT, there must be a clearly defined beam pattern suitable for driving on the left with the pattern at the correct height. The colour must be yellow or white as judged by the tester. That's it.

The Megane tested by Autoexpress failed because it could not display the proper beam pattern if I remember correctly.

For the purposes of type approval (which all new cars must conform to) there is also a requirement for auto-levelling and headlamp washers if HID lights are fitted. These things are NOT tested as part of the MOT. So if you have an aftermarket kit without washers etc and you were stopped by a knowledgeable (or grumpy) policeman I suppose you could be done.

To summarise, the MOT test involves a number of safety related checks, it is not intended to check the legality of your car in terms of whether it conforms to all the regulations. So your car can pass an MOT even if it has some illegal items fitted. Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is a statement from the technical director at hella UK after my enquiry about fitting hid's to hella celis lights:

Hi Tony

<o:p> </o:p>

Sorry but they are wrong and somewhere on those websites there will

probably be a disclaimer about road use. They may well be e-marked but

they are not approved for use with any headlamp on the market manufactured by any company.

All halogen lamps are tested and approved with the lens and reflector designed around halogen filament bulbs working to very precise tolerances.

The bulbsin these HID kits are not tested with any headlamp. Fitting this

'upgrade' will not create the correct beam pattern, causing glare in some parts and not enough light output in others. Also the gas in a xenon bulb is ignited by a ballast unit, using 27,000 volts, so there is a serious danger of electrocution or melting of any wiring with an untested ballast unit.

You are correct that all vehicles with xenon lighting have to have headlamp washer systems and automatic levelling fitted by law, but this does not overide the basic approval certification of the lamp itself.

The Department of Transport are very clear on the matter and state:

"Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal. .... In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated".

The trouble with forums is that they're not really thinking about endangering the lives of other road users or other legalities. It's all about the look.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards

Technical Advisor

Hella Limited

Wildmere Industrial Estate

Banbury, Oxfordshire

OX16 3JU

England, UK

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mind how you go blinding everyone else on the road aswell!!

Hid lights should only be used through projector lenses to focus the light as otherwise it scatters everywhere and blinds other road users.

There was also a MOT notice issued to testing stations regarding this danger and they should be failing MOT tests

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I just got my car back from passing it's MOT.

The car has FK projector lenses with angel eyes.

I have fitted a HID kit (6000k) and I have changed the angel eyes to EL wire.

I requested to have the headlights adjused before the test.

No problems for me.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
So long as the headlamp output can form a pattern on the head lamp beam tester, it can be assessed and adjusted or failed. The white / yellow would have to be a long way off colour for a tester to fail it, ie blue.

@ tonyadamson your man maybe incorrect on the road traffic act 1988, here is the appropriate legislation:

Statutory Instrument 1989 No. 1796 <br xmlns:auto-ns1="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl" xmlns:xql="#xql-functions" xmlns:local="#local-functions" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" /><b xmlns:auto-ns1="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl" xmlns:xql="#xql-functions" xmlns:local="#local-functions" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt">The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989[/B] - continued <br xmlns:auto-ns1="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl" xmlns:xql="#xql-functions" xmlns:local="#local-functions" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" />

And:

<hr xmlns:auto-ns1="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl" xmlns:xql="#xql-functions" xmlns:local="#local-functions" xmlns:msxsl="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xslt" />
2005 No. 2559
ROAD TRAFFIC
The Road Vehicles Lighting (Amendment) Regulations 2005​

Made13th September 2005
Laid before Parliament20th September 2005
Coming into force

1 - 20 of 42 Posts